VIA AC'97 Microphone doesn't work.

I have Windows XP. When I record something on Sound Recorder, then I put
play, all I hear is this little disturbing sound and the green line or
whatever you call it barely moves. I've checked everything but I can't fix
anything. Please help. Thanks.

If you verified everything, that doesn't leave much to be wrong! Correct
microphone and plug? Tested a second mic? Mic volume turned up? Correct
drivers?

Peter_Mac wrote:

> I have Windows XP. When I record something on Sound Recorder, then I put
> play, all I hear is this little disturbing sound and the green line or
> whatever you call it barely moves. I've checked everything but I can't fix
> anything. Please help. Thanks.

Bob I, I already fixed the problem...Brett Evanson helped me out in the
Windows Hardware Thread. Thanks anyways.

"Bob I" wrote:

> If you verified everything, that doesn't leave much to be wrong! Correct
> microphone and plug? Tested a second mic? Mic volume turned up? Correct
> drivers?
>
> Peter_Mac wrote:
>
> > I have Windows XP. When I record something on Sound Recorder, then I put
> > play, all I hear is this little disturbing sound and the green line or
> > whatever you call it barely moves. I've checked everything but I can't fix
> > anything. Please help. Thanks.

kelly

What was his reply?

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Peter_Mac" <PeterMac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Bob I, I already fixed the problem...Brett Evanson helped me out in the
> Windows Hardware Thread. Thanks anyways.
>
> "Bob I" wrote:
>
>> If you verified everything, that doesn't leave much to be wrong! Correct
>> microphone and plug? Tested a second mic? Mic volume turned up? Correct
>> drivers?
>>
>> Peter_Mac wrote:
>>
>> > I have Windows XP. When I record something on Sound Recorder, then I
>> > put
>> > play, all I hear is this little disturbing sound and the green line or
>> > whatever you call it barely moves. I've checked everything but I can't
>> > fix
>> > anything. Please help. Thanks.

Glad it's fixed, was the the one where the microphone volume was turned
all the way down?

"Brett Evanson" wrote:

> Have you checked your recording volume? Open up your volume control, go to
> the settings or properties and select the recording volumes instead of
> output volumes, and make sure your mic isn't on mute. Most computers default
> to mute so you don't get feedback from your mic
>
> Brett

I went to 'Edit', then clicked on 'Audio Properties'. Then I clicked on the
tab 'Volume' for the Sound Recording. That takes me to a window labeled
'Recording Control'. There are 5 scroll bars...at the bottom of each scroll
bar there's a little box that you can click to mute it. The scroll bars are:
Recording, Stereo Mixer, Mic, Line In, CD Player. So the mute selection was
on the Stereo Mixer little box.