Sign in with
Your question

UpdateToold.exe

Last response: in Windows 7
September 10, 2012 1:50:53 PM

So this is a relatively new thing,

My computer seems fine, and according to Malwarebytes and MSE I'm virus free, but for some reason, every time the computer boots I get an error that states "Windows cannot find 'UpdateTool.exr'. Make Sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again." and i have no idea what to do next.

I've looked on the Internet for similar things, but still nothing. I also went into msconfig to see if something there is out of place, but nothing seemed out of order.

Thanks again,
Eli

More about : updatetoold exe

September 10, 2012 2:01:28 PM

Supermuncher85 said:
Somewhere somehow, something got messed up on the autoloading files.
Go to start -> type in 'msconfig' hit enter -> click on startup tab -> deselect update.exe -> press ok and restart

If it's not there other option is start -> all programs -> startup

p.s. probably some leftover from adobe

I dont have update.exe in the startup tab at all :( 
m
l
September 10, 2012 2:01:30 PM

The Title of this tread is wrong so Im trying to delete it, i re-posted the tread so please go to the one above it

Thank you!
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 10, 2012 2:01:51 PM

Somewhere somehow, something got messed up on the autoloading files.
Go to start -> type in 'msconfig' hit enter -> click on startup tab -> deselect update.exe -> press ok and restart

If it's not there other option is start -> all programs -> startup

p.s. probably some leftover from adobe
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 10, 2012 2:06:40 PM

Have you had a look in regedit? Check under Hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Need I say be careful when doing anything in here? :p 
m
l
September 10, 2012 2:11:13 PM

Supermuncher85 said:
Have you had a look in regedit? Check under Hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Need I say be careful when doing anything in here? :p 

I still cant find anything regarding Update.
m
l
September 10, 2012 2:11:35 PM

How could something like this just disappear ?!
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 10, 2012 2:30:36 PM

Probably was a program that you deleted and this file stayed behind. Try a search in regedit for the suspect.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 10, 2012 2:44:20 PM

More placed to check....

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

C:\Users\(User-Name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

good summary here as well http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1401-startup-progr... if none of these find it then I am out of ideas...windows roll back time?
m
l
September 10, 2012 6:07:47 PM

Okay so, I cant find UpdateTool.exe on my computer no matter how hard I looked. I dont understand what could delete it so completely like this.

regardless, Is there anyway for me to reinstall it?
m
l
September 10, 2012 6:08:16 PM

BTW, Both of your links come up as dead for me...

This is driving me crazy! please help!
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 10, 2012 8:51:40 PM

I'm out of ideas now, there are no other places for autorun programs to go to. I'd try disabling ALL auto startups in msconfig. If the error message is STILL there after then somethings wrong.

P.s. area51 why did you remove your link? I thought it was useful.
m
l
!