Sign in with
Your question

Jammed slot-drive...

Last response: in Storage
October 30, 2004 9:34:55 PM

Hi,

Ive just got a new notebook and within 24 hours have managed to insert a second CD in the slot-drive without removing the first, and its now jammed. Any ideas anyone?

Many Thanks,
Andy

More about : jammed slot drive

November 3, 2004 4:03:25 PM

Yeah, send the computer back, tell them you don't want it anymore.

Seriously, you SHOULD be able to take the notebook apart and get at the CD. WARNING THIS WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY!!!

Other than that, take it to a local repair shop, see if they can extract the CDs.

XP2800+, Abit NF7, 1GB Dual-Channel DDR333, ATI R9800PRO 128MB, TT PurePower 420W, LG DVD+-R/RW
:redface: <font color=red>My wife says I suffer from premature ejaculation...I don't remember suffering<font color=red> :wink:
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
November 11, 2004 12:31:09 AM

How in the world did you manage to get another cd in????
You must have forced it into there pretty hard. If I try to put another cd in my slot loader I hit the first cd immediatly and instantly remember there is a disk in there.
Try to get the front bezel of the drive off and grab the cd out w/ a pair of needle nose pliers or tweesers.
There is a chance your cd drive will be broken because of this but at least you won't be mocked by the tech support if you need to rma it. You can just say it stopped working and not mention you crammed 2 disks in it :) 
What make/model of laptop is it just out of curiosity?

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>
November 11, 2004 5:24:40 PM

I havent seen a notebook with a slot load drive. What is the make of the notebook?

November 11, 2004 6:33:59 PM

obviously, he subscribes the the theory, if it dont fit, force it.

January 13, 2005 7:01:58 PM

lmfao, thats the resaon i never bought a slot load drive, i was too worried id forget about the disc in there, stick another one in and poof lol

A pair of pliers, blow torch, and some c4 should help u fix the problem =))
January 18, 2005 4:13:12 PM

Slot drives as well as tray optical drives have an emergency eject mechanism. If you do not have the tool, you can make one. Take a standard paper clip and straighten it out. Insert the clip into the emergency eject (should be above the drive slot ~ may differ depending on brand) and push until the cd/cd's eject. This is handy for ejecting cd's AFTER the system has been shutdown.

As a side note, one would have to use alot of pressure to force a 2nd cd in a slot drive. Still, this isn't as bad as what a former coworker did - she thought her 5 1/4 drive was a cd drive and used her foot to kick the disk in after pushing failed. As cruel irony has it, she got promoted and moved to another division. Lose-win situation.

<font color=green><b><i>Lizards</font color=green></b> do <b>not</b> taste like <b><font color=yellow>chicken</font color=yellow></b>,<b> <font color=yellow>chicken</font color=yellow></b> tastes like <font color=green><b>lizard.</b></font color=green></i>
January 19, 2005 3:01:36 PM

yeah thats true depends how jammed up the drive is tho, if its stuck that bad it still may not eject.

OMG she used her foot to force the disc in roflmao thats one of the funniest things i have ever heard.
January 19, 2005 4:39:59 PM

Sad, but true. It was so hard not to call her severely offending names when I had to 'fix' the situation. I've seen footprints around a computer, scuff marks on the sides and front; but this had full footprints on the upper front of the tower case.
Me: "Hey Luz, um, how did these footprints get here?"
Luz: "Um, I think they were there."
Me: "Corey says he saw you giving your pc a bootlift."
Luz: "Well, maybe, like, I can't really remember. Are you going to fix my computer or not?"
Me: "Sure, but can you get me a Kleenex, I need to wipe my eyes. Wish I had a camera."

<b><i>Powered by <font color=blue>V</font color=blue><font color=purple>E</font color=purple><font color=red>R</font color=red><font color=purple>T</font color=purple><font color=blue>O</font color=blue></b>
Sponsored by the makers of <A HREF="http://latviansonline.com/sprats/sprotes_title.gif" target="_new">Sprotes</A>
!