Hard one - No floppy, with sata, won't boot and can't do s..

July 9, 2005 3:24:01 PM

MMM.

Somethinhg happened on the pc - this blew the floppy controller and affected
the sata raid. The raid did a scandisk (it's xp by the way), but now gets
stuck on std and limited boot.

OK - so I try to get into to recovery console to recover to an earlier time
with system restore.
But I can't see the disks - they are via raid sata - they need a specific
raid cintroller mass storage driver - but I can't load it cos I have no
floppy. !!!!

Any ideas. I have usb's, bootable cd rom - but can not think of any way to
get access to the drives.

I can boot into linux - so can download any software.

Then I try and ask Microsoft - and they want the product ID - and you need
windows for tht - all I can see on the packaging is the product key - and
that does not work

Now - that's a problem !!!!

Help please

Mike

More about : hard floppy sata boot

July 9, 2005 3:49:03 PM

Best place for help is your computer manufacturer's web site.

"Mike" wrote:

> MMM.
>
> Somethinhg happened on the pc - this blew the floppy controller and affected
> the sata raid. The raid did a scandisk (it's xp by the way), but now gets
> stuck on std and limited boot.
>
> OK - so I try to get into to recovery console to recover to an earlier time
> with system restore.
> But I can't see the disks - they are via raid sata - they need a specific
> raid cintroller mass storage driver - but I can't load it cos I have no
> floppy. !!!!
>
> Any ideas. I have usb's, bootable cd rom - but can not think of any way to
> get access to the drives.
>
> I can boot into linux - so can download any software.
>
> Then I try and ask Microsoft - and they want the product ID - and you need
> windows for tht - all I can see on the packaging is the product key - and
> that does not work
>
> Now - that's a problem !!!!
>
> Help please
>

> Mike
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 4:21:41 PM

> MMM.
>
> Somethinhg happened on the pc - this blew the floppy controller and
> affected
> the sata raid. The raid did a scandisk (it's xp by the way), but now gets
> stuck on std and limited boot.
>
> OK - so I try to get into to recovery console to recover to an earlier
> time
> with system restore.
> But I can't see the disks - they are via raid sata - they need a specific
> raid cintroller mass storage driver - but I can't load it cos I have no
> floppy. !!!!
>
> Any ideas. I have usb's, bootable cd rom - but can not think of any way
> get access to the drives.
>
> I can boot into linux - so can download any software.
>
> Then I try and ask Microsoft - and they want the product ID - and you need
> windows for tht - all I can see on the packaging is the product key - and
> that does not work

A very awkward workaround would be to install a hard drive on the IDE
channel (assuming there is one) and install a bootable instance of Windows
on that disk. You should be able to install the RAID drivers on that
instance to access your RAID drives.

I have done this once before on Small Business Server 2003 and the continued
reliance on floppy diskettes, one of the most unreliable computer media
available, is mind-boggling.

Once you've done whatever it is you need to do on the RAID drives or created
a bootable Windows CD with the RAID drivers, you can simply unplug the IDE
drive and revert to booting on the RAID array.

Good Luck,

Carl
Related resources
July 9, 2005 5:45:01 PM

Carl,

The "what I need to do" - I think is to recover a system checkpoint - which
would meen booting onto the sata drives - so maybe this would not be enough

But creating a bootable cd-rom >> that sounds interesting - how do I create
a cd-rom that has all the elements to boot (as the distribution cd) - but has
the raid drivers?

Thanks for your reply.

Mike

"Vagabond Software" wrote:

> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > MMM.
> >
> > Somethinhg happened on the pc - this blew the floppy controller and
> > affected
> > the sata raid. The raid did a scandisk (it's xp by the way), but now gets
> > stuck on std and limited boot.
> >
> > OK - so I try to get into to recovery console to recover to an earlier
> > time
> > with system restore.
> > But I can't see the disks - they are via raid sata - they need a specific
> > raid cintroller mass storage driver - but I can't load it cos I have no
> > floppy. !!!!
> >
> > Any ideas. I have usb's, bootable cd rom - but can not think of any way
> > get access to the drives.
> >
> > I can boot into linux - so can download any software.
> >
> > Then I try and ask Microsoft - and they want the product ID - and you need
> > windows for tht - all I can see on the packaging is the product key - and
> > that does not work
>
> A very awkward workaround would be to install a hard drive on the IDE
> channel (assuming there is one) and install a bootable instance of Windows
> on that disk. You should be able to install the RAID drivers on that
> instance to access your RAID drives.
>
> I have done this once before on Small Business Server 2003 and the continued
> reliance on floppy diskettes, one of the most unreliable computer media
> available, is mind-boggling.
>
> Once you've done whatever it is you need to do on the RAID drives or created
> a bootable Windows CD with the RAID drivers, you can simply unplug the IDE
> drive and revert to booting on the RAID array.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Carl

