using xp boot disks on new hard drive

I have a gateway 1200 and I have a new HD[120G].I was using a winME
bootdisk with fdisk that would read large HD. But it isn't working.
In above post "computer beeps 3 times", I was trying to install a new
hard drive and install win XP.CD don't want to boot. I have checked bios.
I thought,can I use win XP boot disks[6] to try and install xp.
I will try it.
4 answers Last reply
More about using boot disks hard drive

    Hi,

    You can use the boot disks, but if your system supports booting from a CD
    then you shouldn't have to.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > You can use the boot disks, but if your system supports booting from a CD
    > then you shouldn't have to.

    I used the disks then put in cd when prompted but CD drive is not
    working.I still believe it's a bios problem with not recognizing the
    120G HD properly.I give up for now.

    Hi,

    How old is the machine?
    Have you checked with Gateway for an updated BIOS?

    Basically, any system built in the past 4-5 years should be able to handle a
    120GB drive without issue.

    --

    Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > How old is the machine?
    > Have you checked with Gateway for an updated BIOS?
    >
    > Basically, any system built in the past 4-5 years should be able to handle a
    > 120GB drive without issue.

    Thanks I will check the gateway page.

Boot Hard Drives Windows XP