Desktop Icon keeps refreshing

Using XP Pro SP2:

When I open a folder on my desktop and than close it, my desktop icons
refreshes itself. This happens a lot and like to know why? Also, isn't
there a desktop icon file located somewhere? Where and what file name would
that be? I read and heard that this file could be corrupted and just delete
it and a new one will be created. Any other ideas would be helpful also.

Thanks,

Mark
5 answers Last reply
More about desktop icon refreshing

    Try the following edit:-
    line 157 left. 'Prevent Automatic Folder and Icon Refresh'

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    MarkC wrote:

    > Using XP Pro SP2:
    >
    > When I open a folder on my desktop and than close it, my desktop icons
    > refreshes itself. This happens a lot and like to know why? Also, isn't
    > there a desktop icon file located somewhere? Where and what file name would
    > that be? I read and heard that this file could be corrupted and just delete
    > it and a new one will be created. Any other ideas would be helpful also.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Mark

    Thanks for the S.Sengupta. I checked the link and found the particular file
    mentioned. However, I was hoping if someone could let me know what and
    where the desktop icon filename is? Thanks again.

    Mark

    "S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote in message
    > Try the following edit:-
    > line 157 left. 'Prevent Automatic Folder and Icon Refresh'
    >
    > regards,
    > ssg MS-MVP
    >
    > MarkC wrote:
    >
    >> Using XP Pro SP2:
    >>
    >> When I open a folder on my desktop and than close it, my desktop icons
    >> refreshes itself. This happens a lot and like to know why? Also, isn't
    >> there a desktop icon file located somewhere? Where and what file name
    >> would that be? I read and heard that this file could be corrupted and
    >> just delete it and a new one will be created. Any other ideas would be
    >> helpful also.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Mark

    All icons, not just Desktop.

    Delete IconCache.db

    IconCache.db. A hidden file located in...

    %homepath%\Local Settings\Application Data

    After deleting IconCache.db, it will be automatically recreated.

    HOW TO: Search For Hidden Or System Files In Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302347

    [[Hidden files and folders will appear dimmed to indicate they are not
    typical items.]]

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:%23srMUsOhFHA.3656@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    MarkC <None@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Thanks for the S.Sengupta. I checked the link and found the particular
    > file mentioned. However, I was hoping if someone could let me know what
    > and where the desktop icon filename is? Thanks again.
    >
    > Mark
    >

    > "S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote in message
    >> Try the following edit:-
    >> line 157 left. 'Prevent Automatic Folder and Icon Refresh'
    >>
    >> regards,
    >> ssg MS-MVP
    >>
    >> MarkC wrote:
    >>
    >>> Using XP Pro SP2:
    >>>
    >>> When I open a folder on my desktop and than close it, my desktop icons
    >>> refreshes itself. This happens a lot and like to know why? Also, isn't
    >>> there a desktop icon file located somewhere? Where and what file name
    >>> would that be? I read and heard that this file could be corrupted and
    >>> just delete it and a new one will be created. Any other ideas would be
    >>> helpful also.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> Mark

    Thanks Sengupta: I will look into it. But sure would like to know what the
    desktop Icon file is???
    Mark

    "S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote in message
    > Try the following edit:-
    > line 157 left. 'Prevent Automatic Folder and Icon Refresh'
    >
    > regards,
    > ssg MS-MVP
    >
    > MarkC wrote:
    >
    >> Using XP Pro SP2:
    >>
    >> When I open a folder on my desktop and than close it, my desktop icons
    >> refreshes itself. This happens a lot and like to know why? Also, isn't
    >> there a desktop icon file located somewhere? Where and what file name
    >> would that be? I read and heard that this file could be corrupted and
    >> just delete it and a new one will be created. Any other ideas would be
    >> helpful also.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Mark

    You may be speaking of desktop.ini? Either way, these are only visible via:
    Tools/Folder Options/View:

    Show hidden files and folders
    Uncheck- Hide protected operating system files

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "MarkC" <None@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks Sengupta: I will look into it. But sure would like to know what
    > the desktop Icon file is???
    > Mark
    >

    > "S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote in message
    >> Try the following edit:-
    >> line 157 left. 'Prevent Automatic Folder and Icon Refresh'
    >>
    >> regards,
    >> ssg MS-MVP
    >>
    >> MarkC wrote:
    >>
    >>> Using XP Pro SP2:
    >>>
    >>> When I open a folder on my desktop and than close it, my desktop icons
    >>> refreshes itself. This happens a lot and like to know why? Also, isn't
    >>> there a desktop icon file located somewhere? Where and what file name
    >>> would that be? I read and heard that this file could be corrupted and
    >>> just delete it and a new one will be created. Any other ideas would be
    >>> helpful also.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> Mark

Desktops Microsoft Windows XP