I once wrote a Windows program that scans a directory for Infocom game
files, then displays a menu from which you can select different
versions of the games it finds. The program contains a large database
of patches that allows it to take any recognized version of an Infocom
game, such as Zork I or Enchanter, and create other known versions from
it.

For example, if you had one version of each of those games, you would
be able to play these versions directly from the menu:

Game / Date / Version

Enchanter 830810 10
Enchanter 831107 15
Enchanter 831118 16
Enchanter 851118 24
Enchanter 860820 29

Zork I AS000C 2
Zork I ______ 5
Zork I UG3AU5 15
Zork I ______ 20
Zork I 820428 23
Zork I 820515 25
Zork I 820803 26
Zork I 821013 28
Zork I 830330 30
Zork I 830929 75
Zork I 840509 76
Zork I 840726 88
Zork I, Solid Gold 871125 52
Zork I, German 880113 3

Blorb files (graphics and sound resources), for those games that
require them, are included, and are automatically managed by the
program. You only have to supply a copy of Windows Frotz 2002,
extracted into the "Frotz" subdirectory, and your own collection of
Infocom game files.

I was wondering if there is any interest in such a program. I made it
for my own convenience, and due to its size, which is around 20 MB, I
have never tried to make it available for download. The patches in its
database are stored in an encrypted form, and only games that the
program recognizes can be played; similar patches are available from
the IF Archive, but in a much more cumbersome form.

"Donnie Russell" <drussell@wotmania.com> wrote:

> I was wondering if there is any interest in such a program.

Yes, there is.

-- Gunther