Can't install slightly older games like Half Life or Baldu..

My Dell XPS Gen 3 won't let me install Halflife 1 or Baldur's Gate 1. All I
get is the following error message:

"C:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt. The System file is not suitable for
running MS-Dos and Microsoft Windows applications. Chose "close" to
terminate the application."

Does any one out there know why this is happening? If not, who should I
ask, Dell, Microsoft or the game companies themselves? Someone else told me
it was a compatibility issue but attempting to run the installer with the
compatability set to Win. '98 didn't work either.

Any advice/info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim.
3 answers Last reply
More about install slightly older games half life baldu

    Hi Jimbis,

    It's a big problem, but there's an EASY solution! :-)

    Here's an easy method to solve that error:
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#16bit

    If that doesn't correct the issue, try this manual method:

    1. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\repair
    Right-Click and Copy the file named: autoexec.nt *

    2. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\System32
    Right-Click in that window to Paste the file
    (Answer yes if prompted to replace existing file)

    * Note: If the file autoexec.nt doesn't exist on your system
    right click the link below and select the "Save Target As.."
    option to save the file in C:\WINDOWS\System32
    http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/AUTOEXEC.NT

    --
    Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    "jimbis67" <jimbis67@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1F3A7AC3-319A-4474-833C-ADB9E017B3EA@microsoft.com...
    | My Dell XPS Gen 3 won't let me install Halflife 1 or Baldur's Gate 1. All I
    | get is the following error message:
    |
    | "C:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt. The System file is not suitable for
    | running MS-Dos and Microsoft Windows applications. Chose "close" to
    | terminate the application."
    |
    | Does any one out there know why this is happening? If not, who should I
    | ask, Dell, Microsoft or the game companies themselves? Someone else told me
    | it was a compatibility issue but attempting to run the installer with the
    | compatability set to Win. '98 didn't work either.
    |
    | Any advice/info would be greatly appreciated.
    |
    | Thanks,
    |
    | Jim.

    Wow! That certainly did it. Thanks so much, Jimmy S. In your honor I'm
    going to name my Baldur's Gate character Jimmy S. -- Or pissibly Scarrgorre
    The Destroyer, I haven't quite decided yet. :-)

    Thanks again for the help,

    Jim.

    "Jimmy S." wrote:

    > Hi Jimbis,
    >
    > It's a big problem, but there's an EASY solution! :-)
    >
    > Here's an easy method to solve that error:
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#16bit
    >
    > If that doesn't correct the issue, try this manual method:
    >
    > 1. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\repair
    > Right-Click and Copy the file named: autoexec.nt *
    >
    > 2. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\System32
    > Right-Click in that window to Paste the file
    > (Answer yes if prompted to replace existing file)
    >

    > * Note: If the file autoexec.nt doesn't exist on your system
    > right click the link below and select the "Save Target As.."
    > option to save the file in C:\WINDOWS\System32
    > http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/AUTOEXEC.NT
    >
    > --
    > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    > Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
    > MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
    >
    > "jimbis67" <jimbis67@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1F3A7AC3-319A-4474-833C-ADB9E017B3EA@microsoft.com...
    > | My Dell XPS Gen 3 won't let me install Halflife 1 or Baldur's Gate 1. All I
    > | get is the following error message:
    > |
    > | "C:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt. The System file is not suitable for
    > | running MS-Dos and Microsoft Windows applications. Chose "close" to
    > | terminate the application."
    > |
    > | Does any one out there know why this is happening? If not, who should I
    > | ask, Dell, Microsoft or the game companies themselves? Someone else told me
    > | it was a compatibility issue but attempting to run the installer with the
    > | compatability set to Win. '98 didn't work either.
    > |
    > | Any advice/info would be greatly appreciated.
    > |
    > | Thanks,
    > |
    > | Jim.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games (More info?)

    LOL - Go with Scarrgorre - it sounds a lot better! :-)

    Cheers,
    Jimmy.

    "jimbis67" <jimbis67@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9768CCB7-A20E-437E-BF1A-28AEADB0791B@microsoft.com...
    | Wow! That certainly did it. Thanks so much, Jimmy S. In your honor I'm
    | going to name my Baldur's Gate character Jimmy S. -- Or pissibly Scarrgorre
    | The Destroyer, I haven't quite decided yet. :-)
    |
    | Thanks again for the help,
    |
    | Jim.
    |
    | "Jimmy S." wrote:
    |
    | > Hi Jimbis,
    | >
    | > It's a big problem, but there's an EASY solution! :-)
    | >
    | > Here's an easy method to solve that error:
    | > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#16bit
    | >
    | > If that doesn't correct the issue, try this manual method:
    | >
    | > 1. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\repair
    | > Right-Click and Copy the file named: autoexec.nt *
    | >
    | > 2. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\System32
    | > Right-Click in that window to Paste the file
    | > (Answer yes if prompted to replace existing file)
    | >

    | > * Note: If the file autoexec.nt doesn't exist on your system
    | > right click the link below and select the "Save Target As.."
    | > option to save the file in C:\WINDOWS\System32
    | > http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/AUTOEXEC.NT
    | >
    | > --
    | > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
    | > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    | >

    | > Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
    | > Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
    | > MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
    | > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
    | >
    | > "jimbis67" <jimbis67@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1F3A7AC3-319A-4474-833C-ADB9E017B3EA@microsoft.com...
    | > | My Dell XPS Gen 3 won't let me install Halflife 1 or Baldur's Gate 1. All I
    | > | get is the following error message:
    | > |
    | > | "C:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt. The System file is not suitable for
    | > | running MS-Dos and Microsoft Windows applications. Chose "close" to
    | > | terminate the application."
    | > |
    | > | Does any one out there know why this is happening? If not, who should I
    | > | ask, Dell, Microsoft or the game companies themselves? Someone else told me
    | > | it was a compatibility issue but attempting to run the installer with the
    | > | compatability set to Win. '98 didn't work either.
    | > |
    | > | Any advice/info would be greatly appreciated.
    | > |
    | > | Thanks,
    | > |
    | > | Jim.

Dell Studio Xps Games Microsoft Video Games