Reinstalling Windows XP Home

Hi,

_ have a reboot disk and I am prompted for my 25 digit Product Key. How do I
find out what my Product Key is? Windows is currently installed on the
computer I am trying to Reinstall on and I do not have any of the boxes it
came in. It is a Dell PC
3 answers Last reply
More about reinstalling windows home

    Usually the CD key is on the envelope or case that the recovery disc came in. Other than that, look on the back of the case.

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    boatmeal wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > _ have a reboot disk and I am prompted for my 25 digit Product Key. How do I
    > find out what my Product Key is? Windows is currently installed on the
    > computer I am trying to Reinstall on and I do not have any of the boxes it
    > came in. It is a Dell PC

    The Windows 25-character Product Key (required to perform the
    installation) is stored on the CD packaging on a bright orange sticker
    that says "Do not lose this number." It is not on the installation CD
    in any way, shape, or form. If it was an OEM (factory installed)
    license, it's stored on a label that the PC manufacturer affixed to
    the exterior of the PC case, or on the bottom of a laptop.

    To recover a lost Product Key:

    If your system still runs, you should be able to use Belarc
    Advisor from http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html to find the
    Product Key. (If you have a factory-installed OEM license, and
    haven't since reinstalled the OS, the revealed Product Key is probably
    of the drive image used at the factory and not your specific Product
    Key; therefore, it probably cannot be -- and definitely should not
    be -- used for a re-installation.)

    If it was a retail license and you have proof of purchase:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;326246

    If it was an OEM license, you should contact the computer's
    manufacturer; although very few manufacturers/vendors keep records of
    the Product Keys they've sold, it's worth a try before you have to buy
    a new license.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Hi

    If you can still access Windows, download/install a copy of Belarc:

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups

    "boatmeal" <boatmeal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > _ have a reboot disk and I am prompted for my 25 digit Product Key. How do
    > find out what my Product Key is? Windows is currently installed on the
    > computer I am trying to Reinstall on and I do not have any of the boxes it
    > came in. It is a Dell PC

Microsoft Windows XP