Cradle for Palm Tungsten E

September 16, 2004 2:05:29 PM

Hello -

I recently bought a Palm Tungsten E PDA, and I'm fairly dismayed that a
HotSync cradle isn't available for it. I've found the device itself to
be excellent, so it's a major disappointment!

Does anyone know whether anyone, anywhere has produced a cradle for the
Tungsten E?

Failing that, I looked up Palm's specification for their universal
connector, and it'd be possible to produce a simple converter that could
be attached to the end of the Tungsten E, connected to its power and
mini USB ports, with a female universal connector port on the other end.
That'd allow existing USB cradles to be used without modification
(although, as far as I'm aware, there'd be no way to trigger a HotSync
interrupt, so existing cradles' HotSync activation buttons wouldn't do
anything). Has anyone produced a converter like this?

Cheers!

--
Matt Browne

More about : cradle palm tungsten

September 16, 2004 3:14:19 PM

"Matt Browne" <news@picton.net> wrote in message
> Hello -
>
> I recently bought a Palm Tungsten E PDA, and I'm fairly dismayed that a
> HotSync cradle isn't available for it. I've found the device itself to
> be excellent, so it's a major disappointment!
>
> Does anyone know whether anyone, anywhere has produced a cradle for the
> Tungsten E?
>
> Failing that, I looked up Palm's specification for their universal
> connector, and it'd be possible to produce a simple converter that could
> be attached to the end of the Tungsten E, connected to its power and
> mini USB ports, with a female universal connector port on the other end.
> That'd allow existing USB cradles to be used without modification
> (although, as far as I'm aware, there'd be no way to trigger a HotSync
> interrupt, so existing cradles' HotSync activation buttons wouldn't do
> anything). Has anyone produced a converter like this?
>
> Cheers!
>

> --
> Matt Browne

There is no cradle. Most T|E users have found that not having a cradle is an
advantage- you keep the unit plugged into wither the USB cable or power
cable. It charges on either one- and you have full use of it. Better than a
cradle.
Anonymous
September 16, 2004 8:26:28 PM

# Alan

> "Matt Browne" <news@picton.net> wrote in message

> > Does anyone know whether anyone, anywhere has produced a cradle for the
> > Tungsten E?

> There is no cradle. Most T|E users have found that not having a cradle is an
> advantage- you keep the unit plugged into wither the USB cable or power
> cable. It charges on either one- and you have full use of it. Better than a
> cradle.

It's a pain. When I get home I have to dig around in the pile of cables
from my PC looking for the hotsynch one. With my cradle I could stow the
cable and just slot the palm in the same place each day.

--
Toby
Related resources

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 16:26:28 +0100, Toby Newman wrote:

> It's a pain. When I get home I have to dig around in the pile of cables
> from my PC looking for the hotsynch one. With my cradle I could stow the
> cable and just slot the palm in the same place each day.

I only have one miniUSB cable end, which I use for my T|E, digital
camera and my Daughter's MP3 player. I prefer that over another USB
connected cradle, which takes up another USB outlet. Plus, I've saved
money by not having to buy another cradle for Work.

Cradle? Cradle? We don' need no steenkin' cradle !!
Anonymous
September 16, 2004 8:53:03 PM

In article <MPG.1bb3c0fef3198db7989a0e@localhost>, Toby Newman
<google@asktoby.com> wrote:

> # Alan
> >
> > "Matt Browne" <news@picton.net> wrote in message
>
> > > Does anyone know whether anyone, anywhere has produced a cradle for the
> > > Tungsten E?
>

> > There is no cradle. Most T|E users have found that not having a cradle is an
> > advantage- you keep the unit plugged into wither the USB cable or power
> > cable. It charges on either one- and you have full use of it. Better than a
> > cradle.
> >

> It's a pain. When I get home I have to dig around in the pile of cables
> from my PC looking for the hotsynch one. With my cradle I could stow the
> cable and just slot the palm in the same place each day.

Is it really that big a pain? There can't be that many cables with one end
unattached. Why not set the HotSync cable off from the others.
Anonymous
September 16, 2004 9:17:22 PM

"Guy Bannis" <guy@ether.net> wrote in message
> In article <MPG.1bb3c0fef3198db7989a0e@localhost>, Toby Newman
> <google@asktoby.com> wrote:
>
> > # Alan
> > >
> > > "Matt Browne" <news@picton.net> wrote in message

> > > There is no cradle. Most T|E users have found that not having a cradle
is an
> > > advantage- you keep the unit plugged into wither the USB cable or
power
> > > cable. It charges on either one- and you have full use of it. Better
than a
> > > cradle.
> > >

> > It's a pain. When I get home I have to dig around in the pile of cables
> > from my PC looking for the hotsynch one. With my cradle I could stow the
> > cable and just slot the palm in the same place each day.
>
> Is it really that big a pain? There can't be that many cables with one end
> unattached. Why not set the HotSync cable off from the others.

