Two Windows Folders

Hello,
I have 2 Windows folders in XP. One contains the usual systems files in
addition to what appears to be hidden uninstall file folders with names such
like $NTUninstalkb867272$. The other Windows folders contain a folder named
system but it holds no files. Would it be safe to delete the files with
names such as $NTUninstalkb867272$ as they are using almost 500mb of space.
Thanks in advance,
Mrich

The $NTUninstall folders are backups of files that were replaced by various hotfixes. They can be deleted, but won't immediately free up any disk space. Deleting these files/folders will trigger a System Restore point. They'll eventually be flushed out as new restore points are created.

For an automated method of removing the Windows XP Hotfix backups, see www.dougknox.com, Win XP Utilities, Remove Hotfix Backup Files.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Mrich" <mrich1126@aol.com> wrote in message news:u1E9a7QhFHA.3436@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hello,
> I have 2 Windows folders in XP. One contains the usual systems files in
> addition to what appears to be hidden uninstall file folders with names such
> like $NTUninstalkb867272$. The other Windows folders contain a folder named
> system but it holds no files. Would it be safe to delete the files with
> names such as $NTUninstalkb867272$ as they are using almost 500mb of space.
> Thanks in advance,
> Mrich

Thanks Doug, wonderful.

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
Display\Security
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Mrich" <mrich1126@aol.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I have 2 Windows folders in XP. One contains the usual systems files in
> addition to what appears to be hidden uninstall file folders with names
> such
> like $NTUninstalkb867272$. The other Windows folders contain a folder
> named
> system but it holds no files. Would it be safe to delete the files with
> names such as $NTUninstalkb867272$ as they are using almost 500mb of
> space.
> Thanks in advance,
> Mrich

map

Leave the second "Windows folder" containing "system" listed under
"Documents and settings " alone.

--
Mike Pawlak