System Restore creates problems

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Long story. Here is the short version.

1) While cleaning C drive, somehow on a VAIO, it stopped recognizing built
in DVD RW and CD ROM drives. My computer does not show existence of DVD and
CD drives.
2) So I decided to use system restore and restored it to a point one month
back
3) After restore, I went to My computer to see if DVD and CD drives are
visible. They are not. So I guessed that restore did not work
3) I then did "un-restore" to get the system back to today's state. It said
it worked. But after this "un-restore" my OEM installed Norton Internet SW
does not load. It says it can't find the SW. So, I thought fine I will go to
their site and download it and re-install, but then I find out my IE is not
working.

If I go to command prompt, with cmd, and do "ipconfig" it is fine. I can
ping yahoo.com so I know connectivity is fine. But when I start IE, it says
server not found so now I have lost Norton Internet SW (firewall, anti-virus
etc) and I can't go to internet since IE is not working. What a mess.

Not sure how to get out of this. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for help.

Note :: I am using XP, to be specific Media Center Edtion 2005. But this is
not a MCE issue, seems to be generic XP issue.
5 answers Last reply
More about system restore creates problems
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    If you really want to use something like System Restore - consider Symantec
    GoBack 4.0. It is system restore on steroids. The file that retains the
    goback information can be made (during the time of installation) to be up to
    8 gig in size.

    Now, that seems like a lot, but without careful planning you may still run
    into the problem where you can only go back 3-4 days (or less). This would
    occur if you have many HUGE files, such as movies on the monitored drives.
    Delete 2-3 movies and you have used up your goback space. But on a normal
    computer, if there is such a thing, GoBack will usually allow you to return
    to where you were a month prior. It all depends on YOUR usage.

    On my test computer I only monitor the main hard drive which has partitions
    C-D-E. All movies, huge CAD files etc are kept on drive F. My Ghost image
    files are kept on a removable hard drive. Needless to say I don't monitor
    these drives.

    Couple GoBack (for short term protection) with an imaging program, such as
    Ghost or True Image (for long term protection) and you are fairly bullet
    proof.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner
    "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
    You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"

    "masik" <masik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:ED5CFB44-2171-43CC-9F8E-EEF4B551F506@microsoft.com...
    > Long story. Here is the short version.
    >
    > 1) While cleaning C drive, somehow on a VAIO, it stopped recognizing built
    > in DVD RW and CD ROM drives. My computer does not show existence of DVD
    > and
    > CD drives.
    > 2) So I decided to use system restore and restored it to a point one month
    > back
    > 3) After restore, I went to My computer to see if DVD and CD drives are
    > visible. They are not. So I guessed that restore did not work
    > 3) I then did "un-restore" to get the system back to today's state. It
    > said
    > it worked. But after this "un-restore" my OEM installed Norton Internet SW
    > does not load. It says it can't find the SW. So, I thought fine I will go
    > to
    > their site and download it and re-install, but then I find out my IE is
    > not
    > working.
    >
    > If I go to command prompt, with cmd, and do "ipconfig" it is fine. I can
    > ping yahoo.com so I know connectivity is fine. But when I start IE, it
    > says
    > server not found so now I have lost Norton Internet SW (firewall,
    > anti-virus
    > etc) and I can't go to internet since IE is not working. What a mess.
    >
    > Not sure how to get out of this. Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for help.
    >
    > Note :: I am using XP, to be specific Media Center Edtion 2005. But this
    > is
    > not a MCE issue, seems to be generic XP issue.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >If you really want to use something like System Restore - consider Symantec
    >GoBack 4.0. It is system restore on steroids. The file that retains the
    >goback information can be made (during the time of installation) to be up to
    >8 gig in size.
    >

    Being as it is a Symantec product I would say it is more likely to
    resemble System Restore on Crystal Meth or LSD (or both).


    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service
    http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    http://aumha.org/alex.htm
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "masik" <masik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Hi Ron,
    >
    >Thanks for the tips. I did uninstall drives from Device Manager and rebooted
    >the PC still not luck. It says in property that
    >
    >Windows cannot load the devivce driver for this HW. The driver may be
    >corrupted or missind (Code 39).
    >
    >And due to system restore issues, IE does not work so I can't connect to
    >internet, I am writing this from another PC. So looks like I am hosed.
    >
    >Not sure how to get the drives working. I have recovery CDs I can at least
    >get the PC restored to factory defaults. Any clues there?
    >

    Here is a registry patch that will clean out all CD drive references
    from your registry:
    http://www.aumha.org/downloads/cdgone.zip

    Download, unzip and install it then reboot the computer.

    Good luck


    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service
    http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    http://aumha.org/alex.htm
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Hi Ron,

    Thanks. I did not use this, was not sure about touching the windows
    registry. But ultimately the problem was in registry. I ended up contacting
    Sony and paying for the support, since my PC is now 2 & half years old and
    out of warranty. :-)

    But here is the solution for the community, so if others face the problem
    they don't have to pay. Pay attention to the Error code you see in the device
    manager. I had Code 39. Go to Microsoft knowledge base and search on Code 39.
    It says if you have problem with Easy CD something, use the process. That is
    the process you use.

    Somehow, two entries get added to your registry High Filters and Low
    Filters. These entries affect the drive recognition and thus operation under
    wondows. The MS article talks about which entry in the registry to look and
    edit. Basically delete Low filter and high filter and reboot. That worked for
    me. But before anybody tries this out, read the MS article carefully.

    Thanks again to all for helping me out. Looks like I am set for now.

    "Ron Martell" wrote:

    > "masik" <masik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi Ron,
    > >
    > >Thanks for the tips. I did uninstall drives from Device Manager and rebooted
    > >the PC still not luck. It says in property that
    > >
    > >Windows cannot load the devivce driver for this HW. The driver may be
    > >corrupted or missind (Code 39).
    > >
    > >And due to system restore issues, IE does not work so I can't connect to
    > >internet, I am writing this from another PC. So looks like I am hosed.
    > >
    > >Not sure how to get the drives working. I have recovery CDs I can at least
    > >get the PC restored to factory defaults. Any clues there?
    > >
    >
    > Here is a registry patch that will clean out all CD drive references
    > from your registry:
    > http://www.aumha.org/downloads/cdgone.zip
    >
    > Download, unzip and install it then reboot the computer.
    >
    > Good luck
    >
    >
    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP
    > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
    >
    > In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    > http://aumha.org/alex.htm
    >
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Hi,

    If you followed Ron's advise and used the cdgone.reg file you would
    have achieved the same result. Of course minus the cost of tech
    support from Sony.

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    http://dts-l.org/

    masik wrote:
    > Hi Ron,
    >
    > Thanks. I did not use this, was not sure about touching
    > the windows registry. But ultimately the problem was in
    > registry. I ended up contacting Sony and paying for the
    > support, since my PC is now 2 & half years old and out of
    > warranty. :-)
    >
    > But here is the solution for the community, so if others
    > face the problem they don't have to pay. Pay attention to
    > the Error code you see in the device manager. I had Code
    > 39. Go to Microsoft knowledge base and search on Code 39.
    > It says if you have problem with Easy CD something, use
    > the process. That is the process you use.
    >
    > Somehow, two entries get added to your registry High
    > Filters and Low Filters. These entries affect the drive
    > recognition and thus operation under wondows. The MS
    > article talks about which entry in the registry to look
    > and edit. Basically delete Low filter and high filter and
    > reboot. That worked for me. But before anybody tries this
    > out, read the MS article carefully.
    >
    > Thanks again to all for helping me out. Looks like I am
    > set for now.
    >
    > "Ron Martell" wrote:
    >
    >> "masik" <masik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi Ron,
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for the tips. I did uninstall drives from Device
    >>> Manager and rebooted the PC still not luck. It says in
    >>> property that
    >>>
    >>> Windows cannot load the devivce driver for this HW. The
    >>> driver may be corrupted or missind (Code 39).
    >>>
    >>> And due to system restore issues, IE does not work so I
    >>> can't connect to internet, I am writing this from
    >>> another PC. So looks like I am hosed.
    >>>
    >>> Not sure how to get the drives working. I have recovery
    >>> CDs I can at least get the PC restored to factory
    >>> defaults. Any clues there?
    >>>
    >>
    >> Here is a registry patch that will clean out all CD
    >> drive references from your registry:
    >> http://www.aumha.org/downloads/cdgone.zip
    >>
    >> Download, unzip and install it then reboot the computer.
    >>
    >> Good luck
    >>
    >>
    >> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    >> --
    >> Microsoft MVP
    >> On-Line Help Computer Service
    >> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
    >>
    >> In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    >> http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Ask a new question

Read More

System Restore Windows XP