Desktop Icon keeps refreshing

July 9, 2005 8:35:56 PM

Using XP Pro SP2:

When I open a folder on my desktop and than close it, my desktop icons
refreshes itself. This happens a lot and like to know why? Also, isn't
there a desktop icon file located somewhere? Where and what file name would
that be? I read and heard that this file could be corrupted and just delete
it and a new one will be created. Any other ideas would be helpful also.

Thanks,

Mark

More about : desktop icon refreshing

Anonymous
July 10, 2005 9:34:52 AM

Try the following edit:-
line 157 left. 'Prevent Automatic Folder and Icon Refresh'

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

MarkC wrote:

> Using XP Pro SP2:
>
> When I open a folder on my desktop and than close it, my desktop icons
> refreshes itself. This happens a lot and like to know why? Also, isn't
> there a desktop icon file located somewhere? Where and what file name would
> that be? I read and heard that this file could be corrupted and just delete
> it and a new one will be created. Any other ideas would be helpful also.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark

Anonymous
July 10, 2005 9:34:53 AM

Thanks for the S.Sengupta. I checked the link and found the particular file
mentioned. However, I was hoping if someone could let me know what and
where the desktop icon filename is? Thanks again.

Mark

"S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote in message
> Try the following edit:-
> line 157 left. 'Prevent Automatic Folder and Icon Refresh'
>
> regards,
> ssg MS-MVP
>
> MarkC wrote:
>
>> Using XP Pro SP2:
>>
>> When I open a folder on my desktop and than close it, my desktop icons
>> refreshes itself. This happens a lot and like to know why? Also, isn't
>> there a desktop icon file located somewhere? Where and what file name
>> would that be? I read and heard that this file could be corrupted and
>> just delete it and a new one will be created. Any other ideas would be
>> helpful also.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Mark
July 10, 2005 9:34:54 AM

All icons, not just Desktop.

Delete IconCache.db

IconCache.db. A hidden file located in...

%homepath%\Local Settings\Application Data

After deleting IconCache.db, it will be automatically recreated.

HOW TO: Search For Hidden Or System Files In Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302347

[[Hidden files and folders will appear dimmed to indicate they are not
typical items.]]

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:%23srMUsOhFHA.3656@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
MarkC <None@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:
> Thanks for the S.Sengupta. I checked the link and found the particular
> file mentioned. However, I was hoping if someone could let me know what
> and where the desktop icon filename is? Thanks again.
>
> Mark
>

> "S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote in message
>> Try the following edit:-
>> line 157 left. 'Prevent Automatic Folder and Icon Refresh'
>>
>> regards,
>> ssg MS-MVP
>>
>> MarkC wrote:
>>
>>> Using XP Pro SP2:
>>>
>>> When I open a folder on my desktop and than close it, my desktop icons
>>> refreshes itself. This happens a lot and like to know why? Also, isn't
>>> there a desktop icon file located somewhere? Where and what file name
>>> would that be? I read and heard that this file could be corrupted and
>>> just delete it and a new one will be created. Any other ideas would be
>>> helpful also.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Mark
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 11:16:26 PM

Thanks Sengupta: I will look into it. But sure would like to know what the
desktop Icon file is???
Mark

"S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote in message
> Try the following edit:-
> line 157 left. 'Prevent Automatic Folder and Icon Refresh'
>
> regards,
> ssg MS-MVP
>
> MarkC wrote:
>
>> Using XP Pro SP2:
>>
>> When I open a folder on my desktop and than close it, my desktop icons
>> refreshes itself. This happens a lot and like to know why? Also, isn't
>> there a desktop icon file located somewhere? Where and what file name
>> would that be? I read and heard that this file could be corrupted and
>> just delete it and a new one will be created. Any other ideas would be
>> helpful also.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Mark
July 13, 2005 4:12:11 AM

You may be speaking of desktop.ini? Either way, these are only visible via:
Tools/Folder Options/View:

Show hidden files and folders
Uncheck- Hide protected operating system files

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP