Monitor stays in sleep mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

carm

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
Hi everyone,

I have been searching for an answer to no avail. I am really hoping someone here can give me some advice.

I have a Dell Inspiron 531 with the Dell E207WFP monitor.
128MB NVidia 8300GS
AMD Athlon 64 xz Dual Core Processor 5000+

Originally, I used the DVI connection for my monitor.

A few weeks ago, when I rebooted my computer, my monitor would not come out of sleep mode. I researched and tried different things over the next few days. Through pure luck, I decided to try the VGA cable, and my monitor began working just fine.

Unfortunately, when I had to reboot yesterday, my monitor once again remained in the sleep mode.

I have tried everything I can think of including powering down and leaving off, rebooting, checking for loose connections inside computer.

Now, neither the DVI nor the VGA cable "fix" the problem.

System boots up ok. I hear one beep. I hear the "music" when the log on screen comes up. And I am able to log onto the system. But, the monitor remains in sleep mode.

Do you know of anything else I can try? Is there a chance that it is the graphics card?

Thank you!

G

I'd have a look at the BIOS screens, section about energy saving, and disable all power saving measures temporarily.

carm

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
I tried to hook up a very old dell monitor that I have (one of the first flat panels), but it only displays a few bars of various colors as if the signal is not going through completely. I guess that could be because the display is set too high for the old monitor.

I don't have any other monitors to try with it.

I am trying to figure out if this is the graphics card or something else. Very frustrating to not have the monitor!

Also, don't know if this is any help, the reason I had to reboot is because I absent mindedly clicked on a zip file instead of right clicking to use my 7zip program. My windows zip utility has been corrupted. So, of course, I had the internet explorer browser opening and closing. The only way I know to get out of that loop is to reboot.

shazzalol

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2010

If the light goes on then off again on your monitor then try holding down a key on your keyboard when turning on your computer

G

I had this same wake up problem with a Dell monitor and tried all the suggestions I found in chat threads, even buying a new monitor without consistent resolution of the problem. What finally worked was disabling "Hybrid Sleep" in favor of standard sleep mode. I think this just bypasses the root cause of the problem, but both new and old monitors wake up now.

Based on my research here is why I think it worked: The failure to wake up was likely due to an inadequate electronic signal (which is why repeatedly turning the monitor off and on sometimes wakes it up--the on-button gives a stronger electronic burst than the wake-up signal). Hybrid sleep mode has an extra operation which makes recovery several seconds longer compared to standard sleep mode, hence the electronic requirement for standard sleep recovery is a bit less.

Hybrid sleep has a feature which allows recovery of unsaved work in the event of a power outage. That is what you lose if you disable it in favor of standard sleep mode.

amedure1

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2011
I had this same wake up problem with a Dell monitor and tried all the suggestions I found in chat threads, even buying a new monitor without consistent resolution of the problem. What finally worked was disabling "Hybrid Sleep" in favor of standard sleep mode. I think this just bypasses the root cause of the problem, but both new and old monitors wake up now.

Based on my research here is why I think it worked: The failure to wake up was likely due to an inadequate electronic signal (which is why repeatedly turning the monitor off and on sometimes wakes it up--the on-button gives a stronger electronic burst than the wake-up signal). Hybrid sleep mode has an extra operation which makes recovery several seconds longer compared to standard sleep mode, hence the electronic requirement for standard sleep recovery is a bit less.

Hybrid sleep has a feature which allows recovery of unsaved work in the event of a power outage. That is what you lose if you disable it in favor of standard sleep mode.

im having the same trouble I have biostar k8m800 micro am 2 visiontek
hd 3650 agp with IBM monitor this all started a few weeks ago I just keep hitting the power button sooner or later the mon will wake up but win 7 tries to do a start up repair finds no problems

Status
Not open for further replies.