SATA Drive, HDD Led Always On

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I installed an SATA drive (my first) on my A7N8X-E Deluxe. The drive replaced the old PATA drive I had been using.

Everything went fine with the install, but now the HDD LED is constantly on. There doesn't seem to be any drive activity, but the light remains on all of the time.

I've scanned for viruses/spyware/etc - nothing.

Is this normal with an SATA drive?

I know the LED leads are hooked up to the MOBO correctly, because I didn't have this problem with my PATA drive.

Any thought or suggestions?

Thanks.

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than have to have a frontal lobotomy."

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah, I tried reversing the leads, the light just went dead, but I knew they were on correctly because the light worked fine with my IDE drive.

The light is always on, but gets a little brighter and kind of "pulses" when the drive is actually accessing data.

I'm wondering if this is "normal" with an SATA drive, or could something be wrong with the drive and/or controller?

It's no big deal if the light's always on, but I just want to make sure that it's not a problem with the drive or controller.

Has anyone ever experienced anything similar to this when switching to ATA? I can't find anything at ASUS's site about this.

Thanks.

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than have to have a frontal lobotomy."

Latest posts