Logitech LX Mouse/Keyboard Review

pdalton

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2003
Stephane Kauffmann's "Desktop Logitech LX: Comfort and Style" review was both interesting and informative. I have been using Logitech's Navigator Duo Mouse/Keyboard combo on both my home and office computers for some time and I have generally been satisfied with them - this article suggests that Logitech's LX line probably addresses the 2 issues I have had with the combo I now use: battery life and response. So I may investigate switching to an LX.

I would like to note that Mr. Kauffmann's review touched upon an issue that has bothered me for some time: The problems caused by distinct "handedness" of mice. Years ago, Logitech (and others) made left-handed mice (in addition to right-handed and ambidextrous), but - apparently - the market was not large enough to justify a distinct left-handed version. So, now, Logitech has only right-handed mice and ambidextrous mice. Unfortunately, the "best" features invariably are offered in a "right-handed" model marketed as Logitech's "flagship" product; much later, some (though not all) become integrated into the ambidextrous product.

Unfortunately, and though it seems that it would be relatively easy, Logitech does not do much to identify product features in a way that assists left-handed users decide which mouse product to choose.

It would have been helpful to those of us "afflicted" with left-handedness had Mr. Kauffmann added a few more comments about differences between the mice in this regard. In fact, including just a table listing the universe of mouse/keyboard features and +/- indicators for which is found in each mouse/keyboard combo would have been a lot of help. When these products are offered as a keyboard/mouse combo, choosing a combo with an "ambi" mouse almost always means getting a keyboard with different (generally fewer) features, as well. If the "ambi" mouse choice means also getting a keyboard with a less desirable features set, it may well be better for a lefty to buy the mouse and keyboard as separates.

Believe it or not, there area lot of right-handed people who occasionally use a mouse in the left hand, if only to "rest" the right hand/wrist. So it is not only the truly left-handed people would would benefit from a more robust discussion of left/right deistinctions of mice. Even if you're right handed -- try operating one of Logitech's right-handed mice with the left hand for a while, and you'll see what I mean.

- Paul

BDruhl

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2004
I agree with Paul when he speaks out about left-handers. I'm left-handed, a southpaw if you will, and have become more and more frustrated with the lack of left-handed products. In the past, as Paul put it, their excuse was lack of market. Well that's no longer true now that PC's have become a common household item. There are millions of left-handed users out there...the market is clearly there but nothing has changed. I don't mean to make this the vocal point but there's no better place to start other than Tom's. I've been a diehard fan since THG first began back in what '94, '95 when it was only Tom himself. THG has a major impact on manufacturers. I feel like I'm in Star Wars when I say "We need you THG, you're our only hope!" Speak out on this for us THG. All other left-handers need to speak out in this thread. I'm tired of not being able to purchase the products I really want because they're not designed for my left hand and I know there's millions of others out there that would agree.

-Brad

I have 3 LX keyboard / Mouse sets and now one bluetooth set. One problem with them (LX series) is the file lhidusb.sys It causes BSOD's in a large assortment of programs and games. While the hardware ain't bad, the Logitech software should be uninstalled. The Bluetooth series has been more problematic. It keeps losing its "keys" or whatever.

The bluetooth connection is encrypted. After it's all set up, it loses it's encryption key repeatedly. Try logging into windows and typing your password when typoing a "c" gets you a "q". My set is sitting on a shelf right now as my 3 calls to TS so far I have given up after 20 minute son hold.

jack

jheine

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2002
That's a major downside if the LX series is causing BSOD's. Have you tried updated drivers/sofware for it? Also, since I'm considering the move to wireless and for special turnkey systems, is it random programs that it has issues with, or specific ones that you can count on the problems cropping up?

For me, the biggest drawbacks that have kept me from switching to wireless is the packaging and compatability. As for packaging, similar to the issues with left-handed users, I never seem to see a keyboard/mouse combo that replaces the mouse with a trackball. I'm an avid fan of the Logitech Marble Mouse, and have found it indispensible in many situations where space is at a premium. While I don't have an issue trying other finger-style trackballs, it would be nice to see a combo set that takes people like myself into consideration.

That aside, compatability becomes the larger issue. Since there is no real cordless keyboard/trackball combos on the market that I know of, I would be then looking at purchasing separate devices. The first question would obvious be whether both devices can use the same base unit. It seems a waste if you have to use multiple receivers just so you can benefit from using both a cordless keyboard and a cordless trackball. The second compatability question that has to do with RF interference. For most, this is not an issue, as stated in the article, because there is usually nothing to interfere with the signal in the home setting. Even in the office, it seems the occasional missteps from multiple devices isn't a big deal. On the other hand, I'm looking at implementation for studio, stage, and DJ setups. In this type of environment, there are other devices that could potentially introduce interference in the RF spectrum, and I worry that the keyboard and mouse would become unusable or that a random signal would be misinterpreted as a mouse movement or keystroke. IR is an option, but the line-of-site requirement can be a drawback as well. Bluetooth is also an option, but I'd like to wait until it matures a bit more before I really consider it.

If anyone has some insite on any of this, I'd love to hear it.

Jarrett