High-tech weaponry in IF

Last response: in Video Games
March 9, 2005 8:36:02 AM

I have two rather involved questions.

1.

I'm working on a project where I need to know about a lot of high-tech
weapons from amateur science fiction IF games. Please let me know of
any interesting weapons that meet as many as possible of the following
criteria.

-- The weapon should be from an amateur science fiction IF game.

-- It should be a range weapon if possible (e.g. a sword wouldn't be
ideal).

-- It should be a high-tech weapon if possible (another reason why a
sword wouldn't be ideal).

-- Extra points if the weapon is from a good/important game.

-- Extra points if the weapon is outlandish and distinctive. E.g., the
Jello Blaster from Space Quest III would be perfect in this regard,
except SQ3 isn't IF.

-- I'm looking for games that span the whole history of amateur IF, so
don't just confine yourself to recent examples.

To prove that I've done some homework, here's my list of amateur
science fiction games. However, I haven't played most of these and I
don't know which of them have the kind of weapons I'm seeking.

Deep Space Drifter, by Mike Roberts and Steve McAdams
t-zero, by Dennis Cunningham
The Legend Lives!, by David Baggett
The Light: Shelby's Addendum, by Colm McCarthy
Time: All Things Come to an End, by Andy Phillips
Delusions, by C.E. Forman
Babel, by Ian Finley
Sins Against Mimesis, by Adam Thornton
Glowgrass, by Nate Cull
The Edifice, by Lucian Smith
Sea of Night, by G. Kevin Wilson
Spider and Web, by Andrew Plotkin
Arrival, by Steven Granade
Worlds Apart, by Suzanne Britton
Kaged, by Ian Finley
Fail-Safe, by Jon Ingold
LASH, by Paul O'Brian
Heroine's Mantle, by Andy Phillips
All Roads, by Jon Ingold
Earth and Sky, by Paul O'Brian
Stiffy Makane: The Undiscovered Country, by Adam Thornton
First Things First, by J. Robinson Wheeler
Centipede, by J. Robinson Wheeler
Vicious Cycles, by Simon Mark
Moments out of Time, by L. Ross Raszewski
Fallacy of Dawn, by Robb Sherwin
Till Death Makes a Monk-Fish out of Me!, by Jon Ingold and Mike Sousa
EAS2: Another Earth, Another Sky, by Paul O'Brian
Dutch Dapper IV: The Final Voyage, by Harry Hol
Max Blaster & Doris De Lightning, by Dan Shiovitz and Emily Short
Insight, by Jon Ingold
Inevitable, by Kathleen Fischer
Slouching Towards Bedlam, by Star Foster and Daniel Ravipinto
Scavenger, by Quintin Stone
EAS3: Luminous Horizon, by Paul O'Brian
All Things Devours, by Toby Ord
The Orion Agenda, by Ryan Weisenberger

2.

I also need at least one such weapon from a Magnetic Scrolls game. I
understand that Magnetic Scrolls produced no sci-fi games, but I will
settle for what I can get. I would love to hear about any gun from a
Magnetic Scrolls game, or anything that can be used with deadly effect.

Thanks to anybody who can help me with this.

Greg

More about : high tech weaponry

Anonymous
March 9, 2005 4:16:55 PM

I'll discuss some of the games I've played and whether you should check
them out. Games I leave out I don't know about.

> Delusions, by C.E. Forman

I've been playing this game recently but don't recall any intresting
weapons except maybe the automatic Xacto knife.

> Babel, by Ian Finley
> Glowgrass, by Nate Cull
> Kaged, by Ian Finley
> LASH, by Paul O'Brian
> All Roads, by Jon Ingold
> Earth and Sky, by Paul O'Brian
> Till Death Makes a Monk-Fish out of Me!, by Jon Ingold and Mike Sousa
> EAS2: Another Earth, Another Sky, by Paul O'Brian

I don't think they have anything that fits the bill. Some ordinary
swords, guns, and whips maybe but nothing sci-fi-y or wacky.

> Max Blaster & Doris De Lightning, by Dan Shiovitz and Emily Short

This should have something you can use. Max's prologue features some
good weapons as I recall.

> Insight, by Jon Ingold

I think there's a gun but nothing too exciting.

> Inevitable, by Kathleen Fischer

I think you have a phaser type weapon. And I'm sure you do in Bane of
the Builders which didn't make your list.

> Slouching Towards Bedlam, by Star Foster and Daniel Ravipinto

Interesting gadgets but not much weaponry.

> Scavenger, by Quintin Stone

There is a pistol you can use and a laser gun and grenade launcher that
you cannot.

