Pick Up the Phone Booth and Die

I just won.

I've played it before, as we all probably have. You run the game, you
pick up the phone booth, you die. I don't feel the need to include a
bunch of "spoiler space" here to prevent the uninitiated from finding
out what the title essentially gives away.

I didn't realize there was more to do, and that you could, in fact, win
the game. It's not a "complex" game, of course, but for me it's like
stumbling across a hidden closet in Zork that you've never seen before.
There's nothing particularly interesting about it. Its just... there...
and I never noticed before.

This is a rather pathetic excuse for an epiphany, I know, but I suspect
I'm not the only one who thought the game unwinnable. I thought perhaps
mentioning this might give someone else an excuse to waste 30 seconds
figuring out how to "win".

If I _am_ the only person, well, then... I've made a dork of myself in
front of the entire Internet, and the only consolation I can offer is
that this probably isn't the last time.

Warm regards,
Brandon

On 27 Feb 2005 20:56:48 -0800, "Brandon Roberson"
<broberson@gmail.com> wrote:

>I just won.
>
>I've played it before, as we all probably have. You run the game, you
>pick up the phone booth, you die. I don't feel the need to include a
>bunch of "spoiler space" here to prevent the uninitiated from finding
>out what the title essentially gives away.
>
>I didn't realize there was more to do, and that you could, in fact, win
>the game. It's not a "complex" game, of course, but for me it's like
>stumbling across a hidden closet in Zork that you've never seen before.
>There's nothing particularly interesting about it. Its just... there...
>and I never noticed before.
>
>This is a rather pathetic excuse for an epiphany, I know, but I suspect
>I'm not the only one who thought the game unwinnable. I thought perhaps
>mentioning this might give someone else an excuse to waste 30 seconds
>figuring out how to "win".
>
>If I _am_ the only person, well, then... I've made a dork of myself in
>front of the entire Internet, and the only consolation I can offer is
>that this probably isn't the last time.
>
>Warm regards,
>Brandon
What I would like to know is, are any of the annoyotrons winnable?

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 08:07:40 GMT, Boluc Papuccuoglu wrote:

> What I would like to know is, are any of the annoyotrons winnable?

Certainly. Annoyotron 1 takes several hundred moves. Annoyotron 3 takes
only four. Annoyatron 4 takes a million.

Ross Presser wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 08:07:40 GMT, Boluc Papuccuoglu wrote:
>

>>What I would like to know is, are any of the annoyotrons winnable?
>

> Certainly. Annoyotron 1 takes several hundred moves.

It is? Am I missing something?

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 17:33:35 -0800, Michael Roy wrote:

> Ross Presser wrote:
>> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 08:07:40 GMT, Boluc Papuccuoglu wrote:
>>

>>>What I would like to know is, are any of the annoyotrons winnable?
>>

>> Certainly. Annoyotron 1 takes several hundred moves.
>
> It is? Am I missing something?

My mistake. It only takes one move. It just takes several hundred moves to
figure out what that move is. :)

Welcome to the Annoyomatic 2000! Guaranteed to raise your blood pressure
at least to a significantly unhealthy level. Enjoy!

Annoyotron
The Most Annoying Game of All Time
Release 1 / Serial number 990127 / Inform v6.20 Library 6/8 S

West End
You are at the western end of an impossibly long hallway. It looks to be
about the length of a 100-story building on its side.

A small brass key lies here, smug in its inanimacy.

>attack me
Yes, sweet release! The only winning move is...well, you know.

*** You have won ***

In that game you scored 0 out of a possible 0, in 1 turn.

Would you like to RESTART, RESTORE a saved game or QUIT?

Ross Presser wrote:

>>>Certainly. Annoyotron 1 takes several hundred moves.
>>
>>It is? Am I missing something?
>
> My mistake. It only takes one move. It just takes several hundred moves to
> figure out what that move is. :)

Ah :) I'd done the several hundred moves (with the aid of multi-command
input lines and copy/paste) but hadn't thought of the winning one. But
on the other hand I actually found it humorous.

Michael