dd_viper

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2004
ok i actually got 2 questions for u guys.

first, whenever i try to run benchies or anything with any program on my ram it gets a blue screen error and at the bottom says phyiscal memory dump......

second, i dont believe i can run dual channel on my mobo (IBM modded i865g) but im not sure. how do i check this? and if i got two ballistix of mem and tried to run them in dual channel with a non dual channel compliant mobo what would happen?

2.8b (533 FSB)
6800nu

"Freeze, your under arrest for the murder of Moe Sislack and Apu Nahasapasa...OK nevermind, just moe, just moe."

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
First thing, I find it hard to believe IBM would pay extra for the i865 and disable dual-channel, since there's an identicle chipset with dual-channel disabled that cost less (the 848).

Second, I'm not sure what ratios are available, but I believe the fastest your board will run the memory with a 533 bus P4 is at PC2700 speed, so you don't need top quality PC3200 to get there.

Having said that, Ballistix PC3200 would be ideal if you have a future CPU upgrade in mind and are simply trying to upgrade the RAM first.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

dd_viper

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2004
i do plan on upgrading to a nforce4 board and a64 cpu by the end of 05 and am trying to upgrade part by part so i dont have a 1000 bill at the end of the month. i have 2 ram chips in the 1st and 3rd slot, both being pc2700 ram, and under cpuz it says single channel. although my cas latencies are lower than i thought they still run performance mode under single channel. i would like to get 2 bllistix memory modules so i can have a great system running by the end of 05

"Freeze, your under arrest for the murder of Moe Sislack and Apu Nahasapasa...OK nevermind, just moe, just moe."