undo raid 0?

namek0

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
First of all, here's my setup:
2 Western Digital 200giggers in raid0

I've been having some issues with a hard drive of mine. Before I go any further, is it possible to simply undo my raid0?

I've got less than 180 gigs of stuff spanning both of the drives, so if I could put all of the data on the good drive, then I could try all sorts of stuff on the possibly bad one. I don't have any room to back any of this stuff up at the moment, and I'd hate to have to burn a million dvds

It's all good ^_^

namek0

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
Sorry, I wasn't feeling very technical when I made that post, lol. And on top of that, I wasn't thinking very straight either

Here's the deal, this is a friend's comptuer I'm dealing with. What he did was take his two 200 gig hard drives and put them in raid0 with his onbard sata controller. Then, he partitioned the array into two drives. He shouldn't have put them in raid0 in the first place, so I'm wanting to see if I can put the data on one drive, format it, and start from fresh. I'd like to repeat this for both drives if possible. My goal is to end up with two hard drives not in raid anything, and partitioned into two plain-jane 200 gig drives.

Worst case scenerio, I'll somehow store all of the data on other hard drives/dvds/etc and wipe the drives clean and start fresh. Any suggestions would be much appreciated

It's all good ^_^

gothitbycar

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
You're going to to need another harddrive thats at least 200 gb. When you put the two disks in RAID 0, even if you do partition it into two logical drives, the information is equally spread out among the two drives. You destroy or take away one then you're left with nothing. If you have another big empty hard drive, then use an imaging program to make an image of the RAID 0 array and put it on the empty drive.

Burning the image on CD's or DVD's isn't really an option, over 250 cds would be needed or 20 something dvds. What I would do is burn all the important stuff on Cd's or Dvd's, reformat and reinstall. What makes up the bulk of the 180gbs? Music and Videos? If it is, network your two computers together and send the files to your computer (if you have enough space.) That would be faster + cheaper than burning it on cds.

-----------------------
oh, its a nice day. TO EAT CHILDREN!!!

gothitbycar

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
I forgot, I haven't really encountered any imaging software that allows you to make images of serial ATA drives or drives in RAID 0. You may be up the creek without a paddle.

-----------------------
oh, its a nice day. TO EAT CHILDREN!!!

namek0

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
Yeah, I figured that's what I was going to have to do. I'll delete everything I don't need (which isn't much, lol) and use every bit of space on my main hd and my roomates. If I have to break down and by another hd I will, I mean there's no real downside of having a spare 200 gig hd laying around

Thanks for all the info guys, I appreciate it

It's all good ^_^