Microsoft Update

I note that my Windows Update window now has an area with a new "Micrososft
Update" and is sort of tryng to get me to get it, and upon opening the
window it says that it updates also Office, etc., it says "Try Microsoft
Update today" (but I never went further)
Is this a free software, or one that I will eventually have to pay after a
trial period?
Please advose.

Its free, and in addition to supporting Windows, it will also support Office 2003 and some other MS products. Handy to keep up on all the critical updates for several applications/platforms.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Octavio" <octaven@msn.com> wrote in message news:uabImFMhFHA.2644@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>I note that my Windows Update window now has an area with a new "Micrososft
> Update" and is sort of tryng to get me to get it, and upon opening the
> window it says that it updates also Office, etc., it says "Try Microsoft
> Update today" (but I never went further)
> Is this a free software, or one that I will eventually have to pay after a
> trial period?
> Please advose.

Thanks, I installed it after reading your comment below.
There is now under an "i" a note saying: "Window XP users - new security
updates are now available for SP1 and S2 only"
Is this one automatic and I don't have to do anything abo9ut it, or do I
have to mmanually install it by clicking it, etc? (The contents of what I
clicked seems complicated, do I installa it manually, or it is installed
with the automatic updates?)

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
Display\Security
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Octavio" <octaven@msn.com> wrote in message
>I note that my Windows Update window now has an area with a new "Micrososft
> Update" and is sort of tryng to get me to get it, and upon opening the
> window it says that it updates also Office, etc., it says "Try Microsoft
> Update today" (but I never went further)
> Is this a free software, or one that I will eventually have to pay after a
> trial period?
> Please advose.

You don't have to do anything. It's just an information notation that if
you don't have SP1 or SP2, automatic update won't work.

Tom
| Thanks, I installed it after reading your comment below.
| There is now under an "i" a note saying: "Window XP users - new security
| updates are now available for SP1 and S2 only"
| Is this one automatic and I don't have to do anything abo9ut it, or do I
| have to mmanually install it by clicking it, etc? (The contents of what I
| clicked seems complicated, do I installa it manually, or it is installed
| with the automatic updates?)
|

| "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
| Its free, and in addition to supporting Windows, it will also support
Office
| 2003 and some other MS products. Handy to keep up on all the critical
| updates for several applications/platforms.
|
| --
| Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
| Display\Security
| Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
| http://www.dougknox.com
| --------------------------------
| Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
| http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
| --------------------------------
| Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
| Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
|
| "Octavio" <octaven@msn.com> wrote in message
| >I note that my Windows Update window now has an area with a new
"Micrososft
| > Update" and is sort of tryng to get me to get it, and upon opening the
| > window it says that it updates also Office, etc., it says "Try Microsoft
| > Update today" (but I never went further)
| > Is this a free software, or one that I will eventually have to pay after
| > trial period?
| > Please advose.

thanks