new hard drive on laptop

a b D Laptop
July 10, 2005 2:59:02 AM

I bought a new hard drive for a HP Pavillion ze 5170 Laptop.
Here is the error message that comes up..'Media test failed, check
cable'...also the hard drive is NOT detected in BIOS....it is a master too.

When I use the recovery cd, i get this error message..' error encountered
while creating save to disk partition'... then this prompt..'X:\TOOLS\S2D>_'
...I have no idea what that means!

any help will be greatly appreciated,

sally

More about : hard drive laptop

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 10, 2005 3:33:15 AM

sally wrote:

> I bought a new hard drive for a HP Pavillion ze 5170 Laptop.
> Here is the error message that comes up..'Media test failed, check
> cable'...also the hard drive is NOT detected in BIOS....it is a master too.
>
> When I use the recovery cd, i get this error message..' error encountered
> while creating save to disk partition'... then this prompt..'X:\TOOLS\S2D>_'
> ..I have no idea what that means!
>
> any help will be greatly appreciated,
>
> sally

Check bios setup configuration for autodetect of the new
hard drive. If failure continues, then either the HD is bad
or this particular laptop model is locked into hardware that
needs to be supplied by HP.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 10, 2005 4:14:27 AM

Did you, as the error message suggests, check the cable?
Is the cable properly oriented at the drive?
Is the cable properly oriented at the drive controller?
Is the cable fully seated into the drive?
Is the cable fully seated into the drive controller?
Is the new drive jumpered correctly?

steve

"sally" <sally @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I bought a new hard drive for a HP Pavillion ze 5170 Laptop.
> Here is the error message that comes up..'Media test failed, check
> cable'...also the hard drive is NOT detected in BIOS....it is a master
> too.
>
> When I use the recovery cd, i get this error message..' error encountered
> while creating save to disk partition'... then this
> prompt..'X:\TOOLS\S2D>_'
> ..I have no idea what that means!
>
> any help will be greatly appreciated,
>
> sally

a b D Laptop
July 10, 2005 2:47:02 PM

checked and double checked......cable ok........but drive still not being
recognied......any other suggestions?

sally

"Og" wrote:

> Did you, as the error message suggests, check the cable?
> Is the cable properly oriented at the drive?
> Is the cable properly oriented at the drive controller?
> Is the cable fully seated into the drive?
> Is the cable fully seated into the drive controller?
> Is the new drive jumpered correctly?
>
> steve
July 10, 2005 5:49:12 PM

sally wrote:

> checked and double checked......cable ok........but drive still not
> being recognied......any other suggestions?
>
> sally
>
> "Og" wrote:
>
>> Did you, as the error message suggests, check the cable?
>> Is the cable properly oriented at the drive?
>> Is the cable properly oriented at the drive controller?
>> Is the cable fully seated into the drive?
>> Is the cable fully seated into the drive controller?
>> Is the new drive jumpered correctly?
>>
>> steve

1. Try the hard drive in another computer. Since it is a laptop drive,
if you don't have another laptop in which to test it you would need an
IDE-laptop drive adapter. If you can't do this, take the new drive and
the laptop to a professional computer repair shop and have them test
the drive for you. If the drive is bad, return it to where you bought
it.

2. Call HP and see if putting a different drive in will cause this
problem.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

sally wrote:

> checked and double checked......cable ok........but drive still not being
> recognied......any other suggestions?
>
> sally

Does the replacement hard drive start up? Does the replacement
hard drive have the same physical characteristics as the old
hard drive? If so, then the situation might be as suggested by
GRider...the bios does not (or will not) recognize it. This can
happen with some of the branded (e.g., HP) products whereby the
bios identifies hardware by firmware ID's or proprietary ID's.
!