HP Pavilion DV8000 LCD Monitor Dimmed Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuddyGoodness

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2005
I have a HP Dv8000 laptop and today I turn it on and the monitor is almost completly blacked out. When I have sunshine on it I can barely see the screen, I tried to turn up the brightness and that didn't do anything and neither has anything else. I plugged the svideo cord into my tv to be able to post this message and though the resolution sucks for reading text it looks fine so I think that rules out the video card, or does it. Does anyone know what the problem could be? I am thinking it is the lcd backlight but that is an uneducated assumption, if anyone can help me please do. Thank you.

tomwaddle

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
if you already tried brightening the screen by hitting FN F3 or F4 and it's been doing this out of the box, then you need to take it back. It's probably broke or a cable is loose.

tomwaddle

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
if you have no extended warranty on it, then you're in trouble.
If you know someone good at taking laptops apart, ask him/her to see if a cable came loose. I didn't realize you had it for that long.
If you can't find anyone to fix it, I'm afraid you'll have to take it in to get serviced. And, whether it's the panel or the motherboard that needs to be replaced, it'll probably be in the $300-$500 range.

BuddyGoodness

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2005
I would think it was the lcd backlight considering the computer is fine except that the lcd monitor doesn't light up. I don't see how that would be 300-500$ unless they take five hours to do it, the bulbs are only like 20$.

tomwaddle

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
In my experience, when HP laptops have a dim panel, whether it be the backlight or something else, they send out a brand new panel. They don't send just the backlight (for warrantied laptops. Is warrantied a word?)
I agree the backlight probably doesn't cost that much but I have never seen them send out just a backlight. If they do, more power to ya. Now you'll just need someone to take about the panel. Have fun <insert sarcasm>

sos85

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
Try to clean your HP DV8000 LCD screen, then adjust LCD's display quality by press the buttons on the bottom of your LCD Screen.
Or it may be caused by high atmosphere humidity, change the your laptop position .

kcallis

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2007
The issue that I am having is that my LCD comes dim, not from lack of brightness, but the resolution seems to break up, then the screen will black out, or become distorted and the only solution is to tap the side. Is my only solution to buy a new LCD or is there some other component that could causing problems.

Marcio

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
It IS the backlight... you just have to replace it. Cheap but have to be very carefull to replace it, it's very thin and breaks easy just by holding it wrong.
You should take to someone who works with this daily.

Marcio

pnietzer

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
I have the same problem (I think) on my HP dv8000. When I start Windows XP normally, I get no errors but just a black screen. I can start Windows in Safe mode and Safe mode w/ networking and the display works just fine. I can access the internet as well in Safe mode w/networking. Only when I start up normally, do I have the problem.

G

i am having some display related problem on my dv5000. i see that the display flickers a lot and when i try to hold the display panel at some postion ( while folding in or folding out ), the display stays good. or else it keeps on flickering.i dont have any problems with brightness. is my problem related to some broken or loose cable . if yes can i replace it. has anyone done this earlier.

sabatorious

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009

Was your problem ever solved? I am having the same problem, only now, my monitor stays dimmed and lower resolution unless I pull the top corner of the screen toward me and hold it that way. It got worse and worse until this point.
The motherboard is not the problem with mine, as the picture is fine with a VGA cable hooked to my HDTV.

Anyone have any answers? Thanks.

kristydiane

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
I replaced the LCD inverter (7 bucks plus shipping) and the LCD cable (8 bucks, free shipping.)

This works in most cases. It's fairly easy and there are videos on youtube that show how to replace the inverter. If you're not comfortable doing it yourself, a repair shop can do it and it shouldn't be a fortune. It only took me fifteen minutes to take the screws out, swap out the parts, and put it back together again.

pcsolved

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
I have two DV 8000's this seems to be a common fault, the screen cable seems to get affected by heat from the fan over time and the circuit breaks that feeds the power to the inverter. On both here it is a cable running from motherboard to the inverter. The fans on these are a big job to access the enitre main body of the machine has to be taken apart. The fans can easily get clogged or worn out and this causes higher tempratures to the area where the cable connects. There is no easy access point to the fan area without taking the machine apart.

Technical manual here

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00701888.pdf

G

Great comment. I will try this. Can you please tell me the web site where I can purchase the lcd cable and inverter? didn't find much help on the web sites I visited. thank you.

greg_03

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
hello i have a dv5000 with a dim monitor i have replaced it with a new screen but is still dim even with the new screen i don't know whats up with it either

Status
Not open for further replies.