SATA installation

nerfy007

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2004
Good morning all
I got a 200gb SATA Seagate Barracuda hdd and my computer won't read it. i can see it when i hook up my old IDE drive and go into the device manager, and when i run the RAID tool that comes with my mobo. i can't find it in my bios, though, and when i try to install windows on it, it wants me to insert a manufactuer's driver disk, which i've tried to create, once again with ASUS' own diskmaking app.
So i guess what i really want to know is, what does it generally take to get a SATA hdd up and running?

thanks,

Nerfy007

Asus A8V Deluxe
AMD 64 3500+ Newcastle
512x2 OCZ pc3200
iceQ 9800 pro 128
SB Audigy2

Kieran_Fletcher

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2002
I had a similar problem installing XP on a SATA drive this Saturday. I don’t think BIOS ever detected the drive my A7V600 has an option to boot from the RAID controller and that option worked after I got XP installed.
Now getting XP setup to talk to the RAID controller, that took some work. I had start-up with a boot disk, and dig through the MB driver CD to find the RAID drivers. Then I had to copy the entire directory structure onto the disk. It worked then, just remember to make directories on your driver disk as need to copy the exact structure off the CD. I.E. If you gave *.oem in the root directory then viaraid.sys in SATA\WINXP create a SATA\WINXP directory and put viaraid.sys in it.

nerfy007

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2004
I've tried that with a few differant drivers, but i think my A: might be hooched. i'll try a differant one and try again.