Uninstall XP PRO SP2

I would like to clear my PC. I currently have WIN XP PRO SP2. I have a 120GB
harddrive. I would like to install half the drive to WIN 98SE and the other
half to WIN XP PRO , mainly so I can run some of my older programs. Can
someone tell me how to remove my XP so I can start fresh ?
--
Anthony M Bowers
4 answers Last reply

    "AnthonyMB1" <AnthonyMB1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I would like to clear my PC. I currently have WIN XP PRO SP2. I have a
    >120GB
    > harddrive. I would like to install half the drive to WIN 98SE and the
    > other
    > half to WIN XP PRO , mainly so I can run some of my older programs. Can
    > someone tell me how to remove my XP so I can start fresh ?
    > --

    Boot on your Windows XP CD and choose to delete the partition when you get
    to the repartitioning part of the install. All your data will be gone at
    that point.

    Regards,

    Carl

    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html
    the above link is for bootitng..........a program that lets you
    create/add/delete/resize partitions
    read the instructions and create a new partion on your HD.Format that
    partition in fat32.Actually the ideal situation would be to create 4
    partitions...one for 98..fat32/one for 98 programs...fat32/one for
    XP..ntfs/one for XP programs..ntfs .Start with the XP Cd in and start the
    installation process...watch and pick the option to format the drive as
    fat32....as soon as its finished formatting stop the installation.Remove the
    XP cd.Now use BooTItNg to create and format your partitions.Then install Win
    98 onto the C partition....make sure it works .Then from within 98 do a new
    install of XP onto the other partition formatting it to NTFS.Remember that
    formatting will erase everything on the drive.
    XP will automatically create the dual boot and overwrite the C MBR with its
    own.This means that all of the boot files will be on the C drive!!.....
    If you have created 4 partitions you can now install your programs
    accordingly.Win 98 will not be able to see the NTFS partitions but XP will
    be able to see all partitions.All programs that you wish to use under both
    OS need to be installed under both OS.
    good luck
    peterk

    the problem

    AnthonyMB1 wrote:
    > I would like to clear my PC. I currently have WIN XP PRO SP2. I have a 120GB
    > harddrive. I would like to install half the drive to WIN 98SE and the other
    > half to WIN XP PRO , mainly so I can run some of my older programs. Can
    > someone tell me how to remove my XP so I can start fresh ?

    The normal way to "uninstall" any operating system is to format
    the hard drive and install a new OS of your choice.

    The simplest way I've found to dual boot between Win9x/Me and WinXP
    would be to partition your drive(s) roughly as follows:

    C: Primary FAT32 Win9x/Me/Legacy Apps
    D: Extended NTFS WinXP/Modern Apps

    Adjust the partition sizes according to your actual hard drive(s)
    size and the amount of space you'd like to allocate to each OS and its
    applications.

    Create the partitions using Win9x's FDISK so you can enable large
    disk support (FAT32). (No need for 3rd party partitioning
    utilities/boot managers and their frequent complications.)

    Install Win9x/Me first, being sure to select "C:\Windows" (or
    D:\Windows, if you prefer) when asked for the default Windows
    directory. When you subsequently install WinXP, be sure to specify
    "D:\Winnt" (or "D:\Windows," "C:\Winnt" as referred/applicable) when
    asked for the default Windows directory, to place it in the other
    partition. The WinXP installation routine will automatically set up a
    Multi-boot menu for you. The default settings for this menu can be
    readily edited from within WinXP. NOTE: If you elect to place
    Win9x/Me on the "D:" drive, you'll _have_ to leave the "C:" drive as
    FAT32.

    This method can be adapted to using 2 physical hard drives by
    placing the boot partition (C:, which still must be FAT32) and either
    of the operating systems on the Primary Master hard drive, and the
    second operating system on the second hard drive.

    It is also possible to have a 3rd partition for shared
    applications, but it would be necessary for such a partition to be
    formatted in the common file format (FAT32). The applications would
    also have to be installed into each OS (to ensure proper system file
    placement and registry updates), one at a time, but the bulk of the
    program files could be located on this common partition. I do not,
    however, actually recommend doing this as, if you were to uninstall
    such an application from one OS, you may not be able to gracefully
    uninstall it from the second OS, having already deleted crucial
    installation data during the first uninstall action.

    Just about everything you need to know (URLs may wrap):

    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q217/2/10.ASP

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gettingstarted/multiboot.asp

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Hi ... Have a view at this website there lots of good info data , just click
    on any section on the left side of the screen to view the info

    http://michaelstevenstech.com/

    "AnthonyMB1" <AnthonyMB1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I would like to clear my PC. I currently have WIN XP PRO SP2. I have a
    >120GB
    > harddrive. I would like to install half the drive to WIN 98SE and the
    > other
    > half to WIN XP PRO , mainly so I can run some of my older programs. Can
    > someone tell me how to remove my XP so I can start fresh ?
    > --
    > Anthony M Bowers

Windows XP Microsoft Hard Drives