Need Recommendations for good enough professional 21/22 in

avim

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
Hi all,

RE: Need Recommendations for "good enough" professional 21/22 inch LCD screen

Since I now seem to be spending more time working at home I need recommendations for a large (at least 21 inch @ approx. 1600x1200) LCD screen of "good enough" quality to use at HOME. About a year ago, I bought a new EIZO 21" screen to use at my CLIENTS. It's beautiful, but it cost $1,200 (in local currency), so although I never stop singing its praises I am not inclined to buy one like that again. Since the time I bought that EIZO I have seen screen prices drop (but not of EIZO…) and the entry-level size get bigger. For instance, there is a ViewSonic 22" for about $500 (in local currency).

I am a technical writer, and for us writers, quality of text is of the utmost importance. i.e., sharp and well-defined -- and black text should be black, not grey, otherwise you will be straining to make out the letters and will get eye-strain. I think for that you need a contrast of at least 1000:1. That ViewSonic 22" I saw has 700:1. Really, I should try to go and see it.

Anyway, I need some recommendations based on personal experience. Also indicate whether 1600x1200 or "wide". Problems: a lot of wides coming out now, and their res is 1680x1050, and my Thinkkpad T30 laptop doesn't do that. Actually, even the T43 also doesn't do that. That's a real nuisance...

tia,

Avraham

------------------------------
Avraham Makeler
Freelance Technical Writer

Hose

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
1. There are few (if any) "professional 22" LCDs... they have TN panels and are geared toward gamer market.

2. The 1600x1200 (UXGA) monitors in your range come in 20" and 21"... same resolution, but the 21's cost 50-100% more for that extra inch.

All of the UXGAs should be quite good, except Samsung 204B... it's not bad, but it does have a TN panel.

NEC probably has the biggest selection of models... also, Planar PL2011M and PL2010M... HP LP2065.... Dell and Philips, too.

avim

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
Hi,

Hose said:
1. There are few (if any) "professional 22" LCDs... the have TN panels and are geared toward gamer market.

Can u point me to an article about the diff between TN panels and the 'regular' (TFT?) panels? Or write a few words about it - if you can.

Hose said:
2. The 1600x1200 (UXGA) monitors in your range come in 20" and 21"... same resolution, but the 21's cost 50-100% more for that extra inch.

Yup. At the time I bought the EIZO 21", I would have been satisfied with a 20". But that was coz at that time the plebs were buying only 17". Now they are buying 19", so how can I, the big pro that I am..., go and buy only a 20"...? :)

Hose said:
All of the UXGAs should be quite good, except Samsung 204B... it's not bad, but it does have a TN panel.
Yes, I have seen the warnings about that one.

Thanks,

avi_m

avim

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
>> If you're going to go the 21" UXGA route, there are not many choices... NEC 2190, Samsung 214T, Planar PX212M... all are excellent!

Well...the Samsung 214T is expensive - not quite so as my EIZO - but pretty expensive.

I was hoping by now I could go the "value" route and still get a good large screen.

Just loloked at the matrix. Well...now I know what TN is. Don't knwo what the others are. So what type are teh screens you quoted to me? Or my EIZO S2100?

>> There are few (if any) "professional 22" LCDs
Powerful words. I am nor sure if I grasp your full intent.
I HAVE noticed all the 22" ones are "wide" ....

tnx

avraham

Hose

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
".. I was hoping by now I could go the "value" route and still get a good large screen... So what type are teh screens you quoted to me? Or my EIZO S2100?

>> There are few (if any) "professional 22" LCDs
Powerful words. I am nor sure if I grasp your full intent.
I HAVE noticed all the 22" ones are "wide" ....

tnx

avraham

All of the 21", UXGA screens are fairly expensive. The best value would probably be Planar. They make quality stuff, including a line of medical monitors.

The Samsung 214T has an S-PVA panel. The NECs have one with S-IPS and at least one other with PVA/SPVA... the Eizo has SPVA, too. Don't know for sure about the Planar, but it's specs read like it's SIPS.

Professional/enterprise class monitors have higher quality panels. Gamer screens have TN panels... they are less costly, less good at color fidelity (but apparently getting better) and have lesser viewing angles...BUT, have faster response times to reduce motion blur.

If your PRIMARY concern is speed or price and you're willing to accept its shortcomings, TN is the best choice. If your primary concerns are color fidelity, text contrast, and viewing angle, then you'll want to avoid TN.

All of the 22" are widescreen, and I believe I'm safe in saying that ALL of the 22's also have TN panels... not really fit for professional work.

avim

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
>> Need very good text. And it should work well with ClearType.

At one of my clients they are buying ViewSonics 19" VA903m for their workers.

I put it through its paces. I saw that ClearType smoothing doesn't work well with it. I found that standard smoothing makes their text look the best. When I tried ClearType I found that it makes the text look bad - worse than no smoothing at all. Off hand, I would say the more expensive monitors make the best use of ClearType. My EIZO I am using now looks fabulous. Like printed text. Even with VGA input. However, I have seen a VP171b Viewsonic 17", that does look good with ClearType. but that was an older "non-wide" type.

Some LCDs seem not built/optimised for ClearType. That VA903m does not take DVI, only VGA. Maybe ClearType needs to have DVI i/p? But I am not sure if there is a connection.

tnx

avi_m

Hose

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
"... Some LCDs seem not built/optimised for ClearType. That VA903m does not take DVI, only VGA. Maybe ClearType needs to have DVI i/p? But I am not sure if there is a connection.

tnx

avi_m

I don't think there is a connection. It is known that *some* VGA produces a marginal display. But if the VGA is good, it's just as good as DVI.

My workstation video cards can do VGA and DVI... I've tried both. The displays are the same. Clear Type is good on both.

avim

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
mmmm...and what screen do you have...?

I can half see myself ending up going back to the Eizo guy and buying another S2100. I has already offered me abiout a 10% reduction on my this my second one.