Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

using xp boot disks on new hard drive

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 6:27:39 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I have a gateway 1200 and I have a new HD[120G].I was using a winME
bootdisk with fdisk that would read large HD. But it isn't working.
In above post "computer beeps 3 times", I was trying to install a new
hard drive and install win XP.CD don't want to boot. I have checked bios.
I thought,can I use win XP boot disks[6] to try and install xp.
I will try it.

More about : boot disks hard drive

Anonymous
July 9, 2005 9:57:33 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi,

You can use the boot disks, but if your system supports booting from a CD
then you shouldn't have to.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Joe K" <JoeK@alt.microsoft> wrote in message
news:u43HPPLhFHA.2840@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>I have a gateway 1200 and I have a new HD[120G].I was using a winME
>bootdisk with fdisk that would read large HD. But it isn't working.
> In above post "computer beeps 3 times", I was trying to install a new hard
> drive and install win XP.CD don't want to boot. I have checked bios.
> I thought,can I use win XP boot disks[6] to try and install xp.
> I will try it.
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 3:45:30 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> You can use the boot disks, but if your system supports booting from a CD
> then you shouldn't have to.
>
I used the disks then put in cd when prompted but CD drive is not
working.I still believe it's a bios problem with not recognizing the
120G HD properly.I give up for now.
Related resources
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 11:32:26 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi,

How old is the machine?
Have you checked with Gateway for an updated BIOS?

Basically, any system built in the past 4-5 years should be able to handle a
120GB drive without issue.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Joe K" <JoeK@alt.microsoft> wrote in message
news:o aOw8GQhFHA.576@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> You can use the boot disks, but if your system supports booting from a CD
>> then you shouldn't have to.
>>
> I used the disks then put in cd when prompted but CD drive is not
> working.I still believe it's a bios problem with not recognizing the 120G
> HD properly.I give up for now.
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 10:06:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How old is the machine?
> Have you checked with Gateway for an updated BIOS?
>
> Basically, any system built in the past 4-5 years should be able to handle a
> 120GB drive without issue.
>
Thanks I will check the gateway page.
!