Restore Disk and System Disk -- are they the same?

July 10, 2005 8:03:02 AM

Good morning,

I recently had to move up to WinXP Home on a Compaq Presario after saying
goodbye to my trusty Packard Bell running Win95a.

My WinXP Home came preinstalled on the computer and I had no WinXP Home CD
Disk as a backup.

I contacted Compaq and they immediately sent me a set of Backup Disks in
case the 'System Restore' on the computer wasn't available for one reason or
the other.

I have yet to put them into the computer to see what they consist of. I am
not experiencing any problems and I don't want to create any by doing
something I am not sure of.

I am just curious is this set of disks is what I would use if I had to
reinstall WinXP Home?

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever
--
" ... Nuff Said. Keep Smiling Because I''m Smiling Too!"
Anonymous

Hi

You'll have to see which disk Compaq have sent you. If it's an OEM disk,
then you may only be able to perform a 'Clean' install of XP. Did Compaq
include any documentation with the disks - if so, have a look through those
for any information regarding the repair/re-install of XP.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"2harts4ever" <2harts4ever@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Good morning,
>
> I recently had to move up to WinXP Home on a Compaq Presario after saying
> goodbye to my trusty Packard Bell running Win95a.
>
> My WinXP Home came preinstalled on the computer and I had no WinXP Home CD
> Disk as a backup.
>
> I contacted Compaq and they immediately sent me a set of Backup Disks in
> case the 'System Restore' on the computer wasn't available for one reason
> or
> the other.
>
> I have yet to put them into the computer to see what they consist of. I
> am
> not experiencing any problems and I don't want to create any by doing
> something I am not sure of.
>
> I am just curious is this set of disks is what I would use if I had to
> reinstall WinXP Home?
>
> Thanks and regards,
>
> 2harts4ever
> --
> " ... Nuff Said. Keep Smiling Because I''m Smiling Too!"
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 4:23:13 PM

Morning Will Denny,

This is super embarrassing because I just found the directions included with
the CDs sent to me by Compaq. They were in the case all the time ... I
just didn't notice them.

The direction sheet says I can perform a 'Standard Recovery' or a 'Full
System Recovery'.

The set itself includes 7 CDs numbered 1 to 7 each stating it is a 'Compaq
System Recovery (Windows XP Home Edition) disk.

So, I guess that answers my question. I apologize for taking up your time
when the answer was right in the box (Restore Disks) all the time.

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever
--

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> You'll have to see which disk Compaq have sent you. If it's an OEM disk,
> then you may only be able to perform a 'Clean' install of XP. Did Compaq
> include any documentation with the disks - if so, have a look through those
> for any information regarding the repair/re-install of XP.
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "2harts4ever" <2harts4ever@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Good morning,
> >
> > I recently had to move up to WinXP Home on a Compaq Presario after saying
> > goodbye to my trusty Packard Bell running Win95a.
> >
> > My WinXP Home came preinstalled on the computer and I had no WinXP Home CD
> > Disk as a backup.
> >
> > I contacted Compaq and they immediately sent me a set of Backup Disks in
> > case the 'System Restore' on the computer wasn't available for one reason
> > or
> > the other.
> >
> > I have yet to put them into the computer to see what they consist of. I
> > am
> > not experiencing any problems and I don't want to create any by doing
> > something I am not sure of.
> >
> > I am just curious is this set of disks is what I would use if I had to
> > reinstall WinXP Home?
> >
> > Thanks and regards,
> >
> > 2harts4ever
> > --
> > " ... Nuff Said. Keep Smiling Because I''m Smiling Too!"

July 10, 2005 4:23:14 PM

With those 7 CDs you can either:

1.) Perform a 'Standard Recovery' -- the CD set enables you to access a
hidden partition on the hard drive which contains the Compaq customized OEM
version of Windows and perform a clean install. This will restore your
system to exactly as it was when you opened the cardboard box.
CAUTION: all data files that you have created will be forever gone from
the hard drive. Be sure you have backed them up.

2.) Perform a 'Full System Recovery' -- if the hidden partition becomes
corrupt, or if your hard drive dies after your warranty expires, the CD set
enables you to create the hidden partition and write the files to that
partition that is necessary to restore your system to exactly as it was when
you opened the cardboard box. See the caution note in #1.

steve

> Morning Will Denny,
>
> This is super embarrassing because I just found the directions included
> with
> the CDs sent to me by Compaq. They were in the case all the time ... I
> just didn't notice them.
>
> The direction sheet says I can perform a 'Standard Recovery' or a 'Full
> System Recovery'.
>
> The set itself includes 7 CDs numbered 1 to 7 each stating it is a
> 'Compaq
> System Recovery (Windows XP Home Edition) disk.
>
> So, I guess that answers my question. I apologize for taking up your time
> when the answer was right in the box (Restore Disks) all the time.
>
> Thanks and regards,
>
> 2harts4ever
> --
> " ... Nuff Said. Keep Smiling Because I''''m Smiling Too!"
>

