Can't make new folder in WinXP

Since I started to use a pendrive I can't create a new folder in WinXP,
rename certain folders or move large (>a few MB) files. I've tried a CHKDSK
but it doesn't seem to help. When I try to do any of these the whole computer
hangs and only responds to Ctrl-Alt-Del.
I've tried System Restore but none of its restore points work.
WinXP SP2 embedded, Mozilla Firefox, Office2000, Norton Internet Security,
Seitek Pendrive, plenty of disk space, Acronis Trueimage.

Can I rescue this system or is it Format time?
g4kzo

Did you create an image before you messed with the hardware. Do you have
"any" image from before you added the pen drive?

Use it.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

Quote from: George Ankner

"Andrew Keir" <Andrew Keir@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Since I started to use a pendrive I can't create a new folder in WinXP,
> rename certain folders or move large (>a few MB) files. I've tried a
> CHKDSK
> but it doesn't seem to help. When I try to do any of these the whole
> computer
> hangs and only responds to Ctrl-Alt-Del.
> I've tried System Restore but none of its restore points work.
> WinXP SP2 embedded, Mozilla Firefox, Office2000, Norton Internet Security,
> Seitek Pendrive, plenty of disk space, Acronis Trueimage.
>
> Can I rescue this system or is it Format time?
> g4kzo

I doubt it was the pendrive as it works fine in my other WinXP machine. I'm
trying to avoid going right back ( I only image every few months) as it would
mean reinstalling rather a lot of programs. Is it me, or is WinXP just as
flaky as previous escapes - er, releases - but in different ways? The other
machine won't respond to "Help & Support" - just, nothing happens when I
click on it. Never has, even after a re-install. Everyone says that's
impossible, too.