If you have AC97 with interference read this!

CaPtAiN_InSaNo

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2004
I've come to the conclusion that the AC97 is complete crap just like Realtek(excluding the Sound Storm, because Nvidia helped alot in that one so it works). I have the same mouse interference, hd interference and every other kind or retarted interfernce from my onboard AC97. I though it may have been a board flaw with my Abit IC7-Max3, but it appears to be a flaw with Realtek! If other boards are having the same problem it must be,there is no remedy except throwing money at it :(, :). Just get a new sound card!

P4 2.6c@3 / 1GB OCZ DDR533 / Abit IC7-Max3 /
BFG Geforce 6800 GT @ 410/1100 /
Baracuda 7200.7 120 GB SATA / Lian-Li PC-65 Case
/ SyncMaster 700nf Monitor / 3DMark03-12100<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by captain_insano on 11/01/04 07:58 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
That's a bummer.

Right now I'm reading some of the threads at the <A HREF="http://forum.abit-usa.com" target="_new">forums at Abit-usa.com</A>. To this day it seems Abit has not found a solution to the the static problem (when moving the mouse) or the microphone noise which is even more severe.

The strange thing is, even though most agree that the onboard sound isn't very good, not everyone seems to be having the noise problem.

The complaints do seem to outweigh the "my onboard sound is OK" kind of statements by far.

I guess you are right. Use a sound card.

<b>A mind is a terrible thing</b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
IC7 series isn't really that great, and sound problems are par for the course. Not all boards have sound problems, only a few models, and even with those models (like yours), not on every system.

I don't think it's a Realtek problem because many boards use the codec, but few people complain of noise.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

CaPtAiN_InSaNo

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2004
Well it depends, maybe its a flaw brought out by a certain design or some type of confilct with other devices, such as devices which emit a considerable amount of electronic noise. From what I have seen, there are more people having problems with the AC97 codec than there are who are not having problems. And I will NEVER by Abit again, I actually traded an Asus P4C800 Deluxe for my IC7-Max3 because i thought that the jumpy voltages on my Asus board were causing bad oc, but the abit board proved otherwise cause i got a worse oc on it!:( and I never had any audio conficts or interference of any kind. Other than that and the crappy NB fan on my Max3 it is pretty decent. Speed wise it benchmarks a bit higher, maybe some BIOS tweaking from Abit?

/ SyncMaster 700nf Monitor / 3DMark03-12100

CaPtAiN_InSaNo

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2004
One more thing, i don't think it is true to say the IC7 isn'that great, tomshardware, anandtech, hardocp all rated the IC7 in the top 3 or 4 boards, it was 2nd as far as enthusiest boards go. Now quality controle is a different issue, assuming everything works and stays working it is pretty good compared to alot of other companies.

/ SyncMaster 700nf Monitor / 3DMark03-12100

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
From what I have seen, there are more people having problems with the AC97 codec than there are who are not having problems.

Over 90% of people use AC97, I haven't seen anywhere near 50% of users complaining.

As far as I know the problems overclocking an IC7 series boards are related to the memory controller, have you tried the worst possible timings and experimented with voltages?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
All the "top" boards I've had any experience with have anoying problems in the design. Most P4C800-E's have the voltage control issue, but sometimes it takes a couple weeks to become noticable. Most IC7 boards overstress memory, and many users are experiencing audio problem (audio problems also seem to plague the AI7). The Soyo P4I875 series only has vCore up to 1.60v, and it's otherwise a great overclocker (better operation IMO than the IC7 Max 3 or P4C800, but with the vCore limit sticking you). I consider all the "high end" boards to be overpriced and undervalue, because boards at this price should be nearly perfect.

BunnyStroker

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
You can add me to the list of AC97 users that get ridiculous levels of static and feedback related to other periphals (mouse, for one).

This has been with two different mobos from two different manufacturers as well - my old 8k7a+ from Epox and my MSI K8N Neo Platinum.

There's just no escaping a dedicated sound card, IMO.

<b>1.4 Ghz AMD T-Bird underclocked to 1 Ghz...just to be safe!</b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Wow, I guess me and a bunch of other users are all just lucky then. Thanks for the update (pats self on back).

mopeygoth

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2003
To avoid the static mousemovements, drivereads, etc. you need to MUTE cd-audio/cd-digital. Your cd sound will still work in programs like win. mediaplayer which transfers throug the datacable

also, don't ever pull audiocables through the inside of your pc (eg. for frontpanel audio-out)

Abit IC7 Max II Advance - P4E3.0@3.45- i875P - 1024mb dual ddr400 3-2-2-6 - Leadtek 6800 128mb@380/850 - 600W dualfan(front/rear) PowerTek Psu - maxtor 4K080H4 & 6Y120P0 - samsung sm-352b

RichPLS

Champion
I have a RealTek 850 onboard sound, and I think it is superb.
I have sound hooked up the the inputs of a Sony Reciever 110watt with two Bose 2001 bookshelf speakers.

TRENDING THREADS