Reinstalling Windows XP Home

Hi,

_ have a reboot disk and I am prompted for my 25 digit Product Key. How do I
find out what my Product Key is? Windows is currently installed on the
computer I am trying to Reinstall on and I do not have any of the boxes it
came in. It is a Dell PC

Usually the CD key is on the envelope or case that the recovery disc came in. Other than that, look on the back of the case.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

boatmeal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> _ have a reboot disk and I am prompted for my 25 digit Product Key. How do I
> find out what my Product Key is? Windows is currently installed on the
> computer I am trying to Reinstall on and I do not have any of the boxes it
> came in. It is a Dell PC

The Windows 25-character Product Key (required to perform the
installation) is stored on the CD packaging on a bright orange sticker
that says "Do not lose this number." It is not on the installation CD
in any way, shape, or form. If it was an OEM (factory installed)
license, it's stored on a label that the PC manufacturer affixed to
the exterior of the PC case, or on the bottom of a laptop.

To recover a lost Product Key:

If your system still runs, you should be able to use Belarc
Advisor from http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html to find the
Product Key. (If you have a factory-installed OEM license, and
haven't since reinstalled the OS, the revealed Product Key is probably
of the drive image used at the factory and not your specific Product
Key; therefore, it probably cannot be -- and definitely should not
be -- used for a re-installation.)

If it was a retail license and you have proof of purchase:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;326246

If it was an OEM license, you should contact the computer's
manufacturer; although very few manufacturers/vendors keep records of
the Product Keys they've sold, it's worth a try before you have to buy
a new license.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Hi

If you can still access Windows, download/install a copy of Belarc:

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups