Should I upgrade by Iiyama??

AndyP123

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2007
I have had a 19" Iiyama Vision Master Pro 450 CRT monitor for about 7 years now. It still works fine and I have always been really happy with it. About a year ago I bought a new PC and the GC had a DVI out so I purchased an adaptor to run with the Iiyama and that too works fine.

I typically use my PC for surfing and games and run my desktop at 1600x1200. The PC I bought was fairly high spec so all the games I have run thus far have also been at this resolution.

My question is, with 19" flatscreen monitors being so cheap now, should I get rid of the huge brick on my desk and 'upgrade'? Or would I be trading desk space for a downgrade in terms of image quality compared with my CRT (which, with its diamondtron appature grill tube, was superb in its day)?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

In my opinion CRTs are still superior to LCDs in terms of image quality and response times. The only real drawback is it's size.

LCDs are great, but there are many compromises you must make to decide which one is best for you. KevinAr18 has already listed the pros and cons of each so I will not regergitate any of the info.

Just be aware that there is no such thing as a perfect display. Best advice I can give is to come up with a list of things you want your monitor to do. Then based on that list see if there is an LCD monitor within your price range that can live up to that list.

Traveller

Distinguished
May 6, 2004
I have had a 19" Iiyama Vision Master Pro 450... should I ... 'upgrade'?

I just traded in my 19" Vision Master Pro 454 (HM903DT) for a 24" LCD. As perfect as the Diamondtron was in terms of geometry, I couldn't get enough brightness out of it w/o artifically boosting gamma via the Graphic card drivers. Odd, since it claimed a brightness of 450 nits but anyways, I don't regret the decision.

I'm a gamer and also use my workstation for movies so of course response time was a major concern, but with a modern VA or even a few select IPS panels, neither movies nor gaming [FPS - but in SP mode] presented a problem. But don't bother with a 19" LCD at this point: treat yourself to at least a 20-21" 1600x1200 if you're into graphics / imaging or a 20"+ 1680x1050 widescreen if you're into gaming and movie playback.

IMHO, 24" is the holy grail of workstation LCD monitors - 1920x1200 res and a whole lot of real estate w/o going overboard and having a TV-sized monitor sitting on your desk... :)

Just one more thing: ironically, I am now fighting with an overly-bright monitor when just a month ago, I was complaining about the lack of brightness of my CRT... 8O

P.S. I wouldn't necessairly go with an Iiyama LCD, though. I don't really see them being as good in the LCD field as they were in the CRT business - at least do some [more] research before you buy...!