Sign in with
Your question

Quick question on adding RAM

Last response: in Memory
October 26, 2004 6:40:16 PM

I just have a real quick question regarding some RAM that I just purchased, 1 gb ddr400 (2X512 MB) to run in dual channel mode. Can I add this to my existing RAM, 512 MB ddr400 (2x256 MB) already running in dual channel? I have enough slots, I was just wondering if this was feasible in dual channel mode. It would be no big deal just to remove the existing RAM, but I would be very pleased if I did not have to.

Thanks guys, sorry for the newbie question,
Eric
October 26, 2004 8:23:20 PM

Sure you can do this. As long as the motherboard has 4 slots and all the memory has the same specs. You need to make sure you install the new ones in slots 1 and 3 then install the old ones in slots 2 and 4. After this the system will be running in dual channel module with all four modules.

Crucial Performance Lab

www.crucial.com
The Memory Experts(SM) at Crucial Technology is now on board to give you straight answers to your memory-related questions.
cpl@micron.com
Related resources
October 26, 2004 9:12:34 PM

Also keep in mind, you may see a preformance drop with all 4 slots filled...it is better to have a lesser amount of slots taken up. That way there are fewer memory buses for the cpu to access

----------------------------------------------------
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ (stock)//1GB Corsair 3200XL//ATI Radeon 9700Pro (360/335)//WD Raptor 74GB/Antec Neopower 480W//Lian Li PC-61 Custom
October 26, 2004 9:26:23 PM

Thanks for the quick replies!

I have an intel 865gbf motherboard with, as I said, 4 available slots.

Thank you again!
a b } Memory
October 27, 2004 12:17:03 AM

Anandtech tested several configurations with the i875P and showed the chipset performs BETTER with MORE BANKS of RAM!!!

All in dual channel:
Worst: 2 single sided modules (2 bnaks)
Better: 2 double sided modules, 4 single sided modules (4 banks)
Best: 4 double sided modules (8 banks)

So according to Anandtech the system will perform better with more modules installed.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
October 27, 2004 11:46:05 PM

Crashman is absolutely correct. I posted a topic about this earlier but there were no good responses.

The answer, though it is not explained too well, is found at (look at the last page):
ftp://download.intel.com/design/chipsets/applnots/25273...

To Sum it up:
Basically, for the i875P chipset the Memory Controller Hub configures the memory address lines differently for a given arrangement of DIMMS in the slots:

For two SS (single sided) DIMMS occupying a channel (2 slots/channel)
OR
For a single DS (double sided) DIMM occupying a channel,
A[19] is used for rank selection
A[20] used for regular row address bits on the memory bus.

For two DS DIMMS occupying a single channel, both A[19] and A[20] are used for rank selection.
This configuration offers faster performance.
!