> "Will Denny" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> You'll have to see which disk Compaq have sent you. If it's an OEM disk,
>> then you may only be able to perform a 'Clean' install of XP. Did Compaq
>> include any documentation with the disks - if so, have a look through
>> those
>> for any information regarding the repair/re-install of XP.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>

>> "2harts4ever" <2harts4ever@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Good morning,
>> >
>> > I recently had to move up to WinXP Home on a Compaq Presario after
>> > saying
>> > goodbye to my trusty Packard Bell running Win95a.
>> >
>> > My WinXP Home came preinstalled on the computer and I had no WinXP Home
>> > CD
>> > Disk as a backup.
>> >
>> > I contacted Compaq and they immediately sent me a set of Backup Disks
>> > in
>> > case the 'System Restore' on the computer wasn't available for one
>> > reason
>> > or
>> > the other.
>> >
>> > I have yet to put them into the computer to see what they consist of.
>> > am
>> > not experiencing any problems and I don't want to create any by doing
>> > something I am not sure of.
>> >
>> > I am just curious is this set of disks is what I would use if I had to
>> > reinstall WinXP Home?
>> >
>> > Thanks and regards,
>> >
>> > 2harts4ever
>> > --
>> > " ... Nuff Said. Keep Smiling Because I''m Smiling Too!"

Anonymous
July 10, 2005 4:23:15 PM

Hi Og,

I appreciate you coming aboard and passing on your thoughts about the
Restore disks from Compaq.

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever
--

"Og" wrote:

> With those 7 CDs you can either:
>
> 1.) Perform a 'Standard Recovery' -- the CD set enables you to access a
> hidden partition on the hard drive which contains the Compaq customized OEM
> version of Windows and perform a clean install. This will restore your
> system to exactly as it was when you opened the cardboard box.
> CAUTION: all data files that you have created will be forever gone from
> the hard drive. Be sure you have backed them up.
>
> 2.) Perform a 'Full System Recovery' -- if the hidden partition becomes
> corrupt, or if your hard drive dies after your warranty expires, the CD set
> enables you to create the hidden partition and write the files to that
> partition that is necessary to restore your system to exactly as it was when
> you opened the cardboard box. See the caution note in #1.
>
> steve
>

> "2harts4ever" <2harts4ever@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Morning Will Denny,
> >
> > This is super embarrassing because I just found the directions included
> > with
> > the CDs sent to me by Compaq. They were in the case all the time ... I
> > just didn't notice them.
> >
> > The direction sheet says I can perform a 'Standard Recovery' or a 'Full
> > System Recovery'.
> >
> > The set itself includes 7 CDs numbered 1 to 7 each stating it is a
> > 'Compaq
> > System Recovery (Windows XP Home Edition) disk.
> >
> > So, I guess that answers my question. I apologize for taking up your time
> > when the answer was right in the box (Restore Disks) all the time.
> >
> > Thanks and regards,
> >
> > 2harts4ever
> > --
> > " ... Nuff Said. Keep Smiling Because I''''m Smiling Too!"
> >

> > "Will Denny" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> You'll have to see which disk Compaq have sent you. If it's an OEM disk,
> >> then you may only be able to perform a 'Clean' install of XP. Did Compaq
> >> include any documentation with the disks - if so, have a look through
> >> those
> >> for any information regarding the repair/re-install of XP.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Will Denny
> >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> >> Please reply to the News Groups
> >>

> >> "2harts4ever" <2harts4ever@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 11, 2005 12:49:04 AM

"2harts4ever" <2harts4ever@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Good morning,
>
> I recently had to move up to WinXP Home on a Compaq Presario after saying
> goodbye to my trusty Packard Bell running Win95a.
>
> My WinXP Home came preinstalled on the computer and I had no WinXP Home CD
> Disk as a backup.
>
> I contacted Compaq and they immediately sent me a set of Backup Disks in
> case the 'System Restore' on the computer wasn't available for one reason
> or
> the other.
>
> I have yet to put them into the computer to see what they consist of. I
> am
> not experiencing any problems and I don't want to create any by doing
> something I am not sure of.
>
> I am just curious is this set of disks is what I would use if I had to
> reinstall WinXP Home?
>
> Thanks and regards,
>
> 2harts4ever
> --
> " ... Nuff Said. Keep Smiling Because I''m Smiling Too!"

Those CDs will restore your machine to either
1. same condition as when you received it from the factory
2. repair the XP system files same as above, but leave all your
existing data intact [hopefully]
Make sure you understand these processes before embarking .

rgds
Li'l Roberto
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 12:49:05 AM

Morning Li'l Roberto,

I don't want to beat a dead horse to death but if I would put the first disk
of the Restore Disks Compaq sent me into the computer would it start
restoring right away or would it give me the option to explore what's on the
disk and decide what to do first?

