Missing "Display Properties Dialog Box"

July 10, 2005 5:21:02 AM

Recently I underwent a heavy attack of trojans and viruses. After having
cleaned them all out using VET, I noticed that in my profile in XP I don't
have a Properties Dialog Box anymore, just an HTML page. Can someone help me
sort this out please. I want my desktop back. Many thanks in advance.
--
Allan
Anonymous

I should clarify. I do have a Display Properties box, but all I have in the
box are Screen Saver and Settings, none of the other options, and I can't
change my Desktop which is an HTML page. Thanks for the efforts so far.

Allan

--
Allan

"Allan" wrote:

> Recently I underwent a heavy attack of trojans and viruses. After having
> cleaned them all out using VET, I noticed that in my profile in XP I don't
> have a Properties Dialog Box anymore, just an HTML page. Can someone help me
> sort this out please. I want my desktop back. Many thanks in advance.
> --
> Allan
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 8:43:01 AM

"Allan" <Allan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I should clarify. I do have a Display Properties box, but all I have in
>the
> box are Screen Saver and Settings, none of the other options, and I
> can't
> change my Desktop which is an HTML page. Thanks for the efforts so
> far.

Scan your system to rid of Spyware, malware, and parasites.

Adaware SE (free)
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download

Spybot - search and destroy (free)

Trend Micro - Housecall (free)
http://housecall.trendmicro.com

If you have XP Home, edit the registry (Appearance and Themes Tab)

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
May also be located here:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
Value Name: NoDispAppearancePage
Data type: REG_DWORD
Value Data: (0 = Tabs, 1 = No Tabs)

If you have XP Pro, use the Group Policy Editor to undo the changes.

The navigate here:
User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Control Panel > Display
> Hide Appearance and Theme tab
Select Enabled then Apply and then Not Configured>OK.
----
If you have XP Home, edit the registry (Desktop Tab)

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
May also be located here
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
Value Name: NoDispBackgroundPage
Data type: REG_DWORD
Value Data: (0 = Tabs, 1 = No Tabs)

If you have XP Pro, use the Group Policy Editor to undo the changes.

User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Control Panel > Display
> Hide Desktop tab
Select Enabled then Apply and then Not Configured>OK.

--
William
Anonymous

Click Start, Run and enter DESK.CPL Go to the Desktop tab, Customize Desktop, Web tab. Uncheck any Active Desktop content.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

!