Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Where are files temporarily downloaded to?

Tags:
  • Download
  • Windows Explorer
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 4:34:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

When I download a file in XP, I can't open it until the download's complete.
In what temp directory is the file being saved, so that I can see the
progress through windows explorer?

Thanks.

More about : files temporarily downloaded

Anonymous
July 10, 2005 5:45:53 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

When you start a download a window will open that allows you to "choose"
where you want to save the file. Press the browse button to open Explorer
and pick a location. I suggest you create a "Download" folder and direct all
downloads to this folder. Then you know where to find them.


--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner
"If you knew as much as you thought you know,
You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"

"angel monson" <angel_monson@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o LGxDjQhFHA.1148@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> When I download a file in XP, I can't open it until the download's
> complete.
> In what temp directory is the file being saved, so that I can see the
> progress through windows explorer?
>
> Thanks.
>
>
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 5:52:38 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi Angel,

The file is saved somewhere in the 'Temporary Internet Files' folder. You can monitor the progress
of the download through IE anyways.

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
http://www.mvps.org

In memory of Alex Nichol
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect


"angel monson" <angel_monson@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o LGxDjQhFHA.1148@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> When I download a file in XP, I can't open it until the download's complete.
> In what temp directory is the file being saved, so that I can see the
> progress through windows explorer?
>
> Thanks.
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 11:52:18 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Yes, but *during* the download the file is not written to the destination
but rather a temp folder. Usually the TIF's, but not necessarily. Once the
download completes, the file is copied to the destination.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:e$k3nKRhFHA.2484@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> When you start a download a window will open that allows you to "choose"
> where you want to save the file. Press the browse button to open Explorer
> and pick a location. I suggest you create a "Download" folder and direct
> all downloads to this folder. Then you know where to find them.
>
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from: George Ankner
> "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
>
> "angel monson" <angel_monson@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:o LGxDjQhFHA.1148@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> When I download a file in XP, I can't open it until the download's
>> complete.
>> In what temp directory is the file being saved, so that I can see the
>> progress through windows explorer?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 7:03:25 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Where can I find that folder? The temp file usually has a weird name (ie.
QEDJXD2A) and once it's downloaded, it's copied to the folder I chose and
the temp's erased.


Thanks.


"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:el41VXUhFHA.2156@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Yes, but *during* the download the file is not written to the destination
> but rather a temp folder. Usually the TIF's, but not necessarily. Once the
> download completes, the file is copied to the destination.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,
>
> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in
message
> news:e$k3nKRhFHA.2484@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> > When you start a download a window will open that allows you to "choose"
> > where you want to save the file. Press the browse button to open
Explorer
> > and pick a location. I suggest you create a "Download" folder and direct
> > all downloads to this folder. Then you know where to find them.
> >
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Richard Urban
> > Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
> >
> > Quote from: George Ankner
> > "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
> > You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
> >
> > "angel monson" <angel_monson@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > news:o LGxDjQhFHA.1148@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> >> When I download a file in XP, I can't open it until the download's
> >> complete.
> >> In what temp directory is the file being saved, so that I can see the
> >> progress through windows explorer?
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >>
> >>
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 7:19:41 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Consider using Firefox, which has a downloads window which monitors file
progress. With a broadband connection most times the download is
complete before the download window even opens.

or you could go get a snack from the frig while the file is
downloading...

Bill

"angel monson" <angel_monson@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o LGxDjQhFHA.1148@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
When I download a file in XP, I can't open it until the download's
complete.
In what temp directory is the file being saved, so that I can see the
progress through windows explorer?

Thanks.
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 3:06:04 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi,

There's no telling which of the randomly named temp folders is being used
for any given download.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"angel monson" <angel_monson@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:eRKq0IYhFHA.2840@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Where can I find that folder? The temp file usually has a weird name (ie.
> QEDJXD2A) and once it's downloaded, it's copied to the folder I chose and
> the temp's erased.
>
>
> Thanks.
>
>
> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
> news:el41VXUhFHA.2156@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> Yes, but *during* the download the file is not written to the destination
>> but rather a temp folder. Usually the TIF's, but not necessarily. Once
>> the
>> download completes, the file is copied to the destination.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,
>>
>> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
>> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in
> message
>> news:e$k3nKRhFHA.2484@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> > When you start a download a window will open that allows you to
>> > "choose"
>> > where you want to save the file. Press the browse button to open
> Explorer
>> > and pick a location. I suggest you create a "Download" folder and
>> > direct
>> > all downloads to this folder. Then you know where to find them.
>> >
>> >
>> > --
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > Richard Urban
>> > Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>> >
>> > Quote from: George Ankner
>> > "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>> > You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
>> >
>> > "angel monson" <angel_monson@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> > news:o LGxDjQhFHA.1148@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> >> When I download a file in XP, I can't open it until the download's
>> >> complete.
>> >> In what temp directory is the file being saved, so that I can see the
>> >> progress through windows explorer?
>> >>
>> >> Thanks.
>> >>
>> >>
>> >
>> >
>>
>>
>
>