> EAS3: Luminous Horizon, by Paul O'Brian

Not much in the way of weapons.

You might also look at the game Cerulean Stowaway though that is more
wacky items used as weapons than wacky weapons per se.

Cirk R. Bejnar
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 6:27:00 PM

On 9 Mar 2005 05:36:02 -0800, "Greg Boettcher"
<WRITETOgregAT@gregboettcher.com> wrote:

>I have two rather involved questions.
>
>1.

<snip>

>2.
>
>I also need at least one such weapon from a Magnetic Scrolls game. I
>understand that Magnetic Scrolls produced no sci-fi games, but I will
>settle for what I can get. I would love to hear about any gun from a
>Magnetic Scrolls game, or anything that can be used with deadly effect.
>
>Thanks to anybody who can help me with this.
>
>Greg

Well, Fish! is sort of wacky Science Fiction. I vaguely recall some of
the "Deadly Fins" using somesuch thing on the PC, but not too sure.
March 9, 2005 9:28:33 PM

>Extra points if the weapon is outlandish and distinctive. E.g., the
>Jello Blaster from Space Quest III would be perfect in this regard,
>except SQ3 isn't IF.

I beg to differ.

home*
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 12:32:23 AM

I also differ on this point, something as simple as a "choose your own
adventure" book IS interactive fiction. While Space Quest III wasn't a
purist text adventure, it definately was interactive fiction.

Chad Elliott
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 7:33:02 AM

Cirk R. Bejnar wrote:
> I'll discuss some of the games I've played and whether you should
check
> them out.

Many thanks. Hopefully, having narrowed the field a bit, I'll now be
less tempted to reach for a walkthrough when I start playing some of
these games.

Also, thanks for the Fish! recommendation. :)

Greg
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 12:20:35 PM

Spoilers ahead for all sorts of games.

In article <1110375362.109586.96140@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
Greg Boettcher <WRITETOgregAT@gregboettcher.com> wrote:
>To prove that I've done some homework, here's my list of amateur
>science fiction games. However, I haven't played most of these and I
>don't know which of them have the kind of weapons I'm seeking.

The following definitely don't:
>Babel, by Ian Finley
>Glowgrass, by Nate Cull
>The Edifice, by Lucian Smith

(I'm not sure I'd even call this one SF. At any rate, the highest-tech
weapon in it is a throwing spear.)

>All Roads, by Jon Ingold

Not SF, fantasy. Low-tech setting.

>Insight, by Jon Ingold

The following are sort of borderline:

>Spider and Web, by Andrew Plotkin

There's a gun and a radio-controlled explosive. I don't recall for sure
if there's anything high-tech about the gun, but I think not. Arguably
the projective teleportation machine could be considered a weapon.

>Earth and Sky, by Paul O'Brian
>EAS2: Another Earth, Another Sky, by Paul O'Brian
>EAS3: Luminous Horizon, by Paul O'Brian

These three involve costumes that grant super-powers such as lightning
blasts and fireballs, so they could be considered weapons. Oh, yeah,
in "Luminous Horizon" there's a hand-held device that induces hallucinations;
that would certainly qualify.

>All Things Devours, by Toby Ord

The time machine in this one certainly could be used as a devastating weapon,
but it isn't intended that way.

This one definitely has what you're looking for:
>Fail-Safe, by Jon Ingold

There's a spaceship with a laser cannon mounted on it.

I'd also add:
The Weapon, by Sean Barrett.

The weapon of the title was made up of 21 stars; when activated it would
destroy the entire galaxy.

--
David Goldfarb | "You never learn until too late that everyone's
goldfarb@ocf.berkeley.edu | passing for normal."

Greg Boettcher wrote:

> I'm working on a project where I need to know about a lot of
> high-tech weapons from amateur science fiction IF games.
> Please let me know of any interesting weapons that meet as
> many as possible of the following criteria.
>
> -- The weapon should be from an amateur science fiction IF game.
> -- It should be a range weapon if possible.
> -- It should be a high-tech weapon if possible.
> -- Extra points if the weapon is from a good/important game.
> -- Extra points if the weapon is outlandish and distinctive.

> Centipede, by J. Robinson Wheeler

All the characters in Centipede are futuristic soldiers equipped
with plasma rifles. I seem to recall that they are medium-range
weapons that fire "plasma pulses a million degrees hot and moving
at 400 miles an hour." The only thing particularly outlandish
about them within the game is that the PC lovingly considers his
plasma rifle to be an NPC.

