Missing "Display Properties Dialog Box"

Recently I underwent a heavy attack of trojans and viruses. After having
cleaned them all out using VET, I noticed that in my profile in XP I don't
have a Properties Dialog Box anymore, just an HTML page. Can someone help me
sort this out please. I want my desktop back. Many thanks in advance.
--
Allan
3 answers Last reply

    I should clarify. I do have a Display Properties box, but all I have in the
    box are Screen Saver and Settings, none of the other options, and I can't
    change my Desktop which is an HTML page. Thanks for the efforts so far.

    Allan

    --
    Allan

    "Allan" <Allan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I should clarify. I do have a Display Properties box, but all I have in
    >the
    > box are Screen Saver and Settings, none of the other options, and I
    > can't
    > change my Desktop which is an HTML page. Thanks for the efforts so
    > far.

    Scan your system to rid of Spyware, malware, and parasites.

    Adaware SE (free)
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download

    Spybot - search and destroy (free)

    Trend Micro - Housecall (free)
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com

    If you have XP Home, edit the registry (Appearance and Themes Tab)

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
    May also be located here:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
    Value Name: NoDispAppearancePage
    Data type: REG_DWORD
    Value Data: (0 = Tabs, 1 = No Tabs)

    If you have XP Pro, use the Group Policy Editor to undo the changes.

    The navigate here:
    User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Control Panel > Display
    > Hide Appearance and Theme tab
    Select Enabled then Apply and then Not Configured>OK.
    ----
    If you have XP Home, edit the registry (Desktop Tab)

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
    May also be located here
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
    Value Name: NoDispBackgroundPage
    Data type: REG_DWORD
    Value Data: (0 = Tabs, 1 = No Tabs)

    If you have XP Pro, use the Group Policy Editor to undo the changes.

    User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Control Panel > Display
    > Hide Desktop tab
    Select Enabled then Apply and then Not Configured>OK.

    --
    William

    Click Start, Run and enter DESK.CPL Go to the Desktop tab, Customize Desktop, Web tab. Uncheck any Active Desktop content.

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "Allan" <Allan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:716A4759-48C6-412D-A3AC-E87ED7A1EE64@microsoft.com...
    > Recently I underwent a heavy attack of trojans and viruses. After having
    > cleaned them all out using VET, I noticed that in my profile in XP I don't
    > have a Properties Dialog Box anymore, just an HTML page. Can someone help me
    > sort this out please. I want my desktop back. Many thanks in advance.
    > --
    > Allan

Dialog Windows XP Displays