Sign in with
Your question

Flashing 1 inch green bar appears out of nowhere on my LCD

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
April 10, 2007 12:18:01 PM

So, i'm completely baffled. I have a compaq r4000, and it has served me well so far. But the other day, this green bar appeared on the right side of the screen. It's about 1 inch wide and runs from the top to the bottom. It is in the LCD--i've tried restarting, opening different applications--but it is always there. I need some advice on how to take care of this, as it is very annoying. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
April 10, 2007 2:46:54 PM

Quote:
It is in the LCD...

Hey,

what exactly do you mean by "in the LCD" anyways? Do you have this green column when booting (thus during BIOS load, post-BIOS - pre-Windows)?

When I turn on my LCD monitor and the PC is not on, I get sort of a Monitor-firmware screen. If your monitor has a similar screen, is the green colum there as well? Are you sure it's green and not, say, sort of a bright black?

Last but not least, I don't suppose you (or your friends or neighbor, etc) has an old monitor laying around that you could borrow to do some A/B testing? chances are that a graphics card will freak long before your monitor does...
April 10, 2007 3:03:52 PM

Yes, weirdly enough, it's there from start up (bios and all). It's a laptop. But when i hook it up to my projector, nothing is there. And it defintely is GREEN. Not bright black. You can see it mask everything on the screen and everything sort of smears inside of it.
Really weird. Thanks!
April 10, 2007 3:13:21 PM

Well,

sorry to hear that 'cause I'm clueless (too). Considering it happens during BIOS load, I've got to agree with you that it sounds like a problem with the monitor's associated electronics and/or firmware.

Seeing as Compaq is long gone, I will assume the warranty is also history, but in any case, maybe HP's support desk might still be willing to support your question(s). I will be surprised (but happy) if anyone on this forum has already experienced such a problem and thus you should try to see if HP will offer any suggestions (such as firmware update, etc).

In any event, best of luck!
!