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever
--

"Li'l Roberto" wrote:

> "2harts4ever" <2harts4ever@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Good morning,
> >
> > I recently had to move up to WinXP Home on a Compaq Presario after saying
> > goodbye to my trusty Packard Bell running Win95a.
> >
> > My WinXP Home came preinstalled on the computer and I had no WinXP Home CD
> > Disk as a backup.
> >
> > I contacted Compaq and they immediately sent me a set of Backup Disks in
> > case the 'System Restore' on the computer wasn't available for one reason
> > or
> > the other.
> >
> > I have yet to put them into the computer to see what they consist of. I
> > am
> > not experiencing any problems and I don't want to create any by doing
> > something I am not sure of.
> >
> > I am just curious is this set of disks is what I would use if I had to
> > reinstall WinXP Home?
> >
> > Thanks and regards,
> >
> > 2harts4ever
> > --
> > " ... Nuff Said. Keep Smiling Because I''m Smiling Too!"
>
> Those CDs will restore your machine to either
> 1. same condition as when you received it from the factory
> 2. repair the XP system files same as above, but leave all your
> existing data intact [hopefully]
> Make sure you understand these processes before embarking .
>
> rgds
> Li'l Roberto

Anonymous
July 11, 2005 12:49:06 AM

Are the disks CDs?
How many are there?
--
Ron Sommer

> Morning Li'l Roberto,
>
> I don't want to beat a dead horse to death but if I would put the first
> disk
> of the Restore Disks Compaq sent me into the computer would it start
> restoring right away or would it give me the option to explore what's on
> the
> disk and decide what to do first?
>
> Thanks and regards,
>
> 2harts4ever
> --
> " ... Nuff Said. Keep Smiling Because I''''m Smiling Too!"
>

> "Li'l Roberto" wrote:
>

>> "2harts4ever" <2harts4ever@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Good morning,
>> >
>> > I recently had to move up to WinXP Home on a Compaq Presario after
>> > saying
>> > goodbye to my trusty Packard Bell running Win95a.
>> >
>> > My WinXP Home came preinstalled on the computer and I had no WinXP Home
>> > CD
>> > Disk as a backup.
>> >
>> > I contacted Compaq and they immediately sent me a set of Backup Disks
>> > in
>> > case the 'System Restore' on the computer wasn't available for one
>> > reason
>> > or
>> > the other.
>> >
>> > I have yet to put them into the computer to see what they consist of.
>> > am
>> > not experiencing any problems and I don't want to create any by doing
>> > something I am not sure of.
>> >
>> > I am just curious is this set of disks is what I would use if I had to
>> > reinstall WinXP Home?
>> >
>> > Thanks and regards,
>> >
>> > 2harts4ever
>> > --
>> > " ... Nuff Said. Keep Smiling Because I''m Smiling Too!"
>>
>> Those CDs will restore your machine to either
>> 1. same condition as when you received it from the factory
>> 2. repair the XP system files same as above, but leave all your
>> existing data intact [hopefully]
>> Make sure you understand these processes before embarking .
>>
>> rgds
>> Li'l Roberto

Anonymous
July 11, 2005 12:49:06 AM

Assuming that it's a CD, hold down the shift key for 20 seconds while you
put the CD in and it won't start automatically.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

"2harts4ever" <2harts4ever@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Morning Li'l Roberto,
>
> I don't want to beat a dead horse to death but if I would put the
> first disk of the Restore Disks Compaq sent me into the computer
> would it start restoring right away or would it give me the option to
> explore what's on the disk and decide what to do first?
>
> Thanks and regards,
>
> 2harts4ever
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 12:49:07 AM

Hi Ron,

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Please see my reply to Will Denny.

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever
--

"Ron Sommer" wrote:

> Are the disks CDs?
> How many are there?
> --
> Ron Sommer
>
> "2harts4ever" <2harts4ever@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Morning Li'l Roberto,
> >
> > I don't want to beat a dead horse to death but if I would put the first
> > disk
> > of the Restore Disks Compaq sent me into the computer would it start
> > restoring right away or would it give me the option to explore what's on
> > the
> > disk and decide what to do first?
> >
> > Thanks and regards,
> >
> > 2harts4ever
> > --
> > " ... Nuff Said. Keep Smiling Because I''''m Smiling Too!"
> >

> > "Li'l Roberto" wrote:
> >

> >> "2harts4ever" <2harts4ever@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> Those CDs will restore your machine to either
> >> 1. same condition as when you received it from the factory
> >> 2. repair the XP system files same as above, but leave all your
> >> existing data intact [hopefully]
> >> Make sure you understand these processes before embarking .
> >>
> >> rgds
> >> Li'l Roberto

Anonymous
July 11, 2005 12:49:07 AM