VIA AC'97 Microphone doesn't work.

I have Windows XP. When I record something on Sound Recorder, then I put
play, all I hear is this little disturbing sound and the green line or
whatever you call it barely moves. I've checked everything but I can't fix
anything. Please help. Thanks.
5 answers Last reply
More about microphone doesn work

    If you verified everything, that doesn't leave much to be wrong! Correct
    microphone and plug? Tested a second mic? Mic volume turned up? Correct
    drivers?

    Peter_Mac wrote:

    > I have Windows XP. When I record something on Sound Recorder, then I put
    > play, all I hear is this little disturbing sound and the green line or
    > whatever you call it barely moves. I've checked everything but I can't fix
    > anything. Please help. Thanks.

    Bob I, I already fixed the problem...Brett Evanson helped me out in the
    Windows Hardware Thread. Thanks anyways.

    "Bob I" wrote:

    > If you verified everything, that doesn't leave much to be wrong! Correct
    > microphone and plug? Tested a second mic? Mic volume turned up? Correct
    > drivers?
    >
    > Peter_Mac wrote:
    >
    > > I have Windows XP. When I record something on Sound Recorder, then I put
    > > play, all I hear is this little disturbing sound and the green line or
    > > whatever you call it barely moves. I've checked everything but I can't fix
    > > anything. Please help. Thanks.

    What was his reply?

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "Peter_Mac" <PeterMac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Bob I, I already fixed the problem...Brett Evanson helped me out in the
    > Windows Hardware Thread. Thanks anyways.
    >
    > "Bob I" wrote:
    >
    >> If you verified everything, that doesn't leave much to be wrong! Correct
    >> microphone and plug? Tested a second mic? Mic volume turned up? Correct
    >> drivers?
    >>
    >> Peter_Mac wrote:
    >>
    >> > I have Windows XP. When I record something on Sound Recorder, then I
    >> > put
    >> > play, all I hear is this little disturbing sound and the green line or
    >> > whatever you call it barely moves. I've checked everything but I can't
    >> > fix
    >> > anything. Please help. Thanks.

    Glad it's fixed, was the the one where the microphone volume was turned
    all the way down?

    "Brett Evanson" wrote:

    > Have you checked your recording volume? Open up your volume control, go to
    > the settings or properties and select the recording volumes instead of
    > output volumes, and make sure your mic isn't on mute. Most computers default
    > to mute so you don't get feedback from your mic
    >
    > Brett

    I went to 'Edit', then clicked on 'Audio Properties'. Then I clicked on the
    tab 'Volume' for the Sound Recording. That takes me to a window labeled
    'Recording Control'. There are 5 scroll bars...at the bottom of each scroll
    bar there's a little box that you can click to mute it. The scroll bars are:
    Recording, Stereo Mixer, Mic, Line In, CD Player. So the mute selection was
    on the Stereo Mixer little box.

Microphone Microsoft Windows XP