Sign in with
Your question

Add more RAM, 2 or 1 stick?

Last response: in Memory
October 24, 2004 7:37:37 AM

Hi, Have NForce2 400 chipset MB with 2500 Barton OCed to 3200+, 512RAM Corsair 3200C2 memory. Have 1 of 3 memory slots filled now. Want to add 1 gig to have 1.5 gig. Not interested in "dual channel" stuff. Should I get 1gig stick or 2 512meg sticks of Corsair, or could I get another cheaper brand that will run at 2.5CAS, and still work ok with Corsair. (CAS2 with this stuff is only for 2700 speed).
Want to reduce load times for Battlefield 42 Mod Desert Combat Final. Used to be the Hard Drive was the factor in slow loadings, now it is how much ram you have, heh, times do change.
Thanks all,
Take-Out
Hi Crash, you are doing a good job for all here.

"We killed OUR Hitler" - attributed to Paul McCartney (If so, then well done, sir)

More about : add ram stick

October 24, 2004 6:25:54 PM

If you don't care about dual channel you are probably better off just getting 2 512mb sticks of ram if you want 1.5gb. You should probably keep all the modules the same if you can afford it.
If you want to drastically reduce your loading time just get a couple Western Digital Raptors and stripe them.
I have 2 36.7gb raptors in a raid0 and I have yet to find a game that takes more than a few seconds to load.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>
October 24, 2004 7:13:37 PM

Hi
Thanks Folken, for replying, I appreciate your time and thought. Speedier hard drives was what I was goinng to do until talking to several players whose only difference was having 1-1.5 gig of ram as opposed to my 512m. They were loading within 6 seconds, and mine took almost 45 seconds.
It was a shock to me also, but you can't argue with success. I am running a 60G IBM (good one) at 7200rpm and ATA 100, with healthy transfers. They were runninng about the same, maybe SATA 150 in one case. Yes, the Raptor was the one I was going to get, and may when I get the SATA 300 in the NForce4 chipset comming out. I will probably get the 2ea 512m rams as that is the slightly faster and cheaper way to go, as you state.
Thanks again.
Take-Out

"We killed OUR Hitler" - attributed to Paul McCartney (If so, then well done, sir)
Related resources
October 24, 2004 11:38:01 PM

Thanks Folken,
I picked up 2 sticks of Kingston KVR400X64C25/512 at Newegg.com for 88 usd refurbished, and they should do me just fine, in addition, there is a chance I will use them in a 64-bit Athlon come winter I will prob build. They are all supposed to run at same clocks.
Take-Out

October 27, 2004 11:51:23 PM

Got the two sticks of Kingston KVR400X64C25/512 for $190 total from Newegg refurb. They work wonderfully, and my load times are faster by a factor of 50. It worked. I guesst the smaller memory needs compression or something.
Thanks
Take-Out

!