Sign in with
Your question

Quick Question On Win 7 Boot Options

Last response: in Windows 7
September 10, 2012 5:02:04 PM

I recently built my PC and need something clarified. I installed W7 64 on a SSD. My question is this: in my BIOS I have three options for my boot order. The only one that seems to work is Windows Boot Manager. Is this what I want to have selected as my boot option #1? I was under the impression that I should be able to boot from the SSD, which is listed as an option. So I am slightly confused. Does everybody just boot from Windows Boot Manager? And I am only booting W7, nothing else.

Thanks!
a c 408 $ Windows 7
September 10, 2012 5:59:11 PM

Clean install win 7 on the ssd with no other hdd connected.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 10, 2012 5:59:50 PM

It sounds to me like there is another operating system on this SSD and that is why you are getting that screen. I would secure wipe the SSD and then install a fresh Windows 7 setup.
m
l
Related resources
September 10, 2012 6:02:53 PM

If you boot with Windows Boot manager, it does not mean it is a boot device.It is a software boot manager for windows.

It means your bios detected and booted from the "1st available bootable hard-drive", every bios is default setup like this. Remember bios's differ but basically all have the following type of boot options:
removable media (including CD-roms, usb, floppy etc.)
and then "permanent" media (inluding HDD+ssd, LAN, Raid etc etc)
I think in your case, does the bios really say "Windows Boot Manager" ? Thats weird and might be vendor specific.

Windows boot manager cant boot without an actual boot sector on a HDD or SSD. WBM is an automatic addon when installing multiple OS's on a system, giving you oppertunity to boot the desired OS. Run "msconfig" to edit boot options in windows.

The 3 options you say you bios gives you, what are they?
I personally leave it on HDD first to avoid accidentally booting to an usb, but it is just preference. Does not really matter if only you use the pc. And one more thing... selecting HDD 1st can sometimes increase boot speed, but really a few seconds at most.
m
l
September 10, 2012 6:38:30 PM

Thanks for the quick replies!

First, there's no other operating system on the SSD. I bought the OEM version of the Samsung 830 256GB, opened the box, and installed it. So unless the W7 install did something weird, it's not that.

Second, I didn't connect my 3TB HDD until AFTER the complete install of W7. Originally, I couldn't boot up because I had my SSD selected as the first boot option. I got a message that said "select bootable media and restart" or something along those lines. So I then set Windows Boot Manager as my boot option #1, and W7 starts right up. And that was before I had even hooked up the HDD. So it's not the HDD. I have tried unconnecting it, but the problem still persists.

Third, I have been confused about this Windows Boot Manager as a selectable boot option. I haven't been able to find anything on it via googling. All I can find is people referring to it in regards to multiple OSs. That's why I came here.

My mobo is a Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H, if that helps.

What Blakwidow is saying is something along what I have been thinking. WBM seems like some sort of backdoor way for me to get into windows. I know W7 is on my SSD, but when I point to it as my boot option #1 I get the "select bootable media and restart" screen I mentioned earlier.

Give me a second, I will reboot and write down what the 3 options are that my bios gives me.
m
l
September 10, 2012 6:44:51 PM

I saw on the Samsung site about SSD Magician 3.0 ? Never used this but Is it not preinstalled on the drive?

When you installed windows did you use the advanced drive options and deleted any existing partitions?

Seems like a preinstalled SSD Magician 3.0 is causing this issue...have a look.
m
l
September 10, 2012 6:45:08 PM

And what am I looking for in msconfig? Under boot I have one option: Windows 7 (C:\Windows) : Current OS; Default OS
m
l
September 10, 2012 6:45:09 PM

My 3 BIOS boot options are:

1) P2: Optiarc DVD RW
2) Windows Boot Manager
3) SAMSUNG SSD 830 Series
m
l
September 10, 2012 6:47:53 PM

blakwidowrsa said:
I saw on the Samsung site about SSD Magician 3.0 ? Never used this but Is it not preinstalled on the drive?

When you installed windows did you use the advanced drive options and deleted any existing partitions?

Seems like a preinstalled SSD Magician 3.0 is causing this issue...have a look.

I don't think it came with it preinstalled. The firmware was updated, but that was it. When I selected where to install W7, there was only 1 partition of unallocated space. The drive came with magician on a disc.

And thanks for all of your replies and help
m
l
September 10, 2012 6:51:37 PM

meowkung said:
I have GA-z77 D3H as well. I've never seen WBM as an option before. Do you have any other device , e.g., usb drive, connected to the computer ?

No, I do not. When I installed I had my SSD and my keyboard plugged in. That's all. My keyboard is wireless USB, but not a USB drive or anything. I installed from the OEM disc W7 64.

What are your boot options?
m
l
September 10, 2012 6:52:12 PM

biggoose62 said:
My 3 BIOS boot options are:

1) P2: Optiarc DVD RW
2) Windows Boot Manager
3) SAMSUNG SSD 830 Series

I have GA-z77 D3H as well. I've never seen WBM as an option before. Do you have any other device , e.g., usb drive, connected to the computer ?
m
l
September 10, 2012 6:52:26 PM

Then leave it on Windows Boot Manager, it looks like the BIOS will look for the WBM.
No issue to worry about.
m
l
September 10, 2012 6:58:38 PM

blakwidowrsa said:
Then leave it on Windows Boot Manager, it looks like the BIOS will look for the WBM.
No issue to worry about.

As long as it's not hurting anything, I guess it doesn't matter. As long as everything functions as it should, then I guess I don't care. But I would think it would make booting take a little longer, no? And I just want to make sure I've got this set up correctly before I start adding all my programs and whatnot to it.

Meowkung has the same board that I do, and he's never seen this boot option. I'm wondering if a clean install might solve this. Would prefer not to, but I wouldn't lose much.

m
l
September 10, 2012 7:26:17 PM

biggoose62 said:
No, I do not. When I installed I had my SSD and my keyboard plugged in. That's all. My keyboard is wireless USB, but not a USB drive or anything. I installed from the OEM disc W7 64.

What are your boot options?

I only have all connected bootable devices, i.e., HDD, SSD, DVDRom or USB drive if present.
m
l
September 10, 2012 8:00:13 PM

meowkung said:
I only have all connected bootable devices, i.e., HDD, SSD, DVDRom or USB drive if present.

Well my SSD shows up, but it says SO: SAMSUNG. Does yours say anything in front of your SSD?
m
l
!