Sign in with
Your question

Question Random Freezing Problem...

Tags:
Last response: in Memory
October 27, 2004 10:32:10 PM

I have been searching for the answer to this question for quite some time now. A little over 3 weeks ago I built my computer and to aid people into helping me with the problem I am about to explain here are my specs:

Intel Prescott 3.2 GHZ w/ HT - 800 FSB
ASRock P4VT8+ Mobo
512 DDR 266 (2X 256 MB)
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 256 MB

Now basically my problem is that when im on my computer no matter what is being done my computer will randomly freeze and I will require a hard boot.. now before I had my 3.2 GHZ I had a 2.0GHZ - 433 FSB .. and I wanna note that I did not have the constant freezing problems with that CPU rather another problem where I would get a blue screen with a loop error to do with my video card.. but I dont want to get into that.. Now basically when I put my 3.2 in the loop error stopped and now it has constant freeze problems where it can freeze within 2 mins or 2 hours .. its very random but always requires a hard boot.. Now because I am replacing my 512 DDR 266 Ram with a 1 GB strip of ddr400 ram I wanna the ultimate question first, **Could this be a symptom of bad ram or somthing similar?**

Well to figure this out futher did tests with "Memtest86 V1.27" it did not find any errors but the Tests froze at 73%.. so i figured somethign was wrong.. then I got a program called "Prime95" and used that.. that also froze after 11 mins running...

Now because I never had problems with this 512 DDR 266 ram before I stuck it in with my 3.2 ghz..... I wanna know...., when I installed the ram with the new cpu .. I changed the Ram voltage to "High" from "Normal" (since my mobo has only 2 settings for the ram voltage)..

**Could this ram voltage change could have made my ram go bad or w/e..?? **

Now this is my big question.. since obviously this happened after I installed my 3.2 HT CPU.. could it be a frequency problem or clock problem.. where the ram dosent work well with the CPU or somthing?

Also since this is a prescott CPU.. it gets very hot... according to my bios (which i assume is correct over any 3rd party software,) my cpu is 55C MAX when it is idle .. but in windows with MBM 5 (3rd party software) it shows my cpu as like 37 Idle.. and then 48 MAX when doing stuff.. so Im thinking maybe its 60+ C in my bios from that observation.. So basically sould it be a cpu overheat issue with teh cpu gettting too hot?.. BTW my chasis max temp is 32C and with a stock cpu heatsink and fan that came with the 3.2 I am getting these temops but I plan on getting a thermaltake spark 7..

Sorry for this lonnnnnnnnnnngggggg story and explination, but I wanna save time for quetions and want someone to be able to help me wiht this problem and be able to pin point it for me since I am not an expert...

thanks

- andrew
a b } Memory
October 28, 2004 12:16:30 AM

TMI, it's probably a problem with RAM, POWER, or HEAT.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
October 28, 2004 12:45:02 PM

I know for sure its not a heat problem, my case temp is 29-32 C and my CPU is max 40 C .. as for power I have a 550 PSU so I think the problem does lie in the ram..

Actually I posted this exact same problem in 2 other forms and the other 2 said it was a ram problem becuase the CPU can sync with the ram or somthing like that .. so I was making sure that was the case by getting a second opinion..
Related resources
a b } Memory
October 28, 2004 4:23:27 PM

Well, I have spare RAM of the super-stable variety, so if I encounted the problem I'd test the board with my super-quality RAM. But since you don't likely have the spare parts, I didn't want to push you into buying anything.

Back in the days before I had spare SDRAM (many years ago of course, during the EDO to SDRAM transition) I built a new system with a reboot issue, and actually paid a shop $20 to tell me the RAM was the problem. They had spare RAM in stock of course.

The problem as I see it, is that if you're not completely sure it's the RAM you don't want to spend the money for new stuff. Of course I also wouldn't disaude you from upgrading to higher quality RAM, it's your decision how you make the determination.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
October 28, 2004 9:10:34 PM

Maybe your problem is just the CPU. Might be hard to trouble shoot.

Am I understanding correctly that you have not tried another CPU?
October 29, 2004 3:45:37 AM

Hey, by all means let's get a CPU with an 800mhz FSB and feed it some ram running at 533 mhz. Now let's make that a Prescott and see what happens? Obvious solution? Hey, get a board that supports this CPU with DDR-400 and watch your problems disappear.

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot
October 29, 2004 1:05:30 PM

Like I said I already posted this problem and everyone is saying the same thing..

I have a good Mobo .. I ordered 1 GIG of DDR 400 last week so im just waiting for it to get delivered.. In the meantime I have to put up with the freezing...

I know its something to do with the mhz not being the same or w/e as the CPU

.. because I was running a 2 Ghz 533 FSB before and I was using this 266 ram fine..

thanks for the extra opinion guys, very much appreciated..
October 30, 2004 5:40:03 AM

Andy, make sure you have the latest BIOS installed in that mb too. A lot of the socket 478 boards require this for a Prescott to run right.

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot
November 1, 2004 9:46:41 PM

Im not 100% sure, but I encountered a similar problem and the issue lies with the dual channel function on my mobo.

I have 2 stick of 256 DDR400 CL2 ram
if i insert them to enable dual channel in the mobo the comp screws
if i insert them in any other method tts just normal 512 its fine

either stick runs fine by themselves

pls advice

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by jiaruigoh on 11/01/04 06:49 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
November 2, 2004 5:33:14 PM

DDR266 WILL run fine with a 533MHz CPU. RAM Frequency = FSB*2, in this case 133*2=266MHz.

With your new PresHOTT CPU, the FSB is 200MHz, therefor the RAM is 200*2=400MHz.

Therefore, if you are currently running your CPU at its rated speed, you are giving your RAM a serious overclock, which will be causing all your problems.

My guess would be that once you get your new DDR400 in there, your problems disappear.

XP2800+, Abit NF7, 1GB Dual-Channel DDR333, ATI R9800PRO 128MB, TT PurePower 420W, LG DVD+-R/RW
:redface: <font color=red>My wife says I suffer from premature ejaculation...I don't remember suffering<font color=red> :wink:
!