General drive problem

Pelle

Distinguished
May 6, 2004
Hi

Both of my hard drives started to malfunction at the same time. I can read from them to a certain degree, win 2000 can be started in failsafe mode but reboots as soon as the desktop is loaded in normal mode. If I try to reformat any of the two drives I always get the same result: Everything seems fine until the progress bar reaches 100%, at which point I get an error message saying that the drive could not be formatted. This happens both in win 2000 which is installed at the computer and in win XP's installation program which I run from CD. The error message in win XP's installation program tells me to doublecheck my SCSI settings or get a new SCSI card, but these are ordinary IDE drives! My linux boot CD also fails to format the drives. The drives DO work perfectly if I insert them into another computer.

Since both drives are at the primary IDE controller, I thought the problem could lie in the IDE controller or the IDE cable, so placed one of the drives as slave behind the CD-ROM at the secondary controller, but the problem remained. So I can't think of any other possibility than an error somewhere on the mobo.

Does anyone recognize this problem and have a miracle cure, or do I have to buy a new mobo? Is it worthwile to get the mobo repaired instead of buying a new one? (This is a pentium IV 2400Mhz.)

_WW_

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
My first guess would be some bad RAM...If you have two sticks try taking turns pulling one of them out and see what happens.

....WW (5.0)