Re-Activation of OEM Windows XP Home Edition

I have replaced my m/b and cpu in my Systemax due to failure of original
hardware. I didn't replace them with OEM hardware, now I find out that I am
unable to reactivate Windows XP, I contacted tech support for Systemax and
they say I have to purchase a new product ID or buy another copy of XP.

Is there any way of obtaining a new product id code from microsoft without
having to purchase one so that I can reactivate my XP? I have the original
cd that came with the computer and everything is legal on my computer so I'm
not afraid of Microsoft verifying all the software is legal if they need too.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If following Systemax'
suggestion, how do I go about purchasing a new product ID code without
actually purchasing the whole software?

Please post replies here or email me at jimstiles (at) nwcinternet.com

Thanks for any help.

A license for OEM version of Windows XP is tied to the
original computer hardware configuration. Since you made
significant changes, the license is no longer valid. You'll
need to purchase a new "Full Version" of Windows XP.
Microsoft does not offer new licenses for OEM versions.

Example:

Microsoft Windows XP HOME Edition With Service Pack 2 - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837102151

Changing a Motherboard or Moving a Hard Drive with XP Installed
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Jim Stiles" wrote:

| I have replaced my m/b and cpu in my Systemax due to failure of original
| hardware. I didn't replace them with OEM hardware, now I find out that I am
| unable to reactivate Windows XP, I contacted tech support for Systemax and
| they say I have to purchase a new product ID or buy another copy of XP.
|
| Is there any way of obtaining a new product id code from microsoft without
| having to purchase one so that I can reactivate my XP? I have the original
| cd that came with the computer and everything is legal on my computer so I'm
| not afraid of Microsoft verifying all the software is legal if they need too.
|
| Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If following Systemax'
| suggestion, how do I go about purchasing a new product ID code without
| actually purchasing the whole software?
|
| Please post replies here or email me at jimstiles (at) nwcinternet.com
|
| Thanks for any help.

If I understand you correctly, if I purchase a System that does not come with
a WinXP CD and I upgrade the system, XP is no longer? Didn't I pay for XP in
the price of the system? This appears to me to be very poor business from the
dealer and MS. Is this stated in the EULA? I'm glad I built my system. My
wife is in a different situation though. I guess that ends the thought of
upgrading hers. :(

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> A license for OEM version of Windows XP is tied to the
> original computer hardware configuration. Since you made
> significant changes, the license is no longer valid. You'll
> need to purchase a new "Full Version" of Windows XP.
> Microsoft does not offer new licenses for OEM versions.
>
> Example:
>
> Microsoft Windows XP HOME Edition With Service Pack 2 - OEM
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837102151
>
> Changing a Motherboard or Moving a Hard Drive with XP Installed
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Jim Stiles" wrote:
>
> | I have replaced my m/b and cpu in my Systemax due to failure of original
> | hardware. I didn't replace them with OEM hardware, now I find out that I am
> | unable to reactivate Windows XP, I contacted tech support for Systemax and
> | they say I have to purchase a new product ID or buy another copy of XP.
> |
> | Is there any way of obtaining a new product id code from microsoft without
> | having to purchase one so that I can reactivate my XP? I have the original
> | cd that came with the computer and everything is legal on my computer so I'm
> | not afraid of Microsoft verifying all the software is legal if they need too.
> |
> | Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If following Systemax'
> | suggestion, how do I go about purchasing a new product ID code without
> | actually purchasing the whole software?
> |
> | Please post replies here or email me at jimstiles (at) nwcinternet.com
> |
> | Thanks for any help.

Jim;
You can't purchase just a Product Key for your OEM Windows XP.
You seem to have two choices.
Buy Windows XP retail or OEM.
Buy the motherboard directly from the motherboard manufacturer which will
enable you to use your current CD.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Jim Stiles" <Jim Stiles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have replaced my m/b and cpu in my Systemax due to failure of original
> hardware. I didn't replace them with OEM hardware, now I find out that I
> am
> unable to reactivate Windows XP, I contacted tech support for Systemax and
> they say I have to purchase a new product ID or buy another copy of XP.
>
> Is there any way of obtaining a new product id code from microsoft without
> having to purchase one so that I can reactivate my XP? I have the
> original
> cd that came with the computer and everything is legal on my computer so
> I'm
> not afraid of Microsoft verifying all the software is legal if they need
> too.
>
> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If following Systemax'
> suggestion, how do I go about purchasing a new product ID code without
> actually purchasing the whole software?
>
> Please post replies here or email me at jimstiles (at) nwcinternet.com
>
> Thanks for any help.

