autoexec.nt won't allow windows app

I tried to load the setup file for ErWin - a database writing app. I've
loaded it before on 98SE and 2K with no trouble. I just tried to load it on
XP Home and received the following:

16 bit Windows Subsystem
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running
MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the
application.

How can I go about loading the file?

Greg

Have you run an antivirus scan lately, using the very latest virus
definition files? There are some virus's that can cause this.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

Quote from: George Ankner

"gregt" <thogreg@rogers.com> wrote in message
>I tried to load the setup file for ErWin - a database writing app. I've
>loaded it before on 98SE and 2K with no trouble. I just tried to load it
>on XP Home and received the following:
>
> 16 bit Windows Subsystem
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for
> running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to
> terminate the application.
>
> How can I go about loading the file?
>
> Greg

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324767/
Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based program

A typical AUTOEXEC.NT file looks like this:

@echo off

REM AUTOEXEC.BAT is not used to initialize the MS-DOS environment.
REM AUTOEXEC.NT is used to initialize the MS-DOS environment unless a
REM different startup file is specified in an application's PIF.

REM Install CD ROM extensions
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\mscdexnt.exe

REM Install network redirector (load before dosx.exe)
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\redir

REM Install DPMI support
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\dosx

REM The following line enables Sound Blaster 2.0 support on NTVDM.
REM The command for setting the BLASTER environment is as follows:
REM SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330
REM where:
REM A specifies the sound blaster's base I/O port
REM I specifies the interrupt request line
REM D specifies the 8-bit DMA channel
REM P specifies the MPU-401 base I/O port
REM T specifies the type of sound blaster card
REM 1 - Sound Blaster 1.5
REM 2 - Sound Blaster Pro I
REM 3 - Sound Blaster 2.0
REM 4 - Sound Blaster Pro II
REM 6 - SOund Blaster 16/AWE 32/32/64
REM
REM The default value is A220 I5 D1 T3 and P330. If any of the switches is
REM left unspecified, the default value will be used. (NOTE, since all the
REM ports are virtualized, the information provided here does not have to
REM match the real hardware setting.) NTVDM supports Sound Blaster 2.0 only.
REM The T switch must be set to 3, if specified.
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330 T3

REM To disable the sound blaster 2.0 support on NTVDM, specify an invalid
REM SB base I/O port address. For example:
REM SET BLASTER=A0

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"gregt" <thogreg@rogers.com> wrote in message news:ukwlOAOhFHA.1948@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>I tried to load the setup file for ErWin - a database writing app. I've
> loaded it before on 98SE and 2K with no trouble. I just tried to load it on
> XP Home and received the following:
>
> 16 bit Windows Subsystem
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running
> MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the
> application.
>
> How can I go about loading the file?
>
> Greg

I looked at the support procedures. It turned out that I didn't have an
autoexec.nt file anywhere. I only needed to create that file (according to
instructions) and enter it into the system32 folder. The program now loads
perfectly.

Thanks,
Greg

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
[...]

Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
Display\Security
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"gregt" <thogreg@rogers.com> wrote in message
>I tried to load the setup file for ErWin - a database writing app. I've
> loaded it before on 98SE and 2K with no trouble. I just tried to load it
> on
> XP Home and received the following:
>
> 16 bit Windows Subsystem
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for
> running
> MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the
> application.
>
> How can I go about loading the file?
>
> Greg

You're welcome :)

"gregt" <thogreg@rogers.com> wrote in message news:Oxj1JlPhFHA.1048@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> [...]
> REM SB base I/O port address. For example:
> REM SET BLASTER=A0
>

> --
> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
> Display\Security
> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> --------------------------------
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "gregt" <thogreg@rogers.com> wrote in message
>>I tried to load the setup file for ErWin - a database writing app. I've
>> loaded it before on 98SE and 2K with no trouble. I just tried to load it
>> on
>> XP Home and received the following:
>>
>> 16 bit Windows Subsystem
>> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for
>> running
>> MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=324767
autoexec.nt problem is most likely caused by a worm or if you have
WinXP SP2 and AVAST installed.
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=5f6f139.0409140618.749324fe%40posting.google.com
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=5f6f139.0409140618.749324fe%40posting.google.com

scan your system with latest virus definitioned antivirus,as well as
with latest versions of Spybot,search and destroy,CWShredder,adaware.Run
them in safe mode.

regards,
ssg MS-MVP