Where are files temporarily downloaded to?

When I download a file in XP, I can't open it until the download's complete.
In what temp directory is the file being saved, so that I can see the
progress through windows explorer?

Thanks.
6 answers Last reply
More about where files temporarily downloaded

    When you start a download a window will open that allows you to "choose"
    where you want to save the file. Press the browse button to open Explorer
    and pick a location. I suggest you create a "Download" folder and direct all
    downloads to this folder. Then you know where to find them.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner

    "angel monson" <angel_monson@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > When I download a file in XP, I can't open it until the download's
    > complete.
    > In what temp directory is the file being saved, so that I can see the
    > progress through windows explorer?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Hi Angel,

    The file is saved somewhere in the 'Temporary Internet Files' folder. You can monitor the progress
    of the download through IE anyways.

    --

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

    In memory of Alex Nichol

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "angel monson" <angel_monson@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > When I download a file in XP, I can't open it until the download's complete.
    > In what temp directory is the file being saved, so that I can see the
    > progress through windows explorer?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Yes, but *during* the download the file is not written to the destination
    but rather a temp folder. Usually the TIF's, but not necessarily. Once the
    download completes, the file is copied to the destination.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > When you start a download a window will open that allows you to "choose"
    > where you want to save the file. Press the browse button to open Explorer
    > and pick a location. I suggest you create a "Download" folder and direct
    > all downloads to this folder. Then you know where to find them.
    >

    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban
    > Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > Quote from: George Ankner
    >
    > "angel monson" <angel_monson@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> When I download a file in XP, I can't open it until the download's
    >> complete.
    >> In what temp directory is the file being saved, so that I can see the
    >> progress through windows explorer?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    Where can I find that folder? The temp file usually has a weird name (ie.
    QEDJXD2A) and once it's downloaded, it's copied to the folder I chose and
    the temp's erased.

    Thanks.

    > Yes, but *during* the download the file is not written to the destination
    > but rather a temp folder. Usually the TIF's, but not necessarily. Once the
    > download completes, the file is copied to the destination.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in
    message
    > > When you start a download a window will open that allows you to "choose"
    > > where you want to save the file. Press the browse button to open
    Explorer
    > > and pick a location. I suggest you create a "Download" folder and direct
    > > all downloads to this folder. Then you know where to find them.
    > >

    > > --
    > > Regards,
    > >
    > > Richard Urban
    > > Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
    > >
    > > Quote from: George Ankner
    > > "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
    > > You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
    > >
    > > "angel monson" <angel_monson@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > >> When I download a file in XP, I can't open it until the download's
    > >> complete.
    > >> In what temp directory is the file being saved, so that I can see the
    > >> progress through windows explorer?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks.

    Consider using Firefox, which has a downloads window which monitors file
    progress. With a broadband connection most times the download is
    complete before the download window even opens.

    or you could go get a snack from the frig while the file is
    downloading...

    Bill

    "angel monson" <angel_monson@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    When I download a file in XP, I can't open it until the download's
    complete.
    In what temp directory is the file being saved, so that I can see the
    progress through windows explorer?

    Thanks.

    Hi,

    There's no telling which of the randomly named temp folders is being used
    for any given download.

    --

    > Where can I find that folder? The temp file usually has a weird name (ie.
    > QEDJXD2A) and once it's downloaded, it's copied to the folder I chose and
    > the temp's erased.
    >

    > Thanks.

    >> Yes, but *during* the download the file is not written to the destination
    >> but rather a temp folder. Usually the TIF's, but not necessarily. Once
    >> the
    >> download completes, the file is copied to the destination.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in
    > message
    >> > When you start a download a window will open that allows you to
    >> > "choose"
    >> > where you want to save the file. Press the browse button to open
    > Explorer
    >> > and pick a location. I suggest you create a "Download" folder and
    >> > direct
    >> > all downloads to this folder. Then you know where to find them.
    >> >

    >> > --
    >> > Regards,
    >> >
    >> > Richard Urban
    >> > Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
    >> >
    >> > Quote from: George Ankner
    >> > "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
    >> > You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
    >> >
    >> > "angel monson" <angel_monson@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Download Windows Explorer Microsoft Windows XP