Even if it comes with a Windows XP CD the problem may be the same.
You did not pay for Windows XP, nor did you really pay for a computer.
You paid for a computer system and Windows XP is part of that system.
Often the OEMs tie their OS to the system.

Yes it is stated in the EULA.
This can be an OK system for some, but terrible for others.
As long as buyers accept it, the OEMs will continue to use this method.
Microsoft gives dealers several options, but this option is often the
cheapest and as long as buyers look primarily at price with everything else
secondary, this practice will continue.

--

"JustUs" <JustUs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If I understand you correctly, if I purchase a System that does not come
> with
> a WinXP CD and I upgrade the system, XP is no longer? Didn't I pay for XP
> in
> the price of the system? This appears to me to be very poor business from
> the
> dealer and MS. Is this stated in the EULA? I'm glad I built my system. My
> wife is in a different situation though. I guess that ends the thought of
> upgrading hers. :(
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> A license for OEM version of Windows XP is tied to the
>> original computer hardware configuration. Since you made
>> significant changes, the license is no longer valid. You'll
>> need to purchase a new "Full Version" of Windows XP.
>> Microsoft does not offer new licenses for OEM versions.
>>
>> Example:
>>
>> Microsoft Windows XP HOME Edition With Service Pack 2 - OEM
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837102151
>>
>> Changing a Motherboard or Moving a Hard Drive with XP Installed
>> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>> Microsoft Newsgroups

>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

>> "Jim Stiles" wrote:
>>
>> | I have replaced my m/b and cpu in my Systemax due to failure of
>> original
>> | hardware. I didn't replace them with OEM hardware, now I find out that
>> I am
>> | unable to reactivate Windows XP, I contacted tech support for Systemax
>> and
>> | they say I have to purchase a new product ID or buy another copy of XP.
>> |
>> | Is there any way of obtaining a new product id code from microsoft
>> without
>> | having to purchase one so that I can reactivate my XP? I have the
>> original
>> | cd that came with the computer and everything is legal on my computer
>> so I'm
>> | not afraid of Microsoft verifying all the software is legal if they
>> need too.
>> |
>> | Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If following Systemax'
>> | suggestion, how do I go about purchasing a new product ID code without
>> | actually purchasing the whole software?
>> |
>> | Please post replies here or email me at jimstiles (at) nwcinternet.com
>> |
>> | Thanks for any help.

Your issue is with the company that sold you the computer.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

> [...]

>I have replaced my m/b and cpu in my Systemax due to failure of original
>hardware. I didn't replace them with OEM hardware, now I find out that I am
>unable to reactivate Windows XP, I contacted tech support for Systemax and
>they say I have to purchase a new product ID or buy another copy of XP.
>
>Is there any way of obtaining a new product id code from microsoft without
>having to purchase one so that I can reactivate my XP? I have the original
>cd that came with the computer and everything is legal on my computer so I'm
>not afraid of Microsoft verifying all the software is legal if they need too.
>
>Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If following Systemax'
>suggestion, how do I go about purchasing a new product ID code without
>actually purchasing the whole software?
>
>Please post replies here or email me at jimstiles (at) nwcinternet.com

You have been caught in the OEM activation trap.

Under the new procedures initiated by Microsoft as of 1 March 2005 for
the activation of "BIOS Locked" OEM versions of Windows XP these
licenses are only usable on hardware (read Motherboard BIOS type and
version) from the same computer manufacturer/assembler.

So if the motherboard fails, or if you just want to upgrade to a newer
motherboard and CPU for better performance you *must* get the new
motherboard from the same manufacturer/assembler that provided the
original computer. Otherwise your Windows XP will not activate, as
you have discovered the hard way.

I am not sure what, if anything. Microsoft will do with respect to
OEMs shipping BIOS Locked Windows XP versions who subsequently go
bankrupt, and motherboard replacements for those systems. I believe
that there has been at least one such instance already.

Your only way out at this point would be to:

1. Purchase a new motherboard from Systemax that will accept your new
CPU, and use it.

or

2. Purchase a new copy of Windows XP and install it on your existing
new motherboard. Your lowest cost purchase would be to get a generic
OEM version from either a local dealer (they will sometimes sell them
with a minor piece of hardware) or on eBay.

Note that these changes, at this point anyway, apply only to BIOS
Locked OEM versions which will always be on either a System Recovery
Disk/Partition or an installation CD with the computer manufacturer's
name on it.

