Sign in with
Your question

Starting Windows takes forever, then many things might happen.

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
September 10, 2012 3:57:40 AM

Hello again everyone. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Today I bring you many different problems. I was extracting some files using 7zip today and they were taking forever to extract, so i left them up and took a shower. When I got back maybe 30-60 minutes later, I was greeted by the bsod, (i cant remember what the message or anything that was on it), so, seeing as how it was the first time I'd seen the message, i followed my usual protocol and force restarted. This is where the problems started.

From then on, whenever i get to the screen with the Microsoft logo and the "starting windows" text, it would take a VERY LONG time for anything to happen. i thought maybe I could do a system repair, but nope, nothing accomplished there.

System restore? Nothing was going wrong on this build so I never thought to set up a system restore point so can't do anything there.

Safe mode? Nope, that freezes while loading classpnp.sys

Hardware issues? The only issue I can see that would cause any issues is my WD HDD, but after unplugging it and plugging it back in, I can't see any difference.

System Repair tells me there's something wrong with my registry so it attempts a rollback, but fails.

When I try to just wait out the Starting windows screen, I'm greeted by either a BSOD with bad_system_config_info or a disk check that only appeared once and froze when it was finished.

So, as of right now, all I can see to do is reinstall windows or try to repair it from there, but I have a feeling that wont work either.

I'm sitting here on a laptop, next to my build as it tries to load advanced options in system repair, so I really can't do anything except go into the BIOS.

My question to you, tomshardware, is what in gods name can I do to fix this?
a b $ Windows 7
September 10, 2012 4:09:12 AM

If I had to guess I'd say you disk is dying.

burn memtest86+ to a disk and let it run a few passes.

Boot off the windows CD into recovery console and run
chkdsk /r
and
sfc /scannow

Try and boot. If that doesn't work pull the drive, connect it to the laptop, pull all your stuff off, and reinstall
m
l
September 10, 2012 4:14:36 AM

unksol said:
If I had to guess I'd say you disk is dying.

burn memtest86+ to a disk and let it run a few passes.

Boot off the windows CD into recovery console and run
chkdsk /r
and
sfc /scannow

Try and boot. If that doesn't work pull the drive, connect it to the laptop, pull all your stuff off, and reinstall

Already let memtest run 2 passes, but the screen disappeared too fast and I didn't catch anything after it was done. It immediatley started trying to start windows again. Also, I don't have the windows CD with me at the moment, so can i just use the system repair command prompt?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 10, 2012 7:56:01 AM

sorox said:
Already let memtest run 2 passes, but the screen disappeared too fast and I didn't catch anything after it was done. It immediatley started trying to start windows again. Also, I don't have the windows CD with me at the moment, so can i just use the system repair command prompt?

If you can get to the CMD prompt give it a try. Are you able to burn a new install disk on your lappy? Download Windows from here
http://forum.notebookreview.com/windows-os-software/604...
m
l
!