mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Hey guys I am building a new system, and am currently trying to decide if I should use my exsisitng DVD burner or get a different one. I will say this upfront, the problem with mine may be the user not the equipment!
Iomega Dual DVD
DVD+RW/DVD-RW/CD-RW
DVD+RW 4x 2.4x 12x
DVD-RW 4x 2x 12x
CD-RW 16x 10x 40x

That's the Specs for my model. I bought it a year ago, and it wasnt cheap. about $150.00 Now I know how to price shop! I have multiple problems with this unit. I watch movies from my PC and about once a week I have to reinstall the Sonic software. I still dont know how to copy movies, but I havent spent the time researching the topic because I feel like this unit has issues. Any suggestions would be great. Also if you think I should look for a new one, give me a couple of different price ranges. Maybe Low and Mid range. Thanks.

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
What kind of reading/burning problems you have encountered?

------------
<font color=orange><b><A HREF="http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox" target="_new">Rediscover the web</A></b></font color=orange>

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
I don't encounter very many reading errors, but it tends to screw up often when I am burning even simple data backups. I always close other applications and burn on the slowest speed. The software is Iomega Hotburn Pro. It also has Sonic My DVD and Sonic CineaPlayer with it. I am about to put a new system toghether, and I would rather get another DVD writer if this one os know to have issues.

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
Update firmwire and use other buring software (Nero 6.6 for example). If things doesn't improve, then you can look for another DVD burner.

For cheap, I recommend LiteOn SOHW-832S. If you have more money to spend and want faster buring speeds (especially 4x DVD+R DL burning support) then get NEC 3500A.

------------
<font color=orange><b><A HREF="http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox" target="_new">Rediscover the web</A></b></font color=orange>

I don't encounter very many reading errors, but it tends to screw up often when I am burning even simple data backups. I always close other applications and burn on the slowest speed. The software is Iomega Hotburn Pro. It also has Sonic My DVD and Sonic CineaPlayer with it. I am about to put a new system toghether, and I would rather get another DVD writer if this one os know to have issues.

I have the Iomega Super DVD internal burner with no problems at all, but I'm not using the software that came with the burner at all didn't even install the software that came with it.

I'm using Nero 6 Ultra, Smartripper to rip the DVD's to the HDD[Smartripper is free off the net, do a Google search to find a download site.], I also use Intervideo DVD Copy, with the burner.

Your amount of RAM in your computer is also a very important factor with success with any burner, you need more RAM than specified depending on how many processes are running on your computer.

For example lets say a CDRW requires 64mb of RAM, and you only have 64mb of RAM in your computer, with a bare minimum of programs active, then 64mb may be enough for the CDRW, however if your computers active programs are already using 56mb of your RAM, then 64mb is not enough RAM.

There are quite a few factors that affect a DVDRWs burning performance, and there may be nothing wrong with the burner at all.