Generic OEM versions that bear only the Microsoft name and logo can
still be activated again on different hardware, at least for now.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Richard Urban [MVP] wrote:
> Your issue is with the company that sold you the computer.

It is with MS, as the company is only following MS's BS rules for OEMs.

--
Peace!
Kurt

Jim Stiles wrote:
> I have replaced my m/b and cpu in my Systemax due to failure of
> original hardware. I didn't replace them with OEM hardware, now I
> find out that I am unable to reactivate Windows XP, I contacted tech
> support for Systemax and they say I have to purchase a new product ID
> or buy another copy of XP.
>
> Is there any way of obtaining a new product id code from microsoft
> without having to purchase one so that I can reactivate my XP? I
> have the original cd that came with the computer and everything is
> legal on my computer so I'm not afraid of Microsoft verifying all the
> software is legal if they need too.
>
> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If following Systemax'
> suggestion, how do I go about purchasing a new product ID code without
> actually purchasing the whole software?
>
> Please post replies here or email me at jimstiles (at) nwcinternet.com
>
> Thanks for any help.

3 ways to deal with this so that you can use your copy of XP, but not
all are good ones.

1.) Download a crack.

2.) Call both MS and emachines back, record the conversations & get a
lawyer.

3.) Try phone activation,
http://www.microscum.com/mmpafaq/phonewpa.html, and tell the MS phone
rep that you used a slipstreamed SP2 OEM CD to reinstall XP on your
computer. If asked why you needed to reinstall, the reason for your
reinstalled was you upgraded components, but under no circumstances say
you upgraded the motherboard.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommuni ty
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Thanks for all the responses, I'm waiting for replies from Systemax and
Microsoft now. I found out Systemax will upgrade it but I have to foot the
bill for shipping both ways plus pay for labor. I'm hoping they will just let
me purchase a M/B that will match the cpu I bought and let me install it but
not sure if they will or not. Otherwise, I'll probably just get a new full
version off ebay and go from there.

Thanks again for all the replies and suggestions, I may try a few of them
first, can't hurt since it won't activate now.

"Jim Stiles" wrote:

> I have replaced my m/b and cpu in my Systemax due to failure of original
> hardware. I didn't replace them with OEM hardware, now I find out that I am
> unable to reactivate Windows XP, I contacted tech support for Systemax and
> they say I have to purchase a new product ID or buy another copy of XP.
>
> Is there any way of obtaining a new product id code from microsoft without
> having to purchase one so that I can reactivate my XP? I have the original
> cd that came with the computer and everything is legal on my computer so I'm
> not afraid of Microsoft verifying all the software is legal if they need too.
>
> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If following Systemax'
> suggestion, how do I go about purchasing a new product ID code without
> actually purchasing the whole software?
>
> Please post replies here or email me at jimstiles (at) nwcinternet.com
>
> Thanks for any help.

On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 20:01:01 -0700, "Jim Stiles" <Jim
Stiles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have replaced my m/b and cpu in my Systemax due to failure of original
>hardware. I didn't replace them with OEM hardware, now I find out that I am
>unable to reactivate Windows XP, I contacted tech support for Systemax and
>they say I have to purchase a new product ID or buy another copy of XP.
>
>Is there any way of obtaining a new product id code from microsoft without
>having to purchase one so that I can reactivate my XP? I have the original
>cd that came with the computer and everything is legal on my computer so I'm
>not afraid of Microsoft verifying all the software is legal if they need too.
>
>Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If following Systemax'
>suggestion, how do I go about purchasing a new product ID code without
>actually purchasing the whole software?
>
>Please post replies here or email me at jimstiles (at) nwcinternet.com
>
>Thanks for any help.

There is no need to buy another xp operating system.
Like others have said.

Try changing your key first. Here how.

Section One
If not activated got to section 2.

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current
Version\WPAEvents

In the right pane, right-click OOBETimer, and then click Modify.

Change at least one digit of first line value to deactivate Windows.

If doing this from safe mode, reboot normally here.

Section two

Run %systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a

Use the key on the back of your machine.

Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to
activate Windows, and then click Next. Click Change Product key.
Type the product key in the New key boxes, and then click Update. If
another Screen pops up-Click Remind me latter. Reboot. Then activate
by the Internet. If that does don't work. Call them by the phone and
just tell them you replace hardware. Just don't tell them you replace
the Motherboard or bios. Even through Microsoft has said you can
replace any hardware and you should still be able to activate by
phone. Reboot after you get it activated.

