Hard one - No floppy, with sata, won't boot and can't do s..

MMM.

Somethinhg happened on the pc - this blew the floppy controller and affected
the sata raid. The raid did a scandisk (it's xp by the way), but now gets
stuck on std and limited boot.

OK - so I try to get into to recovery console to recover to an earlier time
with system restore.
But I can't see the disks - they are via raid sata - they need a specific
raid cintroller mass storage driver - but I can't load it cos I have no
floppy. !!!!

Any ideas. I have usb's, bootable cd rom - but can not think of any way to
get access to the drives.

I can boot into linux - so can download any software.

Then I try and ask Microsoft - and they want the product ID - and you need
windows for tht - all I can see on the packaging is the product key - and
that does not work

Now - that's a problem !!!!

Help please

Mike
8 answers Last reply
More about hard floppy sata boot

    Best place for help is your computer manufacturer's web site.

    > MMM.
    >
    > Somethinhg happened on the pc - this blew the floppy controller and
    > affected
    > the sata raid. The raid did a scandisk (it's xp by the way), but now gets
    > stuck on std and limited boot.
    >
    > OK - so I try to get into to recovery console to recover to an earlier
    > time
    > with system restore.
    > But I can't see the disks - they are via raid sata - they need a specific
    > raid cintroller mass storage driver - but I can't load it cos I have no
    > floppy. !!!!
    >
    > Any ideas. I have usb's, bootable cd rom - but can not think of any way
    > get access to the drives.
    >
    > I can boot into linux - so can download any software.
    >
    > Then I try and ask Microsoft - and they want the product ID - and you need
    > windows for tht - all I can see on the packaging is the product key - and
    > that does not work

    A very awkward workaround would be to install a hard drive on the IDE
    channel (assuming there is one) and install a bootable instance of Windows
    on that disk. You should be able to install the RAID drivers on that
    instance to access your RAID drives.

    I have done this once before on Small Business Server 2003 and the continued
    reliance on floppy diskettes, one of the most unreliable computer media
    available, is mind-boggling.

    Once you've done whatever it is you need to do on the RAID drives or created
    a bootable Windows CD with the RAID drivers, you can simply unplug the IDE
    drive and revert to booting on the RAID array.

    Good Luck,

    Carl

    Carl,

    The "what I need to do" - I think is to recover a system checkpoint - which
    would meen booting onto the sata drives - so maybe this would not be enough

    But creating a bootable cd-rom >> that sounds interesting - how do I create
    a cd-rom that has all the elements to boot (as the distribution cd) - but has
    the raid drivers?

    Thanks for your reply.

    Mike

    > Carl,
    >
    > The "what I need to do" - I think is to recover a system checkpoint -
    > which
    > would meen booting onto the sata drives - so maybe this would not be
    > enough
    >
    > But creating a bootable cd-rom >> that sounds interesting - how do I
    > create
    > a cd-rom that has all the elements to boot (as the distribution cd) - but
    > has
    > the raid drivers?

    You would slipstream a bootable Windows XP SP2 CD with your RAID Drivers.

    Here are the instructions for adding your RAID/SATA drivers:
    http://unattended.msfn.org/intermediate/drivers/raid.htm

    Here are instructions for slipstreaming a bootable CD:
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp

    Good luck

    Carl

    Thanks Carl, that's great

    I will give it a go - looks hard - but doable

    Again - many thanks
    Mike

    > Thanks Carl, that's great
    >
    > I will give it a go - looks hard - but doable

    The whole concept of "slipstreaming" sounds a lot harder than it is to
    actually do. I don't do many, but the few I have done were a snap. I
    believe I may have used some free slipstreaming tool, but I have since
    forgotten what that may have been. It may have been nLite, which is now
    nLiteOS, a very cool looking tool.

    http://www.nliteos.com/nlite.html

    Good Luck,

    Carl

    On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 11:24:01 -0700, "Mike"
    <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >MMM.
    >
    >Somethinhg happened on the pc - this blew the floppy controller and affected
    >the sata raid. The raid did a scandisk (it's xp by the way), but now gets
    >stuck on std and limited boot.
    >
    >OK - so I try to get into to recovery console to recover to an earlier time
    >with system restore.
    >But I can't see the disks - they are via raid sata - they need a specific
    >raid cintroller mass storage driver - but I can't load it cos I have no
    >floppy. !!!!
    >
    >Any ideas. I have usb's, bootable cd rom - but can not think of any way to
    >get access to the drives.
    >
    >I can boot into linux - so can download any software.
    >
    >Then I try and ask Microsoft - and they want the product ID - and you need
    >windows for tht - all I can see on the packaging is the product key - and
    >that does not work

    I guess I shouldn't ask about booting from a raid array, but I still
    try to stick with standard ATA non-raid hooked to the motherboard. My
    data drives are SATA and/or RAID.

    In any event, there's a PE-like boot CD called BartPE that accepts
    plugins. I have NO idea whether you'll be able to kludge your raid
    drivers in place. Just wanted to point you to the site in case it's
    of use:

    http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

    On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 14:17:00 -0700, "Vagabond Software"
    <vagabondsw-X-@-X-gmail.com> wrote:

    >"Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> But creating a bootable cd-rom >> that sounds interesting - how do I
    >> create
    >> a cd-rom that has all the elements to boot (as the distribution cd) - but
    >> has
    >> the raid drivers?
    >
    >You would slipstream a bootable Windows XP SP2 CD with your RAID Drivers.
    >
    >Here are the instructions for adding your RAID/SATA drivers:
    >http://unattended.msfn.org/intermediate/drivers/raid.htm

    I had just posted about BartPE (http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/), which I
    believe allows slipstreaming some mods. If the driver additions work,
    then BartPE may be able to create a bootable CD with SATA Raid
    support. That would be interesting to see.

    Mike, if you try that, please report back on whether it works.

    Here are a couple more URLs that I had jotted down re BartPE:
    PE Builder: http://www.paraglidernc.com/
    Forum: http://www.911cd.net/forums/

NAS / RAID Floppy Disk SATA Windows XP