Format hard drive

My son has a Dell desktop 2.66 ghz. It has XP home on it. I have
reinstalled XP twice but it does not come up to reformat the hard drive. At
the partition stage it says nothing about formatting. I cannot delete the
main partition. How can I format the harddrive? I am using the Dell version
of XP that came with the computer. Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about format hard drive

    In news:4DD13C67-1405-4EC2-AEFA-A038ED0D8FB2@microsoft.com,
    Charles <Charles@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > My son has a Dell desktop 2.66 ghz. It has XP home on it. I
    > have
    > reinstalled XP twice but it does not come up to reformat the
    > hard
    > drive. At the partition stage it says nothing about
    > formatting. I
    > cannot delete the main partition. How can I format the
    > harddrive? I
    > am using the Dell version of XP that came with the computer.
    > Thanks

    Assuming that yours is an installation CD, not a Restore CD, just
    boot from the Windows XP CD (change the BIOS boot order if
    necessary to accomplish this) and follow the prompts for a clean
    installation (delete the existing partition by pressing "D" when
    prompted, then create a new one).
    You can find detailed instructions here:

    or here http://windowsxp.mvps.org/XPClean.htm

    or here http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    It is the install cd. It will not allow me to delete the large partition.
    It looks like there are 2 xp's on the system now.

    Charles wrote:
    > My son has a Dell desktop 2.66 ghz. It has XP home on it. I have
    > reinstalled XP twice but it does not come up to reformat the hard
    > drive. At the partition stage it says nothing about formatting. I
    > cannot delete the main partition. How can I format the harddrive? I
    > am using the Dell version of XP that came with the computer. Thanks

    Do this..
    Boot with the Windows XP CD.. Follow through the instructions until it asks
    you to choose the partition to install onto.
    Now, delete all partitions. Create twice as many partitions as were there
    before. After you have done this and it starts copying to one of those
    partitions (by your continuing..) Reboot to CD again.. Go through the same
    steps and choose to delete all partitions again- but this time setup the
    partitions in the manner you really want and continue through the install.

    Now - it is possible Dell has changed things and their CD (Windows XP) will
    not allow you to erase their diagnostic partition - but I have not seen
    this.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    It will not let me delete all the partitions.

    "Shenan Stanley" wrote:

    > Charles wrote:
    > > My son has a Dell desktop 2.66 ghz. It has XP home on it. I have
    > > reinstalled XP twice but it does not come up to reformat the hard
    > > drive. At the partition stage it says nothing about formatting. I
    > > cannot delete the main partition. How can I format the harddrive? I
    > > am using the Dell version of XP that came with the computer. Thanks
    >
    > Do this..
    > Boot with the Windows XP CD.. Follow through the instructions until it asks
    > you to choose the partition to install onto.
    > Now, delete all partitions. Create twice as many partitions as were there
    > before. After you have done this and it starts copying to one of those
    > partitions (by your continuing..) Reboot to CD again.. Go through the same
    > steps and choose to delete all partitions again- but this time setup the
    > partitions in the manner you really want and continue through the install.
    >
    > Now - it is possible Dell has changed things and their CD (Windows XP) will
    > not allow you to erase their diagnostic partition - but I have not seen
    > this.
    >
    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP