High-tech weaponry in IF

I have two rather involved questions.

1.

I'm working on a project where I need to know about a lot of high-tech
weapons from amateur science fiction IF games. Please let me know of
any interesting weapons that meet as many as possible of the following
criteria.

-- The weapon should be from an amateur science fiction IF game.

-- It should be a range weapon if possible (e.g. a sword wouldn't be
ideal).

-- It should be a high-tech weapon if possible (another reason why a
sword wouldn't be ideal).

-- Extra points if the weapon is from a good/important game.

-- Extra points if the weapon is outlandish and distinctive. E.g., the
Jello Blaster from Space Quest III would be perfect in this regard,
except SQ3 isn't IF.

-- I'm looking for games that span the whole history of amateur IF, so
don't just confine yourself to recent examples.

To prove that I've done some homework, here's my list of amateur
science fiction games. However, I haven't played most of these and I
don't know which of them have the kind of weapons I'm seeking.

Deep Space Drifter, by Mike Roberts and Steve McAdams
t-zero, by Dennis Cunningham
The Legend Lives!, by David Baggett
The Light: Shelby's Addendum, by Colm McCarthy
Time: All Things Come to an End, by Andy Phillips
Delusions, by C.E. Forman
Babel, by Ian Finley
Sins Against Mimesis, by Adam Thornton
Glowgrass, by Nate Cull
The Edifice, by Lucian Smith
Sea of Night, by G. Kevin Wilson
Spider and Web, by Andrew Plotkin
Arrival, by Steven Granade
Worlds Apart, by Suzanne Britton
Kaged, by Ian Finley
Fail-Safe, by Jon Ingold
LASH, by Paul O'Brian
Heroine's Mantle, by Andy Phillips
All Roads, by Jon Ingold
Earth and Sky, by Paul O'Brian
Stiffy Makane: The Undiscovered Country, by Adam Thornton
First Things First, by J. Robinson Wheeler
Centipede, by J. Robinson Wheeler
Vicious Cycles, by Simon Mark
Moments out of Time, by L. Ross Raszewski
Fallacy of Dawn, by Robb Sherwin
Till Death Makes a Monk-Fish out of Me!, by Jon Ingold and Mike Sousa
EAS2: Another Earth, Another Sky, by Paul O'Brian
Dutch Dapper IV: The Final Voyage, by Harry Hol
Max Blaster & Doris De Lightning, by Dan Shiovitz and Emily Short
Insight, by Jon Ingold
Inevitable, by Kathleen Fischer
Slouching Towards Bedlam, by Star Foster and Daniel Ravipinto
Scavenger, by Quintin Stone
EAS3: Luminous Horizon, by Paul O'Brian
All Things Devours, by Toby Ord
The Orion Agenda, by Ryan Weisenberger

2.

I also need at least one such weapon from a Magnetic Scrolls game. I
understand that Magnetic Scrolls produced no sci-fi games, but I will
settle for what I can get. I would love to hear about any gun from a
Magnetic Scrolls game, or anything that can be used with deadly effect.

Thanks to anybody who can help me with this.

Greg
10 answers Last reply
More about high tech weaponry
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    I'll discuss some of the games I've played and whether you should check
    them out. Games I leave out I don't know about.

    > Delusions, by C.E. Forman

    I've been playing this game recently but don't recall any intresting
    weapons except maybe the automatic Xacto knife.

    > Babel, by Ian Finley
    > Glowgrass, by Nate Cull
    > Kaged, by Ian Finley
    > LASH, by Paul O'Brian
    > All Roads, by Jon Ingold
    > Earth and Sky, by Paul O'Brian
    > Till Death Makes a Monk-Fish out of Me!, by Jon Ingold and Mike Sousa
    > EAS2: Another Earth, Another Sky, by Paul O'Brian

    I don't think they have anything that fits the bill. Some ordinary
    swords, guns, and whips maybe but nothing sci-fi-y or wacky.

    > Max Blaster & Doris De Lightning, by Dan Shiovitz and Emily Short

    This should have something you can use. Max's prologue features some
    good weapons as I recall.

    > Insight, by Jon Ingold

    I think there's a gun but nothing too exciting.

    > Inevitable, by Kathleen Fischer

    I think you have a phaser type weapon. And I'm sure you do in Bane of
    the Builders which didn't make your list.

    > Slouching Towards Bedlam, by Star Foster and Daniel Ravipinto

    Interesting gadgets but not much weaponry.

    > Scavenger, by Quintin Stone

    There is a pistol you can use and a laser gun and grenade launcher that
    you cannot.

    > EAS3: Luminous Horizon, by Paul O'Brian

    Not much in the way of weapons.

    You might also look at the game Cerulean Stowaway though that is more
    wacky items used as weapons than wacky weapons per se.

    Cirk R. Bejnar
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    On 9 Mar 2005 05:36:02 -0800, "Greg Boettcher"
    <WRITETOgregAT@gregboettcher.com> wrote:

    >I have two rather involved questions.
    >
    >1.

    <snip>

    >2.
    >
    >I also need at least one such weapon from a Magnetic Scrolls game. I
    >understand that Magnetic Scrolls produced no sci-fi games, but I will
    >settle for what I can get. I would love to hear about any gun from a
    >Magnetic Scrolls game, or anything that can be used with deadly effect.
    >
    >Thanks to anybody who can help me with this.
    >
    >Greg

    Well, Fish! is sort of wacky Science Fiction. I vaguely recall some of
    the "Deadly Fins" using somesuch thing on the PC, but not too sure.
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    >Extra points if the weapon is outlandish and distinctive. E.g., the
    >Jello Blaster from Space Quest III would be perfect in this regard,
    >except SQ3 isn't IF.

    I beg to differ.

    home*
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    I also differ on this point, something as simple as a "choose your own
    adventure" book IS interactive fiction. While Space Quest III wasn't a
    purist text adventure, it definately was interactive fiction.

    Chad Elliott
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    Cirk R. Bejnar wrote:
    > I'll discuss some of the games I've played and whether you should
    check
    > them out.

    Many thanks. Hopefully, having narrowed the field a bit, I'll now be
    less tempted to reach for a walkthrough when I start playing some of
    these games.

    Also, thanks for the Fish! recommendation. :)

    Greg
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    Spoilers ahead for all sorts of games.

    In article <1110375362.109586.96140@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
    Greg Boettcher <WRITETOgregAT@gregboettcher.com> wrote:
    >To prove that I've done some homework, here's my list of amateur
    >science fiction games. However, I haven't played most of these and I
    >don't know which of them have the kind of weapons I'm seeking.

    The following definitely don't:
    >Babel, by Ian Finley
    >Glowgrass, by Nate Cull
    >The Edifice, by Lucian Smith

    (I'm not sure I'd even call this one SF. At any rate, the highest-tech
    weapon in it is a throwing spear.)

    >All Roads, by Jon Ingold

    Not SF, fantasy. Low-tech setting.

    >Insight, by Jon Ingold

    The following are sort of borderline:

    >Spider and Web, by Andrew Plotkin

    There's a gun and a radio-controlled explosive. I don't recall for sure
    if there's anything high-tech about the gun, but I think not. Arguably
    the projective teleportation machine could be considered a weapon.

    >Earth and Sky, by Paul O'Brian
    >EAS2: Another Earth, Another Sky, by Paul O'Brian
    >EAS3: Luminous Horizon, by Paul O'Brian

    These three involve costumes that grant super-powers such as lightning
    blasts and fireballs, so they could be considered weapons. Oh, yeah,
    in "Luminous Horizon" there's a hand-held device that induces hallucinations;
    that would certainly qualify.

    >All Things Devours, by Toby Ord

    The time machine in this one certainly could be used as a devastating weapon,
    but it isn't intended that way.

    This one definitely has what you're looking for:
    >Fail-Safe, by Jon Ingold

    There's a spaceship with a laser cannon mounted on it.

    I'd also add:
    The Weapon, by Sean Barrett.

    The weapon of the title was made up of 21 stars; when activated it would
    destroy the entire galaxy.

    --
    David Goldfarb | "You never learn until too late that everyone's
    goldfarb@ocf.berkeley.edu | passing for normal."

    Greg Boettcher wrote:

    > I'm working on a project where I need to know about a lot of
    > high-tech weapons from amateur science fiction IF games.
    > Please let me know of any interesting weapons that meet as
    > many as possible of the following criteria.
    >
    > -- The weapon should be from an amateur science fiction IF game.
    > -- It should be a range weapon if possible.
    > -- It should be a high-tech weapon if possible.
    > -- Extra points if the weapon is from a good/important game.
    > -- Extra points if the weapon is outlandish and distinctive.

    > Centipede, by J. Robinson Wheeler

    All the characters in Centipede are futuristic soldiers equipped
    with plasma rifles. I seem to recall that they are medium-range
    weapons that fire "plasma pulses a million degrees hot and moving
    at 400 miles an hour." The only thing particularly outlandish
    about them within the game is that the PC lovingly considers his
    plasma rifle to be an NPC.

