Windows cannot connect to the Disk Defragmenter engine

ziggy

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2001

When trying to defrag from DFRG.MSC and clicking on ANALYZE and/or DEFRAG,
nothing happens. I have no problems with the hard drive which has 85% free
space. When running "defrag.exe c: -a" from the command line, I get the
response "Windows cannot connect to the Disk Defragmenter engine". Anybody
here familiar with this problem or had a similar eXPerience who might be able
to help?
Thanks, ziggy

Delete dfrgfat or dfrgntfs. If your computer is setup correctly it will replace these files with whole files.

"ziggy" <ziggy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4C1BE880-8C85-440C-B108-628F82DD1AFC@microsoft.com...
> When trying to defrag from DFRG.MSC and clicking on ANALYZE and/or DEFRAG,
> nothing happens. I have no problems with the hard drive which has 85% free
> space. When running "defrag.exe c: -a" from the command line, I get the
> response "Windows cannot connect to the Disk Defragmenter engine". Anybody
> here familiar with this problem or had a similar eXPerience who might be able
> to help?
> Thanks, ziggy

ziggy

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2001

"David Candy" wrote:

> Delete dfrgfat or dfrgntfs. If your computer is setup correctly it will replace these files with whole files.
>
> --
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Thanks David, but that didn't help. The files got replaced ok but the problem remains as before.
> "ziggy" <ziggy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4C1BE880-8C85-440C-B108-628F82DD1AFC@microsoft.com...
> > When trying to defrag from DFRG.MSC and clicking on ANALYZE and/or DEFRAG,
> > nothing happens. I have no problems with the hard drive which has 85% free
> > space. When running "defrag.exe c: -a" from the command line, I get the
> > response "Windows cannot connect to the Disk Defragmenter engine". Anybody
> > here familiar with this problem or had a similar eXPerience who might be able
> > to help?
> > Thanks, ziggy

ziggy

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2001

Problem solved (duh)! Turns out that the service "DCOM Server Process
Launcher" has to be running for defrag to work. Ran into this answer on a
google search. Would be nice to have a message indicating this, rather than
just ignore the user. Thanks for the help.
ziggy

"David Candy" wrote:

> Delete dfrgfat or dfrgntfs. If your computer is setup correctly it will replace these files with whole files.

> "ziggy" <ziggy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4C1BE880-8C85-440C-B108-628F82DD1AFC@microsoft.com...
> > When trying to defrag from DFRG.MSC and clicking on ANALYZE and/or DEFRAG,
> > nothing happens. I have no problems with the hard drive which has 85% free
> > space. When running "defrag.exe c: -a" from the command line, I get the
> > response "Windows cannot connect to the Disk Defragmenter engine". Anybody
> > here familiar with this problem or had a similar eXPerience who might be able
> > to help?
> > Thanks, ziggy

Windows XP should - windows XP could???

WindowsXP can not have a message to counteract "everything" that a user does
to hurt his machine. Who turned off the dcom service process launcher to try
to save resources?

--
Regards,

Richard Urban