Anonymous
July 9, 2005 6:17:00 PM

> Carl,
>
> The "what I need to do" - I think is to recover a system checkpoint -
> which
> would meen booting onto the sata drives - so maybe this would not be
> enough
>
> But creating a bootable cd-rom >> that sounds interesting - how do I
> create
> a cd-rom that has all the elements to boot (as the distribution cd) - but
> has
> the raid drivers?

You would slipstream a bootable Windows XP SP2 CD with your RAID Drivers.

Here are the instructions for adding your RAID/SATA drivers:
http://unattended.msfn.org/intermediate/drivers/raid.ht...

Here are instructions for slipstreaming a bootable CD:
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slip...

Good luck

Carl
July 10, 2005 11:25:05 AM

Thanks Carl, that's great

I will give it a go - looks hard - but doable

Again - many thanks
Mike

"Vagabond Software" wrote:

> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Carl,
> >
> > The "what I need to do" - I think is to recover a system checkpoint -
> > which
> > would meen booting onto the sata drives - so maybe this would not be
> > enough
> >
> > But creating a bootable cd-rom >> that sounds interesting - how do I
> > create
> > a cd-rom that has all the elements to boot (as the distribution cd) - but
> > has
> > the raid drivers?
>
> You would slipstream a bootable Windows XP SP2 CD with your RAID Drivers.
>
> Here are the instructions for adding your RAID/SATA drivers:
> http://unattended.msfn.org/intermediate/drivers/raid.ht...
>
> Here are instructions for slipstreaming a bootable CD:
> http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slip...
>

> Good luck
>
> Carl

Anonymous
July 10, 2005 10:37:04 PM

> Thanks Carl, that's great
>
> I will give it a go - looks hard - but doable

The whole concept of "slipstreaming" sounds a lot harder than it is to
actually do. I don't do many, but the few I have done were a snap. I
believe I may have used some free slipstreaming tool, but I have since
forgotten what that may have been. It may have been nLite, which is now
nLiteOS, a very cool looking tool.

http://www.nliteos.com/nlite.html

Good Luck,

Carl
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 9:32:21 AM

On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 11:24:01 -0700, "Mike"
<Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>MMM.
>
>Somethinhg happened on the pc - this blew the floppy controller and affected
>the sata raid. The raid did a scandisk (it's xp by the way), but now gets
>stuck on std and limited boot.
>
>OK - so I try to get into to recovery console to recover to an earlier time
>with system restore.
>But I can't see the disks - they are via raid sata - they need a specific
>raid cintroller mass storage driver - but I can't load it cos I have no
>floppy. !!!!
>
>Any ideas. I have usb's, bootable cd rom - but can not think of any way to
>get access to the drives.
>
>I can boot into linux - so can download any software.
>
>Then I try and ask Microsoft - and they want the product ID - and you need
>windows for tht - all I can see on the packaging is the product key - and
>that does not work

I guess I shouldn't ask about booting from a raid array, but I still
try to stick with standard ATA non-raid hooked to the motherboard. My
data drives are SATA and/or RAID.

In any event, there's a PE-like boot CD called BartPE that accepts
plugins. I have NO idea whether you'll be able to kludge your raid
drivers in place. Just wanted to point you to the site in case it's
of use:

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 9:37:12 AM

On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 14:17:00 -0700, "Vagabond Software"
<vagabondsw-X-@-X-gmail.com> wrote:

>"Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> But creating a bootable cd-rom >> that sounds interesting - how do I
>> create
>> a cd-rom that has all the elements to boot (as the distribution cd) - but
>> has
>> the raid drivers?
>
>You would slipstream a bootable Windows XP SP2 CD with your RAID Drivers.
>
>Here are the instructions for adding your RAID/SATA drivers:
>http://unattended.msfn.org/intermediate/drivers/raid.ht...

I had just posted about BartPE (http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/), which I
believe allows slipstreaming some mods. If the driver additions work,
then BartPE may be able to create a bootable CD with SATA Raid
support. That would be interesting to see.

Mike, if you try that, please report back on whether it works.

Here are a couple more URLs that I had jotted down re BartPE:
PE Builder: http://www.paraglidernc.com/
Forum: http://www.911cd.net/forums/
!