I stapled my cable to the underside of the desk, since I don't need it
anywhere else. Also, this cable plugs into my digital camera, so that's an
advantage, too.
September 17, 2004 2:35:03 AM

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 16:26:28 +0100, Toby Newman wrote:

> It's a pain. When I get home I have to dig around in the pile of cables
> from my PC looking for the hotsynch one. With my cradle I could stow the
> cable and just slot the palm in the same place each day.

People that have to deal with many cables (ok, usually
professionals) typically tag the ends of their cables with tape.
Sometimes it is color coded, sometimes it permits writing
identifying info. You could also find a cable dresser - the kind of
small plastic doodad you usually see inside computers that allows
one or more cables to be secured or easily removed. If you can't
find one in a local hardware store, a strip of duct tape will keep
the cable from slipping down and becoming lost or tangled with your
other cables.
Anonymous
September 17, 2004 5:03:01 AM

In message <guy-1609040953180001@192.168.1.103> guy@ether.net (Guy
Bannis) wrote:

>Is it really that big a pain? There can't be that many cables with one end
>unattached. Why not set the HotSync cable off from the others.

Can't be THAT many... I've only got two for my Axim, three for my MP3
player, two for my removeable USB drive, two for my removeable firewire
drive, one for my cellphone, and a partridge in a pair tree.

Two more for my Palm would not be welcome -- In fairness, I purchased a
cradle for my Axim to assist with this situation, and I usually keep the
firewire cables on the floor out of the way since I don't use it much.

--
A cheap shot is a terrible thing to waste.
Anonymous

In article <9Jq2d.1494191$y4.259549@news.easynews.com>,
bond-jamesbond@crazyhat.net wrote:

> In message <guy-1609040953180001@192.168.1.103> guy@ether.net (Guy
> Bannis) wrote:
>
> >Is it really that big a pain? There can't be that many cables with one end
> >unattached. Why not set the HotSync cable off from the others.
>
> Can't be THAT many... I've only got two for my Axim, three for my MP3
> player, two for my removeable USB drive, two for my removeable firewire
> drive, one for my cellphone, and a partridge in a pair tree.

That's interesting. And why do you have so many with one end unattached?
Anonymous
September 17, 2004 12:09:38 PM

# Guy Bannis
> In article <MPG.1bb3c0fef3198db7989a0e@localhost>, Toby Newman
> <google@asktoby.com> wrote:
> > It's a pain. When I get home I have to dig around in the pile of cables
> > from my PC looking for the hotsynch one. With my cradle I could stow the
> > cable and just slot the palm in the same place each day.
>
> Is it really that big a pain? There can't be that many cables with one end
> unattached. Why not set the HotSync cable off from the others.

I do set it separately from the others to help identify it (there's a
real big mass of cables coming out of my PC). That makes things even
messier because I have my "wire pile" and then a separate wire going
around the other way too.

My personal preference is for a cradle, I don't expect it to be
everyone's.

--
Toby
Anonymous

# BillB
> On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 16:26:28 +0100, Toby Newman wrote:
>
> > It's a pain. When I get home I have to dig around in the pile of cables
> > from my PC looking for the hotsynch one. With my cradle I could stow the
> > cable and just slot the palm in the same place each day.
>
> People that have to deal with many cables (ok, usually
> professionals) typically tag the ends of their cables with tape.
> Sometimes it is color coded, sometimes it permits writing
> identifying info. You could also find a cable dresser - the kind of
> small plastic doodad you usually see inside computers that allows
> one or more cables to be secured or easily removed. If you can't
> find one in a local hardware store, a strip of duct tape will keep
> the cable from slipping down and becoming lost or tangled with your
> other cables.

Hmmm, whenever I've spent an afternoon sorting my cables out and using
cable ties and running them along the edge of furniture etc it usually
garuantees that the following week I'm going to need to move things
around and undo it all - I've done this a few times and learnt my
lesson! Now I go for the easily modifyable but messy spaghetti junction
technique!

--
Toby
September 17, 2004 2:13:11 PM

"Guy Bannis" <guy@ether.net> wrote in message
> In article <MPG.1bb3c0fef3198db7989a0e@localhost>, Toby Newman
> <google@asktoby.com> wrote:
>
> > # Alan
> > >
> > > "Matt Browne" <news@picton.net> wrote in message

> > > There is no cradle. Most T|E users have found that not having a cradle
is an
> > > advantage- you keep the unit plugged into wither the USB cable or
power
> > > cable. It charges on either one- and you have full use of it. Better
than a
> > > cradle.
> > >

> > It's a pain. When I get home I have to dig around in the pile of cables
> > from my PC looking for the hotsynch one. With my cradle I could stow the
> > cable and just slot the palm in the same place each day.
>
> Is it really that big a pain? There can't be that many cables with one end
> unattached. Why not set the HotSync cable off from the others.