I was happy to see that you also had First Things First on your
list. Alas, there are no high-tech weapons in that game. (Or
any weapons at all, I'm happy to say.) The sequel might be more
interesting that regard, he said teasingly. (If only I had a
real time machine that I could use to make the sequel appear
faster.)

--
J. Robinson Wheeler Games: http://raddial.com/if/
JRW Digital Media Movie: http://thekroneexperiment.com/

On 9 Mar 2005 05:36:02 -0800, "Greg Boettcher"
<WRITETOgregAT@gregboettcher.com> wrote:
>I'm working on a project where I need to know about a lot of high-tech
>weapons from amateur science fiction IF games. Please let me know of
>any interesting weapons that meet as many as possible of the following
>criteria.
>Fallacy of Dawn, by Robb Sherwin

There is an energy pistol in Fallacy of Dawn. I don't think the amount
of damage it can do ever changes in the game, but you become better at
shooting it the more characters in need of a take down you take down.

I think the only thing distinctive about it was that it was colored
safety orange. (The theory being that in the future someone would make
a black market gun the same color as a child's toy gun in order to get
the drop on cops who see it brandished and think "Oh, a toy" for a
split-second before getting hilariously struck in the face with an
energy blast.)
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 4:51:00 PM

Greg Boettcher wrote:

> I have two rather involved questions.
>
> 1.
>
> I'm working on a project where I need to know about a lot of high-tech
> weapons from amateur science fiction IF games. Please let me know of
> any interesting weapons that meet as many as possible of the following
> criteria.
>
> -- The weapon should be from an amateur science fiction IF game.
>
> -- It should be a range weapon if possible (e.g. a sword wouldn't be
> ideal).
>
> -- It should be a high-tech weapon if possible (another reason why a
> sword wouldn't be ideal).
>
> -- Extra points if the weapon is from a good/important game.
>
> -- Extra points if the weapon is outlandish and distinctive. E.g., the
> Jello Blaster from Space Quest III would be perfect in this regard,
> except SQ3 isn't IF.
>
> -- I'm looking for games that span the whole history of amateur IF, so
> don't just confine yourself to recent examples.
>
> To prove that I've done some homework, here's my list of amateur
> science fiction games. However, I haven't played most of these and I
> don't know which of them have the kind of weapons I'm seeking.
>
> Sea of Night, by G. Kevin Wilson

There are no weapons in Sea of Night. In fact there is only one
portable item in the entire game.

> Spider and Web, by Andrew Plotkin

There are numerous cool gadgets you can combine in different ways.
Someone mentioned the explosive (btw, it's not necessarily radio
controlled, there are a number of different trigger devices that can be
used with it), there is also a ray-based stunner and a peculiar device
described as a pen with a crystal nib that neutralizes an enemy with the
slightest scratch (it's unclear whether it kills or just renders
unconcious).

> LASH, by Paul O'Brian

LASH is only marginally sci-fi, the meat of the game is historical
fiction. There are no weapons in it.

Your list left out Waystation by Stephen Granade. I haven't gotten very
far, but I have seen a few sci-fi guns.

Also, even though Lethe Flow Phoenix claims to be fantasy, it's really
more science-fiction. The only weapon is a grenade, though.
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 7:40:01 AM

In article <1110375362.109586.96140@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
Greg Boettcher <WRITETOgregAT@gregboettcher.com> wrote:
>Sins Against Mimesis, by Adam Thornton

This one has a high-tech weapon: a Big Gun.

!cf. _Stiffy_; totally useless, too. You *can* kill yourself with it,
!though.
Object big_gun "big gun"
with name "big" "gun",
description "BIG GUN KICK THE HELL OUTTA YOU!";

(and for good measure,

[ShootSelfSub;
if (testscope(big_gun,player)) {
deadflag = 1;
"Oh, it's hopeless. Time to end it all. You insert the barrel of \
the big gun between your lips, and with a sigh composed of equal \
parts ennui and despair, vaporize your own head.";
}
"Although suicide is an attractive option, you have nothing which which \
to shoot yourself.";
];

)

>Stiffy Makane: The Undiscovered Country, by Adam Thornton

So does this one. It's even a metaphorical weapon. Your ship has
photon torpedos and phasers, which you can arm, disarm, and fire by
talking to the ship's computer. Plus there's a certain notorious
sequence at the end of the game where you can mind-meld with the ship,
and your weaponry becomes rather more, ah, anthropomorphized. It's sort
of the final puzzle, actually. The source code's available, if you want
to see how it works; it's not printable in a family newsgroup.

Adam
!