Message from system to alert

I am a new user of xp, I m gatting a message that there are registry errors
and i should fix these, it also tells that message is from system to alert. I
think it is fake and should i ignore it and how can i stop message alert
appear again and again. thanks for the help
6 answers Last reply
More about message system alert

    If you are seeing the "alerts" while surfing, they are indeed fakes. Ignore
    them, and make sure your popup blocker is enabled.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    noname wrote:
    > I am a new user of xp, I m gatting a message that there are registry errors
    > and i should fix these, it also tells that message is from system to alert. I
    > think it is fake and should i ignore it and how can i stop message alert
    > appear again and again. thanks for the help

    What specific kind of pop-ups are you seeing? There are at least
    three varieties of pop-ups, and the solutions vary accordingly.

    1) Does the title bar of these pop-ups read "Messenger Service?"

    This type of spam has become quite common over the couple of
    years, and unintentionally serves as a valid security "alert." It
    demonstrates that you haven't been taking sufficient precautions while
    connected to the Internet. Your data probably hasn't been compromised
    by these specific advertisements, but if you're open to this exploit,
    you may well be open to other threats, such as the Blaster Worm that
    swept across the Internet last year and the currently active Sasser
    Worm. Install and use a decent, properly configured firewall.
    (Merely disabling the messenger service, as some people recommend,
    only hides the symptom, and does little or nothing to truly secure
    your machine.) And ignoring or just "putting up with" the security
    gap represented by these messages is particularly foolish.

    Messenger Service of Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;168893

    Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet Advertisement
    Appears
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=330904

    Blocking Ads, Parasites, and Hijackers with a Hosts File
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

    Oh, and be especially wary of people who advise you to do nothing
    more than disable the messenger service. Disabling the messenger
    service, by itself, is a "head in the sand" approach to computer
    security. The real problem is not the messenger service pop-ups;
    they're actually providing a useful, if annoying, service by acting as
    a security alert. The true problem is the unsecured computer, and
    you've been advised to merely turn off the warnings. How is this
    helpful?

    2) For regular Internet pop-ups, you might try the free 12Ghosts
    Popup-killer from http://12ghosts.com/ghosts/popup.htm, Pop-Up Stopper
    from http://www.panicware.com/, or the Google Toolbar from
    http://toolbar.google.com/. Alternatively, you can upgrade your WinXP
    to SP2, to install IE's pop-up blocker. Another alternative would be
    to use another browser, such as Mozilla or Firefox, which has pop-up
    blocking capabilities. (But I'd avoid Netscape; it carries too much
    extraneous AOL garbage.)

    3) To deal with pop-ups caused by any sort of "adware" and/or
    "spyware,"such as Gator, Comet Cursors, Xupiter, Bonzai Buddy, or
    KaZaA, and their remnants, that you've deliberately (but without
    understanding the consequences) installed, two products that are
    quite effective (at finding and removing this type of scumware) are
    Ad-Aware from www.lavasoft.de and SpyBot Search & Destroy from
    www.safer-networking.org/. Both have free versions. It's even
    possible to use SpyBot Search & Destroy to "immunize" your system
    against most future intrusions. I use both and generally perform
    manual scans every week or so to clean out cookies, etc.

    Additionally, manual removal instructions for the most common
    varieties of scumware are available here:

    PC Hell Spyware and Adware Removal Help
    http://www.pchell.com/support/spyware.shtml

    More information and assistance is available at these sites:

    Blocking Ads, Parasites, and Hijackers with a Hosts File
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

    The Parasite Fight
    http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

    Neither adware nor spyware, collectively known as scumware,
    magically install themselves on anyone's computer. They are almost
    always deliberately installed by the computer's user, as part of some
    allegedly "free" service or product.

    While there are some unscrupulous malware distributors out there,
    who do attempt to install and exploit malware without consent, the
    majority of them simply rely upon the intellectual laziness and
    gullibility of the average consumer, counting on them to quickly click
    past the EULA in his/her haste to get the latest in "free" cutesy
    cursors, screensavers, "utilities," and/or wallpapers.

    If you were to read the EULAs that accompany, and to which the
    computer user must agree before the download/installation of the
    "screensaver" continues, most adware and spyware, you'll find that
    they _do_ have the consumer's permission to do exactly what they're
    doing. In the overwhelming majority of cases, computer users have no
    one to blame but themselves.

    There are several essential components to computer security: a
    knowledgeable and pro-active user, a properly configured firewall,
    reliable and up-to-date antivirus software, and the prompt repair (via
    patches, hotfixes, or service packs) of any known vulnerabilities.

    The weakest link in this "equation" is, of course, the computer
    user. No software manufacturer can -- nor should they be expected
    to -- protect the computer user from him/herself. All too many people
    have bought into the various PC/software manufacturers marketing
    claims of easy computing. They believe that their computer should be
    no harder to use than a toaster oven; they have neither the
    inclination or desire to learn how to safely use their computer. All
    too few people keep their antivirus software current, install patches
    in a timely manner, or stop to really think about that cutesy link
    they're about to click.

    Firewalls and anti-virus applications, which should always be used
    and should always be running, are important components of "safe hex,"
    but they cannot, and should not be expected to, protect the computer
    user from him/herself. Ultimately, it is incumbent upon each and
    every computer user to learn how to secure his/her own computer.

    To learn more about practicing "safe hex," start with these links:

    Protect Your PC

    Home Computer Security
    http://www.cert.org/homeusers/HomeComputerSecurity/

    List of Antivirus Software Vendors
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;49500

    Home PC Firewall Guide
    http://www.firewallguide.com/

    Scumware.com
    http://www.scumware.com/

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Turn on your firewall. Install Service Pack 2. It is fake.

    "noname" <noname@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:54A7EF0D-28E3-4F08-A8DB-7A05EEF78B88@microsoft.com...
    >I am a new user of xp, I m gatting a message that there are registry errors
    > and i should fix these, it also tells that message is from system to alert. I
    > think it is fake and should i ignore it and how can i stop message alert
    > appear again and again. thanks for the help

    Type firewall in help if you don't know how. Type Automatic updates in help to see how to get SP2.

    "noname" <noname@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:54A7EF0D-28E3-4F08-A8DB-7A05EEF78B88@microsoft.com...
    >I am a new user of xp, I m gatting a message that there are registry errors
    > and i should fix these, it also tells that message is from system to alert. I
    > think it is fake and should i ignore it and how can i stop message alert
    > appear again and again. thanks for the help

    It's probably messenger spam as this is pretty much what it says.

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message news:u1l39oNhFHA.3544@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    > If you are seeing the "alerts" while surfing, they are indeed fakes. Ignore
    > them, and make sure your popup blocker is enabled.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "noname" <noname@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>I am a new user of xp, I m gatting a message that there are registry errors
    >> and i should fix these, it also tells that message is from system to
    >> alert. I
    >> think it is fake and should i ignore it and how can i stop message alert
    >> appear again and again. thanks for the help

    And give yourself a pat on the back for being smarter than 99% of people on the internet. Most internet users leave their brain outside when using a computer and scams that they wouldn't fall for in the physical world are treated as gospel if the computer tells them.

    "noname" <noname@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:54A7EF0D-28E3-4F08-A8DB-7A05EEF78B88@microsoft.com...
    >I am a new user of xp, I m gatting a message that there are registry errors
    > and i should fix these, it also tells that message is from system to alert. I
    > think it is fake and should i ignore it and how can i stop message alert
    > appear again and again. thanks for the help

Microsoft Windows XP