I created another user on my XP home edition machine to isolate "business"
from pleasure.

Logged on as my alter ego, I needed to open a Visio file. It asked for the
master disk, and I proceeded to install (even though Viso is already
installed for me to use as the prime user). I got a message that the
Administrator had blocked this kind of activity....

How did I block it? And more important, how do I unblock it?

Thanks for your help.

"Bob Greene" <rgreene@pivot.net> wrote in message
> I created another user on my XP home edition machine to isolate "business"
> from pleasure.
>
> Logged on as my alter ego, I needed to open a Visio file. It asked for the
> master disk, and I proceeded to install (even though Viso is already
> installed for me to use as the prime user). I got a message that the
> Administrator had blocked this kind of activity....
>
> How did I block it? And more important, how do I unblock it?

It's possible that the alter ego user has is "Limited user" account. Try
logging in as the prime user account and then change the other account from
Limited to Admin (To do this see Control Panel -> User Accounts -> Change an
Account). Then log out and back in as the new user. Then try installing
Visio.

In an ideal world the account you should put it back to Limited User after
doing the install, however some applications won't work unless the account
has Admin status. Try it and see what works.

TRENDING THREADS