2004 XYZZY Awards (and hey, Peter Eastman)

Archived from groups: rec.arts.int-fiction,rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

This is the official announcement that the 2004 XYZZY Awards will be
held next weekend, Sunday March 20th, at 4pm EST (9pm GMT), on ifMUD:
http://ifmud.port4000.com/
Come on by and check 'em out!

(And Peter Eastman, if you're out there, get in touch with me if you'd
like to present the Best Individual PC Award -- otherwise I will be
forced to schedule in the Special Mystery Presenter.)

--
Dan Shiovitz :: dbs@cs.wisc.edu :: http://www.drizzle.com/~dans
"He settled down to dictate a letter to the Consolidated Nailfile and

In <d0vojb$sre$1@drizzle.com> Dan Shiovitz wrote:

> This is the official announcement that the 2004 XYZZY Awards will be
> held next weekend, Sunday March 20th, at 4pm EST (9pm GMT), on ifMUD:
> http://ifmud.port4000.com/
> Come on by and check 'em out!

I have tried to connect to the MUD quite a few times now in the last few
weeks with no success. I am beginning to expect that it is the over
enthusiastic firewall here at college that causing my troubles but
thought I should check. The main webpage linked to above works fine, but
any URLs that involve a different port do not work, so I cannot check
who is online or create and account etc. Also, I can't telnet in or
connect with a MUD client.

So, has the MUD been down a lot recently, or is this a problem at my end?

half.

Archived from groups: rec.arts.int-fiction,rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

In article <20050313125755860+0000@news.ox.ac.uk>,
half <half@nospam.fakeaddress.com> wrote:
>In <d0vojb$sre$1@drizzle.com> Dan Shiovitz wrote:
>
>> This is the official announcement that the 2004 XYZZY Awards will be
>> held next weekend, Sunday March 20th, at 4pm EST (9pm GMT), on ifMUD:
>> http://ifmud.port4000.com/
>> Come on by and check 'em out!
>

>I have tried to connect to the MUD quite a few times now in the last few
>weeks with no success. I am beginning to expect that it is the over
>enthusiastic firewall here at college that causing my troubles but
>thought I should check. The main webpage linked to above works fine, but
>any URLs that involve a different port do not work, so I cannot check
>who is online or create and account etc. Also, I can't telnet in or
>connect with a MUD client.

I'm afraid that does sound like a firewall issue on your end. I've
been thinking about trying to get the web client running on the
standard web port, which would fix things -- this is good incentive
for me to actually get on that.

--

In <d12162$v3m$1@drizzle.com> Dan Shiovitz wrote:

> I'm afraid that does sound like a firewall issue on your end. I've
> been thinking about trying to get the web client running on the
> standard web port, which would fix things -- this is good incentive
> for me to actually get on that.

That would be fantastic. Otherwise I'll have to try to find an internet
cafe somewhere...

half.

"Dan Shiovitz" <dbs@cs.wisc.edu> wrote in message

> I'm afraid that does sound like a firewall issue on your end. I've
> been thinking about trying to get the web client running on the
> standard web port, which would fix things -- this is good incentive
> for me to actually get on that.

For what it's worth, I have the same problem -- the firewall at work blocks
most protocols other than HTTP, and all the ports other than the standard.
This prevents me from using the MUD the hours of the day I'm actually
sitting next to a computer...

So yeah, another vote for trying to set up the web client to use the
standard port..

- Oren R.

In article <d13ink$ok0$1@news.sap-ag.de>, Oren Ronen <oren3@isdn.net.il> wrote:
>"Dan Shiovitz" <dbs@cs.wisc.edu> wrote in message
>>
>> I'm afraid that does sound like a firewall issue on your end. I've
>> been thinking about trying to get the web client running on the
>> standard web port, which would fix things -- this is good incentive
>> for me to actually get on that.
>>

>For what it's worth, I have the same problem -- the firewall at work blocks
>most protocols other than HTTP, and all the ports other than the standard.
>This prevents me from using the MUD the hours of the day I'm actually
>sitting next to a computer...
>
>So yeah, another vote for trying to set up the web client to use the
>standard port..

Two votes is enough to carry the motion -- you should be able to use
it at
http://ifmud.port4000.com/cgi-bin/webly.cgi

--

In <d1b7mv$1mc$1@drizzle.com> Dan Shiovitz wrote:
> In article <d13ink$ok0$1@news.sap-ag.de>, Oren Ronen <oren3@isdn.net.
> il> wrote:
>>"Dan Shiovitz" <dbs@cs.wisc.edu> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I'm afraid that does sound like a firewall issue on your end. I've
>>> been thinking about trying to get the web client running on the
>>> standard web port, which would fix things -- this is good incentive
>>> for me to actually get on that.
>>>

>>For what it's worth, I have the same problem -- the firewall at work
>>blocks most protocols other than HTTP, and all the ports other than
>>the standard. This prevents me from using the MUD the hours of the day
>>I'm actually sitting next to a computer... So yeah, another vote for
>>trying to set up the web client to use the standard port..
>
> Two votes is enough to carry the motion -- you should be able to use
> it at
> http://ifmud.port4000.com/cgi-bin/webly.cgi

OK, I've had a go and it works. I'm not sure if it works as well as a
telnet connection since the refreshing is a bit disorienting, but it
does work and that really is a great step up for us be-firewalled people.

However, we still can't create accounts... Is there some chance that
this could be done at a non-bloacked port? If not, could you make me an
account and email the details to me? Presumably I could then log in and
change the password and details etc. If so, email me on:

toby then an at symbol then amirrorclear then dot then net.

Cheers,
half.

Archived from groups: rec.arts.int-fiction,rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 21:56:59 +0000 (UTC), dbs@cs.wisc.edu (Dan Shiovitz)
tried to confuse everyone with this message:

>This is the official announcement that the 2004 XYZZY Awards will be
>held next weekend, Sunday March 20th, at 4pm EST (9pm GMT), on ifMUD:
> http://ifmud.port4000.com/
>Come on by and check 'em out!

Anyone got the transcripts? My internet connection died right in the
middle of the ceremony...

--
|a\o/r|,-------------.,---------- Timofei Shatrov aka Grue ------------.
| m"a ||FC AMKAR PERM|| mail: grue at mail.ru http://grue3.tripod.com |
| k || PWNZ J00 || Kingdom of Loathing: Grue3 lvl 18 Seal Clubber |
`-----'`-------------'`-------------------------------------------[4*72]

http://eblong.com/zarf/award-transcript5.html

--
Sophie Frühling

"El arte no viste pantalones."
-- Rubén Darío

Sophie Fruehling wrote:
> grue@mail.ru (Timofei Shatrov) wrote:
>>
>>Anyone got the transcripts? My internet connection died right in the
>>middle of the ceremony...
>

> http://eblong.com/zarf/award-transcript5.html

Is there a summary of the awards? The transcript is rather long, and in-crowdy.
--
osfameron

http://www.xyzzynews.com/2004winners.html

---- Mike.