    I was happy to see that you also had First Things First on your
    list. Alas, there are no high-tech weapons in that game. (Or
    any weapons at all, I'm happy to say.) The sequel might be more
    interesting that regard, he said teasingly. (If only I had a
    real time machine that I could use to make the sequel appear
    faster.)

    --
    J. Robinson Wheeler Games: http://raddial.com/if/
    JRW Digital Media Movie: http://thekroneexperiment.com/

    On 9 Mar 2005 05:36:02 -0800, "Greg Boettcher"
    <WRITETOgregAT@gregboettcher.com> wrote:
    >I'm working on a project where I need to know about a lot of high-tech
    >weapons from amateur science fiction IF games. Please let me know of
    >any interesting weapons that meet as many as possible of the following
    >criteria.
    >Fallacy of Dawn, by Robb Sherwin

    There is an energy pistol in Fallacy of Dawn. I don't think the amount
    of damage it can do ever changes in the game, but you become better at
    shooting it the more characters in need of a take down you take down.

    I think the only thing distinctive about it was that it was colored
    safety orange. (The theory being that in the future someone would make
    a black market gun the same color as a child's toy gun in order to get
    the drop on cops who see it brandished and think "Oh, a toy" for a
    split-second before getting hilariously struck in the face with an
    energy blast.)
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    Greg Boettcher wrote:

    > I have two rather involved questions.
    >
    > 1.
    >
    > I'm working on a project where I need to know about a lot of high-tech
    > weapons from amateur science fiction IF games. Please let me know of
    > any interesting weapons that meet as many as possible of the following
    > criteria.
    >
    > -- The weapon should be from an amateur science fiction IF game.
    >
    > -- It should be a range weapon if possible (e.g. a sword wouldn't be
    > ideal).
    >
    > -- It should be a high-tech weapon if possible (another reason why a
    > sword wouldn't be ideal).
    >
    > -- Extra points if the weapon is from a good/important game.
    >
    > -- Extra points if the weapon is outlandish and distinctive. E.g., the
    > Jello Blaster from Space Quest III would be perfect in this regard,
    > except SQ3 isn't IF.
    >
    > -- I'm looking for games that span the whole history of amateur IF, so
    > don't just confine yourself to recent examples.
    >
    > To prove that I've done some homework, here's my list of amateur
    > science fiction games. However, I haven't played most of these and I
    > don't know which of them have the kind of weapons I'm seeking.
    >
    > Sea of Night, by G. Kevin Wilson

    There are no weapons in Sea of Night. In fact there is only one
    portable item in the entire game.

    > Spider and Web, by Andrew Plotkin

    There are numerous cool gadgets you can combine in different ways.
    Someone mentioned the explosive (btw, it's not necessarily radio
    controlled, there are a number of different trigger devices that can be
    used with it), there is also a ray-based stunner and a peculiar device
    described as a pen with a crystal nib that neutralizes an enemy with the
    slightest scratch (it's unclear whether it kills or just renders
    unconcious).

    > LASH, by Paul O'Brian

    LASH is only marginally sci-fi, the meat of the game is historical
    fiction. There are no weapons in it.

    Your list left out Waystation by Stephen Granade. I haven't gotten very
    far, but I have seen a few sci-fi guns.

    Also, even though Lethe Flow Phoenix claims to be fantasy, it's really
    more science-fiction. The only weapon is a grenade, though.
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    In article <1110375362.109586.96140@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
    Greg Boettcher <WRITETOgregAT@gregboettcher.com> wrote:
    >Sins Against Mimesis, by Adam Thornton

    This one has a high-tech weapon: a Big Gun.

    !cf. _Stiffy_; totally useless, too. You *can* kill yourself with it,
    !though.
    Object big_gun "big gun"
    with name "big" "gun",
    description "BIG GUN KICK THE HELL OUTTA YOU!";

    (and for good measure,

    [ShootSelfSub;
    if (testscope(big_gun,player)) {
    deadflag = 1;
    "Oh, it's hopeless. Time to end it all. You insert the barrel of \
    the big gun between your lips, and with a sigh composed of equal \
    parts ennui and despair, vaporize your own head.";
    }
    "Although suicide is an attractive option, you have nothing which which \
    to shoot yourself.";
    ];

    )

    >Stiffy Makane: The Undiscovered Country, by Adam Thornton

    So does this one. It's even a metaphorical weapon. Your ship has
    photon torpedos and phasers, which you can arm, disarm, and fire by
    talking to the ship's computer. Plus there's a certain notorious
    sequence at the end of the game where you can mind-meld with the ship,
    and your weaponry becomes rather more, ah, anthropomorphized. It's sort
    of the final puzzle, actually. The source code's available, if you want
    to see how it works; it's not printable in a family newsgroup.

    Adam

Games Video Games