Or LABEL it for Pete's sake. Sheesh.
Anonymous
September 18, 2004 10:11:28 AM

In message <guy-1609042242190001@192.168.1.103> guy@ether.net (Guy
Bannis) wrote:

>> >Is it really that big a pain? There can't be that many cables with one end
>> >unattached. Why not set the HotSync cable off from the others.
>>
>> Can't be THAT many... I've only got two for my Axim, three for my MP3
>> player, two for my removeable USB drive, two for my removeable firewire
>> drive, one for my cellphone, and a partridge in a pair tree.
>
>That's interesting. And why do you have so many with one end unattached?

Well, I have stuff connected to the cables much of the time, but not
when I remove the device to take it with me.

--
Failure is not an option. It's bundled with your software.
Anonymous

In article <MPG.1bb3c0fef3198db7989a0e@localhost>,
Toby Newman <google@asktoby.com> wrote:

> # Alan
> >
> > "Matt Browne" <news@picton.net> wrote in message
>
> > > Does anyone know whether anyone, anywhere has produced a cradle for the
> > > Tungsten E?
>

> > There is no cradle. Most T|E users have found that not having a cradle is an
> > advantage- you keep the unit plugged into wither the USB cable or power
> > cable. It charges on either one- and you have full use of it. Better than a
> > cradle.
> >

> It's a pain. When I get home I have to dig around in the pile of cables
> from my PC looking for the hotsynch one. With my cradle I could stow the
> cable and just slot the palm in the same place each day.

Cradles are a pain. When my wife wants to travel with her m130 she has
to pack this large, heavy, clunky cradle just so she can keep it
charged. I know, she could buy a dedicated charger. But my T|E comes
that way out of the box. The other big bonus is that I can also charge
it "for free" off of my PC at work simply by connecting to a USB port.
I had an extra USB cable from my camera that works perfectly with the
T|E at work.

Cradles take up too much valuable desk space as well.

A $10 Samsung cell phone car charger works perfectly with the T|E in the
car. I have a USB hub (1 into 4) on my Mac at home. No shortage of USB
connections.

After having done it both ways (my old Palm was an m125 with cradle) I
am a firm believer that cradles are a *pain* and they got it right with
the T|E by eliminating them.

Regards,

-Doug.
Anonymous
September 18, 2004 7:42:42 PM

"Doug Hoffman" <dhoffman@journey.com> wrote in message
news:D hoffman-E4F804.11423418092004@journey.net.client.newsread.com...
> In article <MPG.1bb3c0fef3198db7989a0e@localhost>,
> Toby Newman <google@asktoby.com> wrote:
>
> > # Alan
> > >
> > > "Matt Browne" <news@picton.net> wrote in message

> > > There is no cradle. Most T|E users have found that not having a cradle
is an
> > > advantage- you keep the unit plugged into wither the USB cable or
power
> > > cable. It charges on either one- and you have full use of it. Better
than a
> > > cradle.
> > >

> > It's a pain. When I get home I have to dig around in the pile of cables
> > from my PC looking for the hotsynch one. With my cradle I could stow the
> > cable and just slot the palm in the same place each day.
>
> Cradles are a pain. When my wife wants to travel with her m130 she has
> to pack this large, heavy, clunky cradle just so she can keep it
> charged. I know, she could buy a dedicated charger. But my T|E comes
> that way out of the box. The other big bonus is that I can also charge
> it "for free" off of my PC at work simply by connecting to a USB port.
> I had an extra USB cable from my camera that works perfectly with the
> T|E at work.
>
> Cradles take up too much valuable desk space as well.
>
> A $10 Samsung cell phone car charger works perfectly with the T|E in the
> car. I have a USB hub (1 into 4) on my Mac at home. No shortage of USB
> connections.
>
> After having done it both ways (my old Palm was an m125 with cradle) I
> am a firm believer that cradles are a *pain* and they got it right with
> the T|E by eliminating them.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Doug.

After reading remarks like yours in this thread, it makes me realize that I
just wanted the spiffy hardware, and that I have it good with my T|E.

I hated the hard case that came with it, in that, the Palm rests on the
cables in the case. Other cases have cutaways, but I'm not able to spend
$30+ on that right now. So, a bit of cutting and filing, problem solved
without too much structural integrity compromise to the case.

In other words, there are "workarounds" to the "problems" of not having a
cradle.
Anonymous
September 19, 2004 3:22:33 AM

"Alan" <alan@erols.com> wrote:

>There is no cradle. Most T|E users have found that not having a cradle is an
>advantage- you keep the unit plugged into wither the USB cable or power
>cable. It charges on either one- and you have full use of it. Better than a
>cradle.

I was hoping for a cradle too, since I keep my M515 charging next to
the bed, ready to play games or read.
I suppose I could still do this with the cord attached, but since I
rest it on my chest when using it in bed, the straight cord plug would
get in the way. A right-angle plug would make all the difference for
me.

To reply, please remove one letter from each side of "@"
Spammers are VERMIN. Please kill them all.
!