dual channel function crashing comp

jiaruigoh

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2003
I have 2 sticks of 256 DDR400 CL2 ram
when i insert them into the mobo as perscribed to enable dual channel the comp wont start up

any other arrangement is fine

both stick run by themselves fine

I have been running it as dual channel for a month or so before problems started coming up

pls advice
thanks

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It could be damaged RAM, a change in operating temperature, or even a change in voltage. Voltage changes can happen over time with power supplies for example. If you give us the details of your system we might be more helpfull.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

sparky853

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
To check your RAM, go <A HREF="http://www.memtest86.com" target="_new">here</A> and download MemTest86. You can then make a bootable floppy that tests the RAM.

Make sure you do it one stick of RAM at a time, so if there is an error, you know which one it is.

XP2800+, Abit NF7, 1GB Dual-Channel DDR333, ATI R9800PRO 128MB, TT PurePower 420W, LG DVD+-R/RW
:redface: <font color=red>My wife says I suffer from premature ejaculation...I don't remember suffering<font color=red> :wink:

jiaruigoh

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2003
P4 2.4ghz 533fsb
2 stick 256 DDR400 CL2
SP1614C samsung sata 160gb
ti 4200 128mb
MSI 655 mobo
antec 350watt

I have used them individually with no problem, and no problem with them together as long as they are not in the dual channel mode.

once i insert them in the way persribed to enable dual channel it refuses to start up

you mention change in voltage, would increasing the voltage supply when im in single channel in bios work?

thanks

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, increasing RAM voltage in BIOS, then switching to dual-channel, might work. You could also try manually choosing slower timings to make the memory more stable. Also make sure the memory is set at a 1:1 speed ratio to the CPU bus (533 bus is 133MHz clock, memory should be set to DDR266, which also has a 133MHz clock, for dual channel mode).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

TRENDING THREADS