Start up Error, UpdateTool?!

ilikegirls

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
So this is a relatively new thing,

My computer seems fine, and according to Malwarebytes and MSE I'm virus free, but for some reason, every time the computer boots I get an error that states "Windows cannot find 'UpdateTool.exe'. Make Sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again." and i have no idea what to do next.

I've looked on the Internet for similar things, but still nothing. I also went into msconfig to see if something there is out of place, but nothing seemed out of order.

Thanks again,
Eli

Solution
hi.
I have the solutions: just add in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin" folder a document text renomineted "UpdateTool.exe". VERY IMPORTANT ".EXE"!
IT WORKS!!! (sorry for english) good luck! :)

Jagella

Honorable
Dec 30, 2012

I get the same error message, and on at least one occasion I could not connect to the Internet after getting this message. After rebooting, the error message does not appear, and I can connect to the Internet.

Please let me know if you find a solution.

amendoza30

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013

Hi-are you talking about Origin? the gaming account? I recently installed that b/c I wanted to play Alice and I started getting the updatetool error msgs after that.

Kat89

Reputable
Jul 12, 2014

uninstall origin and go to http://www.oldversion.com/windows/origin/ to download the old version

RedDragonflyxx

Honorable
Oct 20, 2013
I know this is old but no one else had the temp solution I had to find and I'd like to put it out there. Since I couldn't reinstall origin at the time I tried renaming EAProxyInstaller.ext to UpdateTool.exe (I assume it doesn't matter what program just so long as it doesn't create an error) it worked for me until I reinstalled it a week later when I got an internet connection.

stevensedu

Reputable
Jun 10, 2014

Did uninstalling it make you lose all of your games?

Edoardo Villa

Reputable
Aug 3, 2014
hi.
I have the solutions: just add in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin" folder a document text renomineted "UpdateTool.exe". VERY IMPORTANT ".EXE"!
IT WORKS!!! (sorry for english) good luck! :)

Solution

Justn

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014

TYSM :) :D It worked like a Charm :)

Marquis Ross

Reputable
Jan 8, 2015

Worked like a charm...Thanks