Format hard drive

July 9, 2005 4:45:04 PM

My son has a Dell desktop 2.66 ghz. It has XP home on it. I have
reinstalled XP twice but it does not come up to reformat the hard drive. At
the partition stage it says nothing about formatting. I cannot delete the
main partition. How can I format the harddrive? I am using the Dell version
of XP that came with the computer. Thanks

More about : format hard drive

Anonymous
July 9, 2005 6:13:49 PM

In news:4DD13C67-1405-4EC2-AEFA-A038ED0D8FB2@microsoft.com,
Charles <Charles@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> My son has a Dell desktop 2.66 ghz. It has XP home on it. I
> have
> reinstalled XP twice but it does not come up to reformat the
> hard
> drive. At the partition stage it says nothing about
> formatting. I
> cannot delete the main partition. How can I format the
> harddrive? I
> am using the Dell version of XP that came with the computer.
> Thanks

Assuming that yours is an installation CD, not a Restore CD, just
boot from the Windows XP CD (change the BIOS boot order if
necessary to accomplish this) and follow the prompts for a clean
installation (delete the existing partition by pressing "D" when
prompted, then create a new one).
You can find detailed instructions here:

or here http://windowsxp.mvps.org/XPClean.htm

or here http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm

Please reply to the newsgroup
July 9, 2005 6:23:02 PM

It is the install cd. It will not allow me to delete the large partition.
It looks like there are 2 xp's on the system now.

"Ken Blake" wrote:

> In news:4DD13C67-1405-4EC2-AEFA-A038ED0D8FB2@microsoft.com,
> Charles <Charles@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>
> > My son has a Dell desktop 2.66 ghz. It has XP home on it. I
> > have
> > reinstalled XP twice but it does not come up to reformat the
> > hard
> > drive. At the partition stage it says nothing about
> > formatting. I
> > cannot delete the main partition. How can I format the
> > harddrive? I
> > am using the Dell version of XP that came with the computer.
> > Thanks
>

> Assuming that yours is an installation CD, not a Restore CD, just
> boot from the Windows XP CD (change the BIOS boot order if
> necessary to accomplish this) and follow the prompts for a clean
> installation (delete the existing partition by pressing "D" when
> prompted, then create a new one).
> You can find detailed instructions here:
> http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
>
> or here http://windowsxp.mvps.org/XPClean.htm
>
> or here http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm

> Please reply to the newsgroup

July 9, 2005 6:56:35 PM

Charles wrote:
> My son has a Dell desktop 2.66 ghz. It has XP home on it. I have
> reinstalled XP twice but it does not come up to reformat the hard
> drive. At the partition stage it says nothing about formatting. I
> cannot delete the main partition. How can I format the harddrive? I
> am using the Dell version of XP that came with the computer. Thanks

Do this..
Boot with the Windows XP CD.. Follow through the instructions until it asks
you to choose the partition to install onto.
Now, delete all partitions. Create twice as many partitions as were there
before. After you have done this and it starts copying to one of those
partitions (by your continuing..) Reboot to CD again.. Go through the same
steps and choose to delete all partitions again- but this time setup the
partitions in the manner you really want and continue through the install.

Now - it is possible Dell has changed things and their CD (Windows XP) will
not allow you to erase their diagnostic partition - but I have not seen
this.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

It will not let me delete all the partitions.