printer-scanner-fax all in one

guido

Distinguished
May 7, 2004
hi. I've to buy a new printer and a scanner at a reasonable price (200 euro for both). In a computer shop I have seen a multifunctional peripheral HP PSC1215 (ink jet printer scanner fax) at 65 euro. How good is the quality of these multifunctional products? In particular the quality of the integrated printer is comparable with the quality of normal hp printer? Thanks to all.

Guido

Osage

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Dear Guido,

While I cannot comment on that particular HP model, you should check a recent Tom's hardware guide test on multifuntional printers dated April 8, 2005. I would really recommend you also investigate two Canon models--one US model number is a MP780 with the same printer engine as the pixma ip4000. May bust your bank in Europe but would offer excellent printing economy. Or the US model equilalent of the MP 390 with the same printer engine as the Canon ip1500. Much cheaper to buy but has higher consumable costs than the MP780; but still slightly lower than any HP model. Buy non-oem cartridges for the Canon mp390 on the internet and consumable costs really drop. Google nifty stuff forums for info on this. Or do what I did, buy the now discontinued but still available Canon Mp730 if you can find it at an attractive price. Buy a HP or Lexmark with the printhead on the cartridges itself and you get stuck paying ripoff rates
for consumables. All I can say is to really look at the few quality sites on the internet before buying. Another good site is Steves Digicams. If you are going to be looking at
all in one unit as an investment and a tool, I recommend you also look at what it will cost you in the long run.

But by in large a fax is a fax and all are roughly equivalent. Printers themselves vary in quality of output, economy of operation, durability, and other factors. The quality of the scanner you get with an all in one may be adequate for most tasks, but I have never seem a scanner in an all in one unit that will come close to the resoluition one would get in a top quality scanner; understandable when you consider what I would rate as a top quality scanner exceeds the costs of any of the all in one units mentioned.
So look also at your needs in terms of top quality.

I really recommend you research your options before buying.
Good sites on the internet are there, they are just buried under tons and tons of hype and huxterism.

Osage

Osage

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Dear Guido,

Its now morning here and I have slept since I posted my first reply. But I did do some research on the specifications of the HP PSC1215. While I am not an expert on HP's, I would guess that that particular model is based on an existing HP printer and HP simply adding on a fax and a flat bed scanner. So I would assume you would get equal printing and durability on the printing part of this multifunctional by researching the HP printer engine this model is based on. Also, from what I have read, the newer cheaper HP models are not lasting very long. Crapping out in a year or so. The older HP models were built like tanks and last. I still have a working HP officejet 520 seven years old I use as a backup fax.

If your antisipated printing volume will be fairly high I would warn you away from this PSC 1215 model because the cartridges are on the smallish side. 10ml for the low capacity and 19 ml for the high capacity black cartridge. In tri-color its 8 ml for low and 17 ML for the high capacity. And you can bet your butt when you buy the printer you will get the low capacity cartridges. By way of comparison, the better and more expensive HP models have ink jet cartridges in the 30 to 40 ML volume range. And those more expensive models will have OEM replacement cartridge costs about equal to what you pay for the low capacity cartridge. Bottom line, if you stick to OEM cartridges in the HP models, you pay about four times as much per printed page ( or ML of ink ) with a cheap printer like the PSc 1215 as you would with a slightly better HP model with higher capacity cartridges. The same is true of all printer manufacturers, they all have such cheap models where the money to be made is in the ink.----you can sell the printer at a loss. But by the time the consumer replaces the cartridges once on a cheap printer, they would have been better off to pay more for a better printer to start with. Replace the cartridges twice and the consumer can really repent at their leisure. After all, you can kick your self in the butt so much harder when your wallet is empty.

I also did not address the various options you have. You stated you needed a printer and a scanner. Once you have those two items, you then have the copy option by implication. Adding a fax to the above combination is an extra expense (15-20 Euro's) worth paying if you can use it but worthless if you don't need it. All printer manufacturers have all in ones with or without the fax.

In terms of a scanner there are two broad options. Either a sheetfeed scanner able to only accept thin items no thicker
than a piece of paper or a more expensive flatbed that can
scan a wider variety of items. More versatile and more expensive. You have to decide what you need.

Another flatbed scanner consideration is does the scanner lamp come on when the computer boots up automatically. This lamp auto on has a plus side in that when something needs scanned the user does not have to wait as long for the lamp to really go to high power scanning mode. The downside is that being on when not needed can eventually burn out the lamp.

If you are like me, desktop space is at a premium. There is simply no room for a seperate flatbed scanner. So having the flatbed scanner sit on top of a printer with a slighly bigger footprint printer is an attractive option. The downside is that if any function on an all in one needs repair or replacement, you lose the lot while repairing or may lose a perfectly good printer simply because your scanner goes bad and its too expensive to repair. If you have the desktop real estate, you may be better off getting a seperate better quality printer and one of the very inexpensive flatbed scanners. Such an inexpensive flatbed scanners will do a very adequate job scanning most things. Its only when you need superquality to do things like scanning small film negatives or need super high quality that a better flatbed scanner is needed. Normally when just copying something like a piece of paper, you will see no difference scanning with a scanner only capable of 1200 dti vs a scanner capable of 4800dti and costing eight times as much. Its always nice to have the super high quality but is it worth the much much higher purchase price? Only your needs and the state of your pocketbook can make that decision.

Hope this helps you---I had to answer the same basic set of questions in deciding what to buy. I hope I choose wisely.

Osage

guido

Distinguished
May 7, 2004
Osage I've no words to define your kindness....I never expect from nobody a so large and competent answer...really really thanks...

Guido

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by guido on 06/22/05 04:59 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Osage

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Dear Guido,

Thank you for your kind words--as you can see I am somewhat passionate on the subject.

If this helps some one else make wiser consumer choices in selecting printers or all in one choices, its a bonus.

But when I am roll with this rant, I just want to say how angry I am at world marketing of products in general. It almost seems to operate on what I call the law of Turkey--
no matter how bad a given product is someone has a product that is even worse and a bigger ripoff.

Instead of improving the base product, the manufacturer touts some worthless added bell or whistle, and hides any
good product comparisons under tons and tons of hype. The Internet has become nothing but a free advertising billboard drowning out any sanity and frustrating most searches for quality information.

Is that the fault of the manufacturer who seeks profits or the fault of the consumer who does not demand better?

I just googled "inkjet printers" and got 3.33 million hits.
Of all those sites no more than about 20 of these sites contain what I would define as really thoughtful comparative information. Tom's Hardware guide makes my short list. I am really grateful for the great printer tests to be found here. The testers don't take the printer manufactucer's word for it on per page printing cost, they test.----a really rare comodity on the internet.

Just imagine if every ink jet printer user world wide could save just $50.00 per year by making better choices how much money that would free up to do better things.

Osage