new hard drive on laptop

I bought a new hard drive for a HP Pavillion ze 5170 Laptop.
Here is the error message that comes up..'Media test failed, check
cable'...also the hard drive is NOT detected in BIOS....it is a master too.

When I use the recovery cd, i get this error message..' error encountered
while creating save to disk partition'... then this prompt..'X:\TOOLS\S2D>_'
...I have no idea what that means!

any help will be greatly appreciated,

sally
5 answers Last reply
More about hard drive laptop

    sally wrote:

    > I bought a new hard drive for a HP Pavillion ze 5170 Laptop.
    > Here is the error message that comes up..'Media test failed, check
    > cable'...also the hard drive is NOT detected in BIOS....it is a master too.
    >
    > When I use the recovery cd, i get this error message..' error encountered
    > while creating save to disk partition'... then this prompt..'X:\TOOLS\S2D>_'
    > ..I have no idea what that means!
    >
    > any help will be greatly appreciated,
    >
    > sally

    Check bios setup configuration for autodetect of the new
    hard drive. If failure continues, then either the HD is bad
    or this particular laptop model is locked into hardware that
    needs to be supplied by HP.

    Did you, as the error message suggests, check the cable?
    Is the cable properly oriented at the drive?
    Is the cable properly oriented at the drive controller?
    Is the cable fully seated into the drive?
    Is the cable fully seated into the drive controller?
    Is the new drive jumpered correctly?

    steve

    "sally" <sally @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I bought a new hard drive for a HP Pavillion ze 5170 Laptop.
    > Here is the error message that comes up..'Media test failed, check
    > cable'...also the hard drive is NOT detected in BIOS....it is a master
    > too.
    >
    > When I use the recovery cd, i get this error message..' error encountered
    > while creating save to disk partition'... then this
    > prompt..'X:\TOOLS\S2D>_'
    > ..I have no idea what that means!
    >
    > any help will be greatly appreciated,
    >
    > sally

    checked and double checked......cable ok........but drive still not being
    recognied......any other suggestions?

    sally

    sally wrote:

    > checked and double checked......cable ok........but drive still not
    > being recognied......any other suggestions?
    >
    > sally
    >
    > "Og" wrote:
    >
    >> Did you, as the error message suggests, check the cable?
    >> Is the cable properly oriented at the drive?
    >> Is the cable properly oriented at the drive controller?
    >> Is the cable fully seated into the drive?
    >> Is the cable fully seated into the drive controller?
    >> Is the new drive jumpered correctly?
    >>
    >> steve

    1. Try the hard drive in another computer. Since it is a laptop drive,
    if you don't have another laptop in which to test it you would need an
    IDE-laptop drive adapter. If you can't do this, take the new drive and
    the laptop to a professional computer repair shop and have them test
    the drive for you. If the drive is bad, return it to where you bought
    it.

    2. Call HP and see if putting a different drive in will cause this
    problem.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    sally wrote:

    > checked and double checked......cable ok........but drive still not being
    > recognied......any other suggestions?
    >
    > sally

    Does the replacement hard drive start up? Does the replacement
    hard drive have the same physical characteristics as the old
    hard drive? If so, then the situation might be as suggested by
    GRider...the bios does not (or will not) recognize it. This can
    happen with some of the branded (e.g., HP) products whereby the
    bios identifies hardware by firmware ID's or proprietary ID's.

Laptops Hard Drives Error Message Windows XP