[Announce] Fourth Excerpt Hunt: And the winners are...

....Jonathan Blask, Duncan Stevens, and Kevin Yao with 21 correctly
identified excerpts out of 30. Dylan O'Donnell and Admiral Jota are
runners up with 16 out of 30.

Those wishing to consult the original list may do so at:
http://members.aol.com/jdyer41/contest3.html

The excerpts were from:
1 - Amnesia by Thomas Disch
2 - Augmented Fourths by Brian Uri
3 - No Time to Squeal by Robb Sherwin and Mike Sousa
4 - Nord and Bert Couldn't Make Head or Tail of It by Jeff O'Neill
5 - Humbug by Graham Cluley
6 - Bugsy by Priscilla Langridge
7 - Savoir Faire by Emily Short
8 - Empire of the Over-Mind by National Microcomputer Associates
9 - Inevitable by T. L. Heinrich
10 - Astronomy without a Telescope by George Jenner
11 - Shades of Gray by Mark Baker, Steve Bauman, Belisana,
Mike Laskey, Judith Pintar, Hercules, and Cindy Yans
12 - Yellow Peril by Dorothy Millard
13 - Guilty Bastards by Kent Tessman
14 - Zyll by IBM Corp
15 - Pick Up the Phone Booth and Aisle by various
16 - Pick Up the Phone Booth and Die by Rob Noyes
17 - Demon's Tomb - The Awakening by Mastertonic
18 - Dreamhold by Andrew Plotkin
19 - Stephen King's "The Mist" by Angelsoft
20 - La Llamada de Cthulhu by Chryshantemum Adventures
21 - Plundered Hearts by Amy Briggs
22 - Circus by Wherner Barnes and Brian Howarth
23 - The Door to Utopia by David Whyld
24 - Lock and Key by Adam Cadre
25 - Tinseltown Blues by Chip Hayes
26 - The Beetmonger's Journal by Scott Starkey
27 - The Second Pit by Sue Medley
28 - Blue Chairs by Chris Klimas
29 - Star Rider by Maximilian Kalus
30 - ASCII and the Argonauts by J. Robinson Wheeler

Some commentary on selected excerpts:
Nobody got 1, 3, 11, 13, 25 or 26. (The runner-up team seemed to know 25 but
mangled the title enough that I couldn't give credit.)

#6 is a standard Chicago gangster story where the protaganist, is, yes,
a giant rabbit. The character interaction system has an expanded set
of commands (conveyed via menu) and is worth a look.

#10 is roomless IF. (If you want to know how this is accomplished, feel free
to download the game from if-archive and find out.)

#11 is a repeat of a game from Excerpt Hunt #2. Nobody got the game that
year, either. This makes me sad. Go play it, already. There will be a quiz
later.

#12 is mentioned in the Inform Developer's Manual in a footnote. This seems
to be how the winning teams found it.

#14 is multiplayer IF. It is playable in cooperative or competitive mode.

#16 is in fact an identical excerpt to something from Excerpt Hunt #2, except
it is a different year. I mention in the wrap-up post (after Hunt #2) that
one group guessed Pick Up the Phone Booth and Die but it was the
wrong year. Not so this time. Ha!

#17 starts from the perspective of a character who is doomed. What you
manage to do as that character affects what happens later. Also, the
entire story is told in third person.

#20 is a Cthulhu game in Spanish. The punctation hopefully served as a clue
to this.

So, that's all folks. Feel free to nudge me if you have any further questions.

Incidentally, excerpt Hunt #4 (whenever that is) will have prizes in addition
to other changes.

---
Jason Dyer
jdyer41@aol.com

#1 was the only one I recognized at first reading! therefore I didn't
enter.

Of course, you have no reason to believe me ... but I'm not lying.

"Ross Presser" <rpresser@imtek.com> wrote in message
> On 30 Jan 2005 08:42:41 GMT, Jdyer41 wrote:
>
> > Some commentary on selected excerpts:
> > Nobody got 1, 3, 11, 13, 25 or 26. (The runner-up team seemed to know 25
but
> > mangled the title enough that I couldn't give credit.)
>
> #1 was the only one I recognized at first reading! therefore I didn't
> enter.
>
> Of course, you have no reason to believe me ... but I'm not lying.

I knew it too... and I'm also not lying. :)

Also, isn't the copyright date wrong on the "Heinrich" (aka Fischer) work?
I downloaded both versions that are on the archive, and as far as I can tell
they're both 2003.

--
Daphne

>Daphne Brinkerhoff wrote:
>Also, isn't the copyright date wrong on the "Heinrich" (aka Fischer) work?
>I downloaded both versions that are on the archive, and as far as I can tell
>they're both 2003.

From the version released for the Spring Thing contest:

Inevitable
Copyright (c) 2002 by T. L. Heinrich
Release 1 / Serial number 030225 / Inform v6.21 Library 6/10

-- Jason Dyer

"Jdyer41" <jdyer41@aol.com> wrote in message
> >Daphne Brinkerhoff wrote:
> >Also, isn't the copyright date wrong on the "Heinrich" (aka Fischer)
work?
> >I downloaded both versions that are on the archive, and as far as I can
tell
> >they're both 2003.
>
> From the version released for the Spring Thing contest:
>
> Inevitable
> Copyright (c) 2002 by T. L. Heinrich
> Release 1 / Serial number 030225 / Inform v6.21 Library 6/10

My God, I'm completely insane. I just checked my Heinrich copy and you're
totally right. Sorry for being confused.

--
Daphne