Greg Ro

JustUs wrote:
> If I understand you correctly, if I purchase a System that does not come with
> a WinXP CD and I upgrade the system, XP is no longer? Didn't I pay for XP in
> the price of the system?

Well, to be strictly accurate, what you paid for was an OEM license.
In simple terms, you paid for permission to use that specific copy of
WinXP on (and *only* on) that one specific computer, and only for the
life of that one computer. This is partially why OEM licenses are less
expensive than retail licenses.

> Is this stated in the EULA?

Not explicitly; for that matter, it's not even hinted at. According to
the EULA, an OEM license may not be transferred from one distinct PC to
another PC. Nothing is said about prohibiting one from repairing or
upgrading the PC on which an OEM license is installed.

Now, some people believe that the motherboard is the key component
that defines the "original computer," but the OEM EULA does not make any
such distinction. Others have said that one could successfully argue
that it's the PC's case that is the deciding component, as that is where
one is instructed to affix the OEM CoA label w/Product Key. Again, the
EULA does not specifically define any single component as the computer.
Licensed Microsoft Systems Builders, who are allowed to distribute OEM
licenses with computers they sell, are contractually obligated to
"define" the computer as the motherboard, but this limitation/definition
can't be applied to the end user until the EULA is re-written. This is
the catch that has caught the OP: the computer manufacturer has to treat
the repaired/upgraded computer as a different computer. Had the OP
obtained the replacement motherboard from the original manufacturer,
this issue wouldn't have arisen.

Microsoft has, to date, been very careful _not_ publicly to define
when an incrementally upgraded computer ceases to be the original
computer. The closest I've ever seen a Microsoft employee come to this
definition (in a public forum) is to tell the person making the inquiry
to consult the PC's manufacturer. As the OEM license's support is
solely the responsibility of said manufacturer, they should determine
what sort of hardware changes to allow before the warranty and support
agreements are voided. To paraphrase: An incrementally upgraded
computer ceases to be the original computer, as pertains to the OEM
EULA, only when the *OEM* says it's a different computer. If you've
built the system yourself, and used a generic OEM CD, then _you_ are the
"OEM," and _you_ get to decide when you'll no longer support your product.

> I'm glad I built my system. My wife is in a different situation though.
> I guess that ends the thought of
> upgrading hers. :(

Maybe, maybe not. What specific type of OEM installation CD
accompanied her computer? If it's a branded, BIOS-locked installation
or recovery CD, than you're probably correct. If, however, it's one of
the generic OEM installation CDs that small shops usually distribute,
you should be able to upgrade to your heart's content.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

There's 2 types of XP install CDs that may be referred to as OEM.

The first is the type that comes with a manufactured PC. It is tied to that
specific PC. That's what you have. Once that PC is modified to the point a
reactivation is required, it has gone beyond the PC's original design and
therefore, not qualified to reactivation.. Many are bios oriented in making
this determination..

The second type is one that is purchased with hardware internal to the PC.
Examples are a motherboard or a hard drive. The purchase of this type of
OEM software is tied to the hardware purchase, but the activation and
reactivation of XP is not tied to the hardware installation changes in that
you can literally build another PC and install this on it. As long as you
have no other copies installed elsewhere

If you build or fabricate a PC from another PC case which is a brand name
PC, either get the 2nd example of OEM, or the retail version of XP.
Changing to another maker's motherboard is a prime example of this.

"Jim Stiles" <Jim Stiles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have replaced my m/b and cpu in my Systemax due to failure of original
> hardware. I didn't replace them with OEM hardware, now I find out that I
am
> unable to reactivate Windows XP, I contacted tech support for Systemax and
> they say I have to purchase a new product ID or buy another copy of XP.
>
> Is there any way of obtaining a new product id code from microsoft without
> having to purchase one so that I can reactivate my XP? I have the
original
> cd that came with the computer and everything is legal on my computer so
I'm
> not afraid of Microsoft verifying all the software is legal if they need
too.

> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If following Systemax'
> suggestion, how do I go about purchasing a new product ID code without
> actually purchasing the whole software?
>
> Please post replies here or email me at jimstiles (at) nwcinternet.com
>
> Thanks for any help.

Jim
Save your money and see my previous post about changing a key.
Try this first.

Greg

>On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 08:49:03 -0700, "Jim Stiles" <Jim Stiles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thanks for all the responses, I'm waiting for replies from Systemax and
>Microsoft now. I found out Systemax will upgrade it but I have to foot the
>bill for shipping both ways plus pay for labor. I'm hoping they will just let
>me purchase a M/B that will match the cpu I bought and let me install it but
>not sure if they will or not. Otherwise, I'll probably just get a new full
>version off ebay and go from there.
>
>Thanks again for all the replies and suggestions, I may try a few of them
>first, can't hurt since it won't activate now.
>

>"Jim Stiles" wrote:
>
>> I have replaced my m/b and cpu in my Systemax due to failure of original
>> hardware. I didn't replace them with OEM hardware, now I find out that I am
>> unable to reactivate Windows XP, I contacted tech support for Systemax and
>> they say I have to purchase a new product ID or buy another copy of XP.
>>
>> Is there any way of obtaining a new product id code from microsoft without
>> having to purchase one so that I can reactivate my XP? I have the original
>> cd that came with the computer and everything is legal on my computer so I'm
>> not afraid of Microsoft verifying all the software is legal if they need too.
>>
>> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If following Systemax'
>> suggestion, how do I go about purchasing a new product ID code without
>> actually purchasing the whole software?
>>
>> Please post replies here or email me at jimstiles (at) nwcinternet.com
>>
>> Thanks for any help.

I'm fixing to try your suggestion right now, not sure if I can get to the
areas where you said to go to or not. Right now, I can only get to login
screen. It won't let me past this point without doing the reactivation
procedure. Will give it a try though.

Thanks

Jim Stiles wrote:
> I have replaced my m/b and cpu in my Systemax due to failure of original
> hardware. I didn't replace them with OEM hardware, now I find out that I am
> unable to reactivate Windows XP, I contacted tech support for Systemax and
> they say I have to purchase a new product ID or buy another copy of XP.
>
> Is there any way of obtaining a new product id code from microsoft without
> having to purchase one so that I can reactivate my XP? I have the original
> cd that came with the computer and everything is legal on my computer so I'm
> not afraid of Microsoft verifying all the software is legal if they need too.
>
> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If following Systemax'
> suggestion, how do I go about purchasing a new product ID code without
> actually purchasing the whole software?
>
> Please post replies here or email me at jimstiles (at) nwcinternet.com
>
> Thanks for any help.

Try phoning the Microsoft activation hotline and claiming that your hard
drive crashed if they ask you any questions. Don't tell them about your
motherboard as it's really none of their business.

Greg,

I'm trying to give your idea a try but I can only get to the welcome screen
where the uers login button is. When I click on it, the reactivation window
comes up asking if I want to do it or not, if I click Yes, it takes me to the
process, if I click No, it goes back to the users login button and the same
thing happens. How can I get to the 'Run' icon to enter in the statement you
provided?

Thanks

Jim

"Greg Ro" wrote:

> Jim
> Save your money and see my previous post about changing a key.
> Try this first.
>
> Greg
>
> >On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 08:49:03 -0700, "Jim Stiles" <Jim Stiles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Thanks for all the responses, I'm waiting for replies from Systemax and
> >Microsoft now. I found out Systemax will upgrade it but I have to foot the
> >bill for shipping both ways plus pay for labor. I'm hoping they will just let
> >me purchase a M/B that will match the cpu I bought and let me install it but
> >not sure if they will or not. Otherwise, I'll probably just get a new full
> >version off ebay and go from there.
> >
> >Thanks again for all the replies and suggestions, I may try a few of them
> >first, can't hurt since it won't activate now.
> >

> >"Jim Stiles" wrote:
> >
> >> I have replaced my m/b and cpu in my Systemax due to failure of original
> >> hardware. I didn't replace them with OEM hardware, now I find out that I am
> >> unable to reactivate Windows XP, I contacted tech support for Systemax and
> >> they say I have to purchase a new product ID or buy another copy of XP.
> >>
> >> Is there any way of obtaining a new product id code from microsoft without
> >> having to purchase one so that I can reactivate my XP? I have the original
> >> cd that came with the computer and everything is legal on my computer so I'm
> >> not afraid of Microsoft verifying all the software is legal if they need too.
> >>
> >> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If following Systemax'
> >> suggestion, how do I go about purchasing a new product ID code without
> >> actually purchasing the whole software?
> >>
> >> Please post replies here or email me at jimstiles (at) nwcinternet.com
> >>
> >> Thanks for any help.

I am certain the manufacturing company that made the computer would be happy
to supply a retail copy of Windows XP with their computers. Do you think the
customers will pay more that $399.95 to buy said computer? Would the
customer pay the extra cost that must be passed along?

--

> Richard Urban [MVP] wrote:
>> Your issue is with the company that sold you the computer.
>
> It is with MS, as the company is only following MS's BS rules for OEMs.
>
> --
> Peace!
> Kurt
> Self-anointed Moderator
> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

That is the screen you want. It should give you a choice of how you
want to activate it. Say yes. Chose the phone opitiion. If it does
not give you the phone option see my other idea below.

Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to
activate Windows, and then click Next. Click Change Product key.
Type the product key in the New key boxes, and then click Update. If
another Screen pops up-Click Remind me latter. Reboot. Then activate
by the Internet. If that does don't work. Call them by the phone and
just tell them you replace hardware. Just don't tell them you replace
the Motherboard or bios.

===Other Idea==

From safe mode f8 twice.

Run-Regedit

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current
Version\WPAEvents

In the right pane, right-click OOBETimer, and then click Modify.

Change at least one digit of first line value to re-deactivate
Windows.

reboot normally here.

Then do my key change above.

Greg R

Richard Urban [MVP] wrote:
> I am certain the manufacturing company that made the computer would
> be happy to supply a retail copy of Windows XP with their computers.
> Do you think the customers will pay more that $399.95 to buy said
> computer? Would the customer pay the extra cost that must be passed
> along?

Windows XP is overpriced as an OEM product. Thanks to a lack of
competition, and the Bush Justice Department's capitulation to MS.

--

Jim Stiles wrote:
> Greg,
>
> I'm trying to give your idea a try but I can only get to the welcome
> screen where the uers login button is. When I click on it, the
> reactivation window comes up asking if I want to do it or not, if I
> click Yes, it takes me to the process, if I click No, it goes back to
> the users login button and the same thing happens. How can I get to
> the 'Run' icon to enter in the statement you provided?

Have you tried phone activation?

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

That company is following Microsoft's rules for Microsoft licensing.
But you have again forgotten that Microsoft has given options.
It can seem to be only Microsoft's fault, but then you must first ignore the
choice the OEM made.
The OEM has chosen the cheapest option largely because many buyers shop
mostly on price often ignoring other items.
Local dealers can usually provide the better options but usually at a higher
price.

Microsoft's fault is mostly limited to not helping the consumer find
information on the differences and what the pros and cons of each may be.
There is no fault in Microsoft providing the cheap option.

Or would you have Microsoft mandate OEMs and others stop providing the
cheaper options?

--

Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:
> That company is following Microsoft's rules for Microsoft licensing.
> But you have again forgotten that Microsoft has given options.
> It can seem to be only Microsoft's fault, but then you must first
> ignore the choice the OEM made.
> The OEM has chosen the cheapest option largely because many buyers
> shop mostly on price often ignoring other items.
> Local dealers can usually provide the better options but usually at a
> higher price.
>
> Microsoft's fault is mostly limited to not helping the consumer find
> information on the differences and what the pros and cons of each may
> be. There is no fault in Microsoft providing the cheap option.
>
> Or would you have Microsoft mandate OEMs and others stop providing the
> cheaper options?

Actually from what I've heard from small OEMs, MS is pressuring them not
to provide install disks. MS is not blameless. MS could come up with a
policy that OEMs provide install CDs with every OS sold, and what would
that really cost the OEM? $.05, maybe at most $.25 per CD?

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Phisherman

Last week I purchased an OEM version of Windows XP Home (along with a
computer Antec case) from Zipzoomfly. How possibly can this licence
be "tied to the original computer hardware configuration?" Since
installation, I've added a Zip drive, floppy, memory, and a secondary
hard drive. Although this might be significant changes, there was no
complaint from Windows XP.

On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 22:12:16 -0500, "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
<cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote:

>A license for OEM version of Windows XP is tied to the
>original computer hardware configuration. Since you made
>significant changes, the license is no longer valid. You'll
>need to purchase a new "Full Version" of Windows XP.
>Microsoft does not offer new licenses for OEM versions.
>
>Example:
>
>Microsoft Windows XP HOME Edition With Service Pack 2 - OEM
>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837102151
>
>Changing a Motherboard or Moving a Hard Drive with XP Installed
>http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

There were insufficient changes to trigger activation so there would be "no
complaint from Windows XP".
Upgrading the computer does not change the fact it is still the same
computer especially since your changes are minor.

Read your specific EULA